Unreliable Narrators - Battle of Dazar'Alor Dialogues

In this article we learn that Genn Greymane’s dialogue to Rastakhan demanding surrender is different between Horde and Alliance perspectives. While the Horde narrator telling the story paints Genn as a more sinister negotiator who demands Telanji as a hostage, the Alliance dialogue just has him straight up asking for Surrender and then reluctantly having the heroes attack.

Tell us, Blizzard, what’s with this alternate dialogue instead of just having one version?

Why do you have to lie to your players? It’s either you really do think Alliance players are soft skinned babies who are afraid to get their hands dirty or be part of that “moral grayness”, or you have to create B.S. to get the Horde players dander up?

Which is it? :confused:

5 Likes

almost like people recall things differently, and often in a manner that suits their narrative.

4 Likes

Considering the Alliance are the ones that are actually there, and the Horde players only hear about what happened through a second-hand source, I’d say this pretty much confirms that the Horde version is either an exaggeration or an outright lie.

This has me wondering if there are similar false dialogues in the retelling of the Horde’s counter attack against the retreating Alliance forces.

Personally, I would have preferred just straight up and honest single versions between the two.

It’s called Blizzard actually making an interesting and realistic story. Because it shows the factions interpreting things differently.

1 Like

I’ll believe that if I see that the Alliance retelling of the Horde’s counterattack is equally fabricated.

1 Like

Unreliable narrators are not effective in a story medium where you can immediately find out the truth by logging into an alt. We know horde outrage is manufactured because we can play both versions of the scenario to get the truth.

Seconding what Rorrand said above.

The Alliance are the faction that was physically there at the time, so it stands to reason they saw the actual dialogue unfold. The Horde point of view is a second-hand recount from some scout; i.e. what you’re seeing is what you’re being told happened.

I don’t know if there are any differences in dialogue for the final three bosses, but if there are you’d assume the Horde side is accurate. Again, the Alliance are “experiencing” a second-hand report.