Unpopular Opinion? Bring back resilience or PVP power?

I think we often struggle to place our finger on exactly what is wrong with gearing in BFA.

I think it mostly revolves around the RNG aspects of gearing, while using PVE as the primary means to acquiring good gear for pvp. Its also very problematic for how having certain corruption traits determines your chances for winning games at higher rating.

I know that Blizzard is planning to bring back the honor vendor and the conquest vendor, but I am not sure this does anything for us if raid and m+ pieces still end up being BIS for the majority of our slots.

There are a couple of options available to us:

1. Put resilience or pvp power back as a two set bonus for trinkets, making pvp trinkets automatically better than some of the craziness we have been seeing from raid trinkets. Orā€¦
  2. Put resilience and or PVP power back on all pvp gear, have it scale slightly from the initial honor set to the conquest set, then have those values remain static throughout the rest of the expansion while primary and other secondary stats get better over time.
  3. I suppose the third option is templates but templates didnā€™t work well for a couple of reasons:

The primary reasons were a lack of diversity in builds, loss of character customization, and reduction of overall skill ceiling which hurts the game overall. Some might argue that there is no skill in gearing properly and getting the right stat priority, but I would argue that it takes a little bit of research and investment to take the time to properly gear your character for what you want the most out of your class. Some people will put in the effort to gear properly, and some wouldnā€™t. I think those that put the extra effort in should be rewarded with higher chances of success.

I digress. The TLDR is this: If you are bringing pvp vendors back, but not doing anything to address the issue at hand, which is the impacts of pve gear on arena, you arenā€™t fixing one of the core problems that continues to hurt wow pvp to this day. Thanks for reading.

8 Likes

I also liked wods way, gear scales up in instanced pvp.

5 Likes

pvp power was turned on longer than most players realised. was fun stacking it

2 Likes

Iā€™m not into ā€˜PvP specific statsā€™.

I would rather have a system where there is no titanforging and there are BiS gear slots that can be reached through PvP or PvE but are matched in power accordingly. Balanced progression. The mythic dungeon gear would have to be balanced the most

So a 2400+ ranked PvP player can still take his epic gear Into PvE situations without feeling like a powerless peon and so a casual player that enjoys both PvP and PvE content can still mix and match gear from PvP and PvE to gain power to excel in one field or the other or both.

There are ways to properly make PvP gear and PvP Vendors valid without making PvP specific stats and ultimately I think that is better. At the beginning of BFA everyone had to carry around all these dumb peices of Azerite armorā€¦ banks were full of stupid sets and it gets annoying. Let me mix and match cool upgrades I get from both types of content. I dont want to feel like I need to wear PvP specific gear when im doing WQs in SL because I dont want to suck at PvP and be at a disadvantage because I forgot to quickly equip my ā€˜PvP Setā€™, and I always play with WM on not just for the bonus but because I like the aspect of PvPvE. The thought of having to keep a separate set of armor just for PvP engagement in a world setting like questing or WQs is annoying and it reminds me of juggling azerite gear.

If they introduce a PvP only stat then I will feel like Iā€™m wasting time PvEing and it will kill motivation to PvE at all. It just feels like it splits the game in half and turns it into more of a pickup game than ever. I will feel like I need to just level to max, then instantly start playing quecraft and PvPing. No point in doing mythic dungeons, WQs or any raid for any reason at all besides maybe a trinket, mount or pet?

They need to fix the system they have now, get rid of the titanforging, balance the mythic gear with the PvP gear and give vendors for specific cool badass looking PvP Tier setsā€¦ and possibly with the ability to upgrade over time with some sort of currency. Add in color shades to buy with said currencyā€¦ even add color shades to buy with said currency

I donā€™t disagree with the argument you are making. I can definitely see where you are coming from. The core problem that I think we are all trying to solve, is pvpers being unable to effectively gear through pvp content. If you look at the best in slot gear for pvpers in the last tier, you had to have 80% or more raid and mythic plus gear.

Pvpers were forced to do forms of content they did not want to do, in order to be even remotely viable (let alone competitive). Thats a huge problem that the majority of the pvp community is upset about.

I think a way they could mostly solve this is (retrospective to my OP) and still allow you to do everything and feel relatively rewarded for it, would be to make the pvp vendor have every stat combination possible, and then to have a two set trinket bonus that gives a large dmg reduction from players while in arena, bgs, and rbgs. You will already have to have a medallion equipped if you want to be able to get out of any crowd control in warmode open world. That is a change they have already made.

This will never ever, ever, ever, ever happen in a ā€œgear is gearā€ scenario.

If thereā€™s ever a situation where a considerable amount of BiS gear (in PvE content) is earned faster / as fast in PvP, deterministically, the outrage would be insane. It will never happen.

There needs to be a PvP stat or WoD scaling. There are ways to do it such that two separate sets are not needed (unless youā€™re minmaxing).

3 Likes

Vanilla, you make a great point and speak for those who are pro PvE + PvP mixing. I agree with the power transition between PvE and PvP gear, but even in a perfectly balanced gearing system, there will always be a need for multi gear sets/multi talent specs and builds because your objectives between PvP and PvE are very different.

I agree, donā€™t add PvP stats or powers, thatā€™s a move in the opposite direction.

The only way I see this working is by adding PvP gear to vendors/chests which is exactly on par with PvE gear when comparing IL and stat distribution. To prevent mucking PvE progression, PvP gear needs to be gated behind longer acquisition windows, an increase in currency costs, AND PvP rating barriers when compared directly to the PvE counterpart.

That way, PvP players have the option to PvP for a full set of PvP gear, OR play PvE to provide a speed boost in gearing time. Ultimately no effect on power/skill, only time of acquisition. Months into an Xpac, you would see players with a full PvP OR PvE set at the exact same level of power.

Itā€™s not an unpopular opinion.

Stoopz poll has resil/pvp power at 90% approval.

4 Likes

Lol. Ion? Is that you? :wink:

Thanks for your time,

Barespanks

3 Likes

the problem with this is a PvE can farm a M15 9 times in a row until they get the BiS armor piece/wep they want but a PvPer has to wait until that item arrives in a weekly chestā€¦ the PvE counterpart is generally always going to be easier to obtain than the PvP counterpart in an RnG based system.

And this is why Blizzard has failed PVPers since Legion. ā€œGear is gearā€ means PVP gear has to be bad and slow to acquire.

WoD was fine to have everyone earn a set of honor gear in a couple of days because it didnā€™t mess with PVE at all (it was 30 ilvl lower outside PVP)

Bring back WoD gearing! Make PVP the best way to gear for PVP!

3 Likes

no resil anyday BUT NOT THAT SCALE CRAP

Hey! My first recommendation went through! Feelsgoodman

We need both resilience and set bonuses simultaneously.

1 Like

Wod pvp gearing was light years ahead of anything the following expansions produced. Why was it scrapped - that iā€™ll leave to braver minds then mine.

5 Likes

itā€™s actually very popular opinionā€¦

5 Likes

At least we have a trinket two set bonus nowā€¦ still might be hard to get perfect gear for pvp.

I just made a post highlighting the gear changes that came with WoD. They had it so perfect.

1 Like

Iā€™m not going to elaborate on my opinion because ultimately I donā€™t think Blizzard cares at all, but for what itā€™s worth: I want PvP specific stats back, like Resilience, and I donā€™t want to feel like I have to raid or do Mythic+ for PvP BiS. These past few years have made me basically sit out when it comes to PvP. If itā€™s not done right this time, Iā€™ll throw the towel in and find another game, at least for the PvP aspect of it.

3 Likes

I think ppl have the wrong idea about resilence and think that if that stat comes back pvp is going to get fixed and u wont have to do PVE , which is wrong, back in WoTLK and if u played also a private server of that expansion then you know that Resilence wasnt a good stat at all if u wanted to do PVP only u ended up doing PVE cuz most of the PVE gear in raid was BIS , so most ppl had offparts PVE and double trinkets PVE( in case you were human) that was the BIS for pvp having like 5 parts with resilence and the rest PVE with some resilence gems , same in cataclysm the BIS in the last patch was with some PVE gear too, so u always ended up doing PVE to be optimal in PVP , the only patch that i remember that i didnt have to do PVE at all was Pandaria with pvp power and pve items being downscaled in pvp scenarios but i have to admit that i t was kinda boring cuz u really didnt have to do any content at all just BGs and arenas 24/7 so in my opinion is better that u have to farm at least in raids some parts and the rest through PVP with versatility as the pvp stat.