Upcoming Changes to the Ashran, Isle of Conquest, and Wintergrasp Epic Battlegrounds

Yes that was hardly believable … I think I made a mistake there because I left the Glavies free at the end and headed to the horde boss . Should have just stayed and tried to kill the horde Glavies . But I thought we had won . :man_facepalming:t4::man_facepalming:t4::man_facepalming:t4:

Edit :- We lost by 3.6 percent .

Was it 3.6%? That’s even worse :joy: It was pretty chaotic but before I died and ended up at hangar graveyard I vaguely remember 6-7%.

Or maybe you were still alive in the boss room for a few more seconds after that?

Either way, it was a stupidly close loss. Would’ve been prevented if our Alliance pugs had squeezed out just a little more DPS out of their buttons.

It’s unfortunate, you hate to see it.

Well atleast it was a good game . I don’t mind losing like that . Ally did everything correct except at the very end . That Horde team just refused to give up.

Wintergrasp IS WAY overpowered for defense still.

I’d like to see a buff to Wintergrasp guard’s damage/HP. Make it more of a challenge for defense to take the workshops in the southern areas of the map and allow offense to utilize the guards for extra protection/pressure against attackers. Right now the guards are a joke.

1 Like

Just because you’re smart, doesn’t mean the other masses are. It’s not fun to have 20 Horde up top, be one of 2 or 3 that know to gtfo into the tower when he does the knockback, and then still be 2-3 vs. 20 Horde, instead of 20-30 vs 20 Horde.

Attrition is still attrition, even if 75% of it is sheer cannon fodder.

Looking forward to Ashran

More players??? Your engine cant even handle the current numbers!!!

1 Like

Well, Mr Blue Post- it didn’t work did it? The quality of Alliance players is just appalling. Remember the definition of insanity? They insist on doing the same strat over and over again expecting a different outcome. Teamwork is non-existent with players all over the map and the three-way split on the Isle is a joke - docks people (I am not one side or the other on this)- just an observation - the docks players who refuse to support any other strat need to cease and desist. Both strats work, and don’t get me started on the Valley boys who run down to IBT so they can get ganked and respawn back past that choke point south of the Ally base. Hey, guys - it is all about controlling graveyards in that one! Ashran is just a tactical nightmare - watch the map - it’s like stepping on an ant nest and the Ally ants scatter to the four winds. Occasionally I’ll get into a group of geared Alliance and sometimes one with brains, but it is pretty rare.

1 Like

Ashran plays about the same as it did before. Only differences are easy of access to Song Flower and summoning Fangraal on both sides.

Honestly, no idea what you can do to make this BG better.

The only difference I see in Wintergrasp is that offense has a chance to lose faster than before if defense takes out the south towers.

Ideas:
South workshops cannot be taken by the defense team since offense cannot take the ones in the base.
It would keep defense from gaining an overwhelming amount of vehicles, and make it easier to defend south towers.
AND/OR
Allow offense to counter a south tower being destroyed by destroying a base tower to restore time on the clock.

Xenny - the problem with Wintergrasp as I see it is that Blizz are fixated on the rank-before-build mechanic. It isn’t logical and the BG would be vastly different (better) without it.

Yeah, I got into an in-progress game that was about halfway through the other day.
I had no rank and could not even jump onto a vehicle.
My only choice was to run in there and try and get some kills while catas shot flames up my butt and demos lobbed fireballs at my face. :frowning:

They changed this so anyone who is in the battleground or joins after the first 5 minutes automatically gets rank 1.

Was typing here as I got into an EBG - Wintergrasp Offense as it happens- we got everyone committed all at once on the South road ,rolled them at SR in an epic fight , hit their East Wall and kept feeding seige engines for ten minutes till we broke through. Didn’t hurt to have a magic backcap team though.

I was in a game 25 allinces 38 hord whats up with that .it should be even numbers not give other side auto win

@Linxy

Recently there has been an uptick in posts complaining about Isle of Conquest.

What happens is that team A (an organized/coordinated premade on 3rd party voice comms) completely ignores Quarry and Oil Refinery, while the unsuspecting team B (a group of casual/uncoordinated players) usually ends up capturing these nodes.

The result is that due to the passive “+reinforcements” effect provided by Quarry and Oil Refinery, it is almost impossible for team B to ever run out of reinforcements.

Team A then “traps” team B at a certain graveyard and kills them over and over for a couple hours. And because there is no time limit in Isle of Conquest, the match only ends when team A “decides” that it ends… team B is basically held hostage inside the instance.

3-4 hour long Isle of Conquest matches do not seem to be what the WoW developers intended with this map (seems like that “degenerate gameplay” that ion has mentioned), and it also goes against Blizzard’s “play nice, play fair” philosophy.

Here are some simple solutions/fixes that would immediately address these kinds of complaints regarding Isle of Conquest:

1. implement a “time limit” into Isle of Conquest (just like Wintergrasp)
  2. remove the passive “+reinforcements” effect from Quarry/Oil Refinery
  3. both

I believe implementing a “time limit” into Isle of Conquest is probably the most appropriate solution here, but solution # 2 should also be considered.

3 Likes

Winning on reinforcements in a drawn out siege is a plausible strat, so I doubt that’ll be changed. Adding a timer to Epic BGs is somewhat opposed to the main idea - hours long AVs are the kind of games people wish would happen more often. A lenient timer - like an hour per IoC perhaps - could work, but making too many accommodations for a random premade doesn’t make much sense.

2 Likes

Wintergrasp has a 45 minute timer.

Just add the same time limit to Isle of Conquest, problem solved.

Most IoC matches (…the normal, premade-free ones) are over in under 30 minutes anyway, 45 minutes is plenty of time for the typical match involving random players.

Over 800 honorable kills in a single Isle of Conquest game is not “winning on reinforcements in a drawn out siege”. It’s blatant abuse of the situation.

1 Like

The map isn’t based around outliers, most IoC games are nothing like the ones Ruin do. Turtling and defending even with your gate down is certainly winnable, I’ve seen a few drawn out such games. Taking away win conditions makes the maps feel much more linear, a scenario where long sieges occur more often than always ending in a boss kill might liven up the map.