Unpopular Idea: Thread Approval For GD Forums

Hello, GD Forums, it is Thanksgiving Break, and all around the nation, kids (and college students) are heading home, workers (or some of them, anyways) are taking a break from work to stuff their faces, and shoppers everywhere are preparing to fight for their Christmas gifts (though I wish they didn’t).

Anyway, today’s post is about an idea that I’m sure isn’t what we want, but is what we need on the GD forums: Threads should be approved by an MVP or Blizzard staff member before being posted for the world to see.

Now I’m sure some (read: all) of you are preparing to throw a bunch of mashed potatoes at me, so please allow me to explain why.

It is little secret around here that the GD forums on Sundays (and certain holidays) are always a mess. In fact, I am sure Sunday’s finest are preparing to deliver another round of unneeded madness tomorrow, much to the chagrin of more mature folks. It is also little secret that sometimes, forum suspensions do little to change the behavior of said trolls, spammers, and other members of Sunday’s finest.

But with a thread approval feature (possibly for those with MVP or staff status, or level 3 trust level if Blizzard is so inclined to), Sunday’s finest will have to look elsewhere to post their unneeded threads around here, and it would contribute to a much more constructive forum environment, thus improving the image of WoW and possibly leading to more subs from folks. And believe me, WoW needs all the sub help it can get, cos while Classic was nice, the sub boost will only be temporary unless they plan to reintroduce BC or WotLK (which while I wish they do, if only so I can convince my family to cease their foolish experiments with developing WoW RPG engines; I doubt they will reintroduce BC or WotLK), so WoW needs to clean up its image as best as it can.

Also, not to put too fine a point on this, but if none of my Facebook groups with 10K+ membership can post constructively without admins of those groups turning on post approval (as all 3 of the 10K+ membership groups I was or am a part of had to end up doing), then why in the name of pumpkin pie should the WoW forums not have a thread approval feature, especially when you consider the reputation of these forums on Sundays?

That is all. I yield. I now await your comments, questions, concerns, and insults.

2 Likes

Speech shouldn’t be regulated beyond profanity, spam, real life threats etc.

Moderating posts simply because Blizzard doesn’t agree with a customer’s opinion would be a good way to lose all of their customers.

19 Likes

plenty of moderation from the MVP wanna-bes and blizz shills already

4 Likes

How does an mvp moderate the forums?

:popcorn: :joy:

2 Likes

Oh gods no.

1 Like

True, but a bunch of trolling isn’t exactly good for customer retention either, and yet that seems to be all of what Sunday’s finest do.

2 Likes

And yet that’s exactly what you’re doing here… :thinking:

Albeit, kudos, because I know you’ll get plenty of bites.

4 Likes

Wait, do we bother taking breaks before stuffing our faces in America?

Also

No.

1 Like

This is a wonderful idea and would remove most of the spam and trolling that infests the forum.

I have an extreme doubt that there would be many players, more than a handful even, that would actually leave the game over a heavily moderated forum. If the forum is that important to them they probably don’t spend much time in the game anyway, so no real loss for the game, especially since you don’t even need an active sub to post on the forum anymore.

1 Like

In all fairness, they did put a bit of work into it. It’s always nice seeing them put effort into their posts instead of just throwing out a few lines and calling it good.

1 Like

Are you sure that you don’t need an active sub to post?

yes sir, 100% positive. It’s been this way since the new forum was instated.

Didn’t say they did. But the flag patrol is another story.

The people who run this forum dont’ want more work, imo.

1 Like

thread approval is a terrible idea. truly sunday-worthy.

but more active moderation to remove the obvious spam/trolls
disallow posting from unactive subs
and giving us an ignore feature so we can simply not see the slap in the face trolls that they continue to allow posting here.

those would go a long way to improving the forums.

this alone would remove a massive chunk of the spam and trolling.

I’m against any form of censorship indiscriminately.

1 Like

Most of y’all weren’t here when Palehoof was an MVP and it shows.

There are too many posters and too few moderators for thread approval to ever be a thing, not to mention that the mods we do have aren’t terribly consistent in their moderation. It’s simply not a good idea.

5 Likes

unless they make me a moderator.

then it’s a great idea.

1 Like

This. All of this right here.

2 Likes