Unrealistic/jaded reactions really grind my gears

Right so I don’t want to come off as someone trying to tell people how to play their character but one thing that gets tiring is seeing every character act jaded to things in the most unrealistic fashion. Like they could see the most insane thing happen right before their eyes, they could see a horde of fel hounds tear apart a small child and they would be like -my character has no emotional response to this because my character has been through so much that this is just a daily occurrence.- Like I know some people’s charecter’s have been through crazy things or that maybe even oocly people have been through stuff but if everyone’s character is a jaded edge lord andy it kind of takes the fun out of rp. This isn’t even just perpetrated by bad rpers this is a problem I have seen with people who are actually good writers too. I think sometimes people forget what a realistic human reaction to crazy unhinged things is because everyone wants their character be cold hard and tough, or reserved, elegant and regal. This is just a thought idk.

4 Likes

I really get that, and honestly kind of takes away the whole spirit of adventure and fighting away.

Sure you can be tough, but if you have any type of heart at all seeing a innocent civilian or a kid get torn apart from fel hounds, should the very leasy activate your flight/fight/freeze mode.

I mean thinking about the Illidan book, it shows different perspectives of seen horrible things.

From tears streaming downs one face, to rage just completely consumes them after seeing their loved ones murdered, to even some illidari throwing themselves from roof tops because what theyve seen and snapped.

Even the one of the main charaters reacting to his son’s death from a fel hound.

Theres got to be some type of feeling their even for dh. I would say maybe only dk’s and some undead that would seem mostly numb, and they probably would still react in some way depending.

So 100% agree with you

3 Likes

I feel the same way about this. Sometimes adding realism and empathy comes with more experience. When I was an inexperienced roleplayer, I had to focus on learning roleplay and lore, remembering etiquette, and developing personality and backstory within the lore. When you gain more confidance, you have more time to dedicate to nuances. :slight_smile: Age and maturity level may come into play here as well.

I think that part of it also comes with just not being able to personally “see” the gruesomeness in question as a player, so it can be difficult to imagine and convey in writing. I really make a conscious effort to put myself in my characters’ shoes. Still, it can be hard to add that layer of realism.

P.S. I love the Illidan book! It offers great examples of emotional reactions, especially for roleplayers. With that, I agree that death knights and undead definitely have feelings to varying degrees which have been shown many times in quests, official stories, etc.

3 Likes

Those kinds of players are called teenagers. Theyll learn eventually. I cant wait until they find out that goofy people exist irl.

1 Like