Unoffical Playable Saberon Discussion Thread

If we get an expansion where we have to fight the light, then honestly that’d work just fine as well. Could very well be a situation of the Army of the Light turning on us, because of Yrel from AU draenor somehow came here. I mean I highly doubt Blizzard would just leave that in the dirt, the possibilities for it are nearly endless.

I honestly don’t think Saberon being neutral makes much sense personally, and also believe that Arrakoa would be the best thing to pair Saberon with around the time they become playable. Simply due to their history with one another and possible interactions/story we could receive from it. However it’s still a possibility Blizzard won’t give Arrakoa alongside the Saberon, we could get them two expansions apart in all likelihood. Also, had no idea there was a good faction of Mogue, didn’t really play BFA all that much after Nazjatar.

Duskwood, now while my knowledge is limited on the subject of it’s corruption, as it’s been a very long time since I’ve touched the quests there… But if I’m not mistaken the land was corrupted after the death of Medivh. It’s an incredibly dangerous land that’s crawling with undead, nightbane worgen, and massive man eating spiders. However if I’m not mistaken, I do believe that corruption is due to the fel, so unless they do some kind of corruption story with that, don’t see much happening. Although I am curious to see what would happen to a botani corrupted with wicker or fel magic, or even necromancy, think that would be neat to see but hard to execute. To be honest the area I think the Botani would be most interested in, that is closest to Stormwind… Would be Stranglethorn. It’s already a jungle, so assuming they flee south and find this land, what’s to stop them from trying to take it over? But again, that’s a bit of a stretch. May honestly just be better to provide them with a different threat.

See, I am a massive fan for horror, and adding to what Bagzak said, having a dungeon where we see the true horrors of the Botani would be really cool. We KNOW Blizzard can pull off that Horror aesthetic well, I mean look at Drustvar and the Blood Trolls, now toss in some botani and there you go. I’d want the dungeon to be very gritty and bloody, I can picture a pulsating biological plant thing that is just oozing the blood as it absorbs or crushes it’s victims. The Botani have always been terrifying, but that horror was never fully realized was it? Most of their areas are actually quite beautiful, yeah their actions were horrible, but… Where’s all the blood and gore?

I’ll check it out, I wouldn’t mind getting Furbolg as a playable race but they’re not really a race I want. Only races I personally want are Saurok (Sethrak if we dont get them), and Saberon. Love the more beastly races who still have some savagery in em… And we know both of these races can be friendly.

Nah but, the thought of Botani taking a more Horror themed route to me, is so fun. To be honest, when I saw the Lords of War episode for Kilrogg, then got to Gorgrond, in all honesty I assumed the thing they were so afraid of, WAS the Botani. It just made sense to me. Anyway, excited to see what we’ll get next expansion, fingers crossed for Saberon!

2 Likes

With the Saberon on the Horde territories (Kalimdor) I don’t see how the Alliance could help them. They could help the Horde to fight the Botani or try to find a way with the Horde to get a new home in the Barrens or in Durotar.

4 Likes

Happy Halloween! :jack_o_lantern: :tiger:

Whatever your plans are for today, please have a fun, happy, and safe Halloween! :skull: :man_vampire:

—3 days until Blizzcon starts (Nov. 3rd)!—

–Playable Saberon would be grrrrrrrreat! :cut_of_meat::tiger2:

4 Likes

TOMORROW is the day folks, TOMORROW is the day WE GET TO SEE, THE NEXT EXPANSION!!! LES GOOOOO!!

What do you all think we can expect? Some people have theorized a Elemental themed expansion, others a Light vs Void, and some people something entirely new, a return to the old world… Or Avaloren. Personally, I’m leaning towards the latter, hopefully with some returns to the old world as it is missed. But, if we go there, how do you think Blizzard could introduce the savage cat men we all know and love as a playable race, the Saberon? Or would they make an entirely different group of Saberon who happened to get to this island, or even a completely different kind of cat men… Hopefully of the non furry variation.

Give me your thoughts, and please tell me what you hope for in the next expansion the most!

2 Likes

While I have my usual hopes, I’m trying to keep an open mind so I don’t potentially get disappointed.

The only reasonable expectations I have are that we don’t get a Shadowlands calibur of an expansion and that if we get any new playable races, they’re ones that people have been requesting for quite some time as opposed to brand new ones coming out of nowhere. I’m not against new races being created and becoming playable of course, but I feel like adding in ones people have been requesting, not referring to any specific race to be clear, would go a long way in showing Blizzard is listening and getting some good will back. But we’ll see what does or doesn’t happen tomorrow.

So while expectations are tempered, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for my wishlist items to become a reality. :crossed_fingers:

—1 day until Blizzcon starts (Nov. 3rd)!—

3 Likes

The Q&A thread has opened and I asked a questions on behalf of a few race request megathreads. I’ll post a link to the post and the question I asked for this megathread below:

“Since it has been quite some time since Botani and Saberon came with us in the Mag’har unlock scenario, will we eventually deal with the growing Botani threat in the Barrens and work with the Saberon to get rid of it?”

Worth a try, even if it will likely not get answered.

I’ve got a lot to think of and word for different megathread posts with the recent announcements, especially since the Allied Race system is still being utilized. Makes me think that Saberon could work well as either a Core Race or an Allied Race.

Anyway, will post more later when I can.

2 Likes

Alright so, with the recent announcements of the expansions, what do you all think? Right now the only way I can see us getting Saberon, would be in the Midnight Expansion, where we make a return to the Old World and face the void. The Saberon and Botani are on Kalimdor, and it wouldn’t be hard to do something with the void. We know the Botani are a race driven by a hunger to devour the world in a jungle, and the void to devour the world in darkness… SO, wouldn’t be hard to imagine the void corruption some Botani and making use of their own corrupting magic.

Saberon, honestly the past ideas we discussed of them fighting off the light can be used, just swap out the army of the light for the void. Boom, done. Would still like them to be waring with the Botani but, not going to cry if that’s not a part of their story. Still, there is alot that can be done to allow the players to have the saberon as a player race. What do you guys think?

2 Likes

like - Ancient, Primal, Animal, etc

Took a bit of time to think on some stuff, and I think I can talk about Saberon stuff now. Will keep things kinda brief since I spent most of the day doing yard work, so my brain is a bit jumbled to be detailed unfortunately.

First off, with the Allied Race system being utilized again, I could see Saberon being either a Core Race or Allied Race again. I assume that as an Allied Race, they may utilize the Worgen model skeleton, though with edited animations, such as no howling. I could also see the Botani threat event being used to work towards unlocking them as an Allied Race, but I can also see it leading to them as a Core Race. Hard to know what is more likely.

Second, given that the new Allied Race is neutral, I’m wondering if it may be likely that Blizzard would lean towards neutral races in general when applicable. If true, I could see Saberon being neutral, with the Horde and Alliance working together to fight against the Botani threat on Kalimdor. One area with one new race would likely save a lot on development costs. Or we could get Horde Saberon and Alliance Botani as well. Who knows?

Saberon could also learn to work with the Mag’har if Horde and Lightforged Draenei if Alliance, or the Botani or Arakkoa could fill that role with the Alliance if they somehow became playable, and it can tie into a return of the Lightbound as them warning both factions of what they’ve been up to and not to trust them. I don’t know if neutral is best for Saberon as a whole, but it seems like a possibility. Moreso now that we have Horde Dwarves…what a weird thing to type up.

Speaking of the Lightbound, who knows how they’ll be utilized if they come to Azeroth. We do have a Void expansion coming up in Midnight, so I don’t know if they’ll play a role to help fight the void or if they’ll also be antagonists or what. Regardless, Saberon could play a role if they became a playable race and that evil Botani threat would still be a pretty great event.

There is a lot more to discuss, and since we don’t know much about the latter two expansions, we’ll have a lot to speculate. I’ll type up more of my thoughts later on, but that is what I have for this post.

5 Likes

An appropriate song for the upcoming patch. I imagine many Saberon on Azeroth want to find their own version of the Emerald Dream where they have a secure home and allies to help. While this is currently a dream, you can help make it a reality!

With the beginning of each month, I make in-game suggestions for each race I want to see playable along with a mention of their respective megathreads on these forums. While it is far from a guarantee of seeing our dreams come true, I do think every little bit helps, and doing it monthly I feel is reasonable and not that intrusive or annoying.

If you’re interested in doing the same for races you want to see playable, I made a little guide on how to do so in-game here:

Blizzard mentioned having 20 years of planning for WoW. Let us hope playable Saberon are within those plans somewhere! :lion:

3 Likes

they can add the ninja class

…That’s sub rogue.

SO, my sweaty toxic pvper side has been coming out quite a bit recently thus… I decided to give League of Legends a try with a few friends. First, love the art style, however gameplay, imo boring unless playing with friends. BUT ANYWAY, with this I’ve looked further into the lore of the game and everything, tbh makes me want to play the upcoming RIOT MMO… Assuming I can make le cat man assassin, GIMME!!

Now, why do I choose to post this? Well, looking at the abilities our dear friend Rengar, a champion and playable character of the game, I noticed some of his abilities are similar to ideas presented for racial abilities for saberon. Abilities I wanna focus on are Savagery, Battle Roar, and Bola Strike. Will first say, that none of these abilities need be copied one for one from this character, but taking inspiration from other games seems to be a strength that WoW has displayed many times… So, no harm in continuing with this tradition yes?

The first ability, “Savagery”, empowers the next two basic attacks with bonus attack speed. Something like this could be used as a bloodlust type of affect for the saberon. Could also just be a slight boost in damage, three to five percent maybe? Tbh I’d hope for a boost to crit, even if it were just 2% it’s something, as lately it seems the allied races have some good racials.

Next ability is called “Battle Roar”, one iteration deals magic damage to nearby enemies, and bonus damage to monsters, also heals him a little. A roar ability people have brought up in the past was a fear, or buff for the party, but we could do something like this maybe. Say, a small dot(?) heal, some damage tossed into it, could POSSIBLY deal extra damage to beasts, humanoids, or elementals? The latter one being due to the possibility of fighting the botani in their lore. However, I’m still personally leaning more towards a fear, stun, or some kind of crowd control affect.

Finally we have “Bola Strike”, and this slows the enemy for a time and deals some damage. Basically the net idea we discussed in the past, due to the saberon’s past I think an ability involving a bola or net would be best. Make it root the target in place completely, OR a slow, either one works for me as PvP is King.

The other ability is a stealth, which I dont really see Blizzard giving another stealth racial ability out, as with the proper use, it can be pretty game changing. Especially in Arena if you use it right. Anyway, thoughts?

2 Likes

Saberon should be a neutral race. They could even be from AU Draenor or something.

Cat people, yes, Microsoft, see the money surge :smirk_cat:

2 Likes

At this point, I can see neutral Saberon as a possibility.

While I would prefer to pair them up with Arakkoa or even Botani, I could see it being much easier to make Saberon neutral and have the whole Botani war thing as a way to introduce them to the Horde and Alliance afterwards. It seems like faction identity is unfortunately slowly breaking down, given the whole Rock Dwarves on Horde thing, and it seems unlikely we’d have another faction kerfuffle at some point, so it seems like neutral Saberon chances have risen recently.

I’ve seen some people wanting them on both factions in other threads, so if anything, it could please more people by doing that. And certainly, I can see things being written to have Saberon give warning about the Lightbound and what there were doing before the Saberon managed to jump ship to Azeroth, setting up a future meeting with the Lightbound in some fashion, as well as having a questline for the Saberon dealing with the Mag’har Orcs if Horde and Lightforged Draenei if Alliance, as I’m sure they’d be very dubious to both of them.

Honestly, I’d be fine with it if it meant actually having playable Saberon. As with any neutral race, I would always make at least the first character of that race Horde, since it is my preferred faction.

And speaking of that Botani War, while none of the questions I asked got answered (which I honestly expected), this was mentioned during the recent Q&A video:

"Clearing up any misconceptions - there’s no time travel in Midnight/The Last Titan. We recently healed the timeways in Dawn of the Infinite and have no reason to revisit that anytime soon. When Metzen said returning to the Old World, he meant seeing how familiar lands have changed and telling new stories within them. They want to ensure that future WoW storytelling keeps iconic settings relevant - we told the story of Northrend and the Lich King 15 years ago, keeping it stale and unchanging doesn’t really benefit the Warcraft universe.

So yes, we will be returning to the lands of Silvermoon, Quel’Thalas, and later Northrend - we’ll see how they’ve changed over time, expand, and reimagine them, but there’s no time travel, only moving forward. Those older spaces will also be updated to allow dynamic flying, with a seamless transition from EPL to the Ghostlands, etc."

So it is entirely possible that we could see the Barrens get revamped to reflect the Botani infestation that likely has been going on since BfA. Maybe as a pre-expansion event, maybe as part of an expansion, or perhaps that long waited old world (of Warcraft!) revamp that could come at some point.

Hopefully we’ll see something come of that at some point in the near future. Preferably with playable Saberon coming out of it of course. :lion:

3 Likes

I’ll be honest I’m tired of this neutral bull.

Its Warcraft and while some races being inherently neutral is good and well, its blocking races that have a real actual impact on the world and story from being made into actual AR’s. The Wildhammer, Ogres, Furbolg, Frostborn, Jinyu, Hozen, Taunka, Forest Trolls, Kelfin and Ankoan are all examples of side specific races that should have been added by now as AR’s but Blizzard is too afraid to, apparently to the point of recreating the exact story of the Dwarves as a whole in an entirely unrequested AR like the Earthen, just to make them neutral.

The factions should always be a thing and each race should almost always have its preferred faction in the story. It should only be a choice that players make that matters for us. Neutral shouldn’t be a thing a race is for the most part it should be a thing we are as a choice. The RACE should choose a faction and should have its story better told from those standpoints.

Saberon in my opinion should be Horde, though I can still see reason for them to be Alliance.

But I don’t think they should be Neutral.

3 Likes

I have to agree with Fen here, the game is called “World of Warcraft” and majority of the races have vital stories within the factions they have made homes in. Many people use that love for the very connection between faction and race for their characters in roleplay, and this very relationship can feed into one’s own love for any number of these fantastical races. With the introduction of these dwarves, there is the possibility that those very bonds may soon be torn away for whatever new race is introduced… Which is something I personally, as both a PvPer and Roleplayer, do not want. However I must acquiesce that as of late, the game has taken the route of “Peace over War” and this will likely lead us down the route of abolishing the entire idea of factions all together within WoW. My only hope is that before this happens, we get to see the Alliance become the bad guys, and some threat comes along that wipes out both of the Horde AND Alliance. This will thus set up the idea of “Hey, this guy is REALLY BAD, we gotta band together or we’re done for.” because we’ve never really lost in a meaningful sense, then they make a new faction that’s just every race and outside of some quests the alliance and horde are no more… Only then would I be fine with neutral races, as the concept does, in my opinion, diminish the idea of factions as a whole in a game that has, or had, heavy focus on factions.

What does this have to do with Saberon? Well, Saberon for me are the race I want to play more than any other. Back in MoP I was obsessed with the idea of playing a savage cat man rogue who lurked in the shadows only to pounce and slaughter it’s prey… Then that very thing was shown to us in WoD. So, it’s a race I desire to play, however despite me at the current moment maining Alliance, there aren’t many ways I can feasibly see saberon being part of the Alliance in a manner that makes sense. I’ll be happy with saberon on either faction, but in my mind it makes the most sense for them to only be playable for the Horde, alongside the Alliance getting the Arrakoa. However, if saberon for some reason are alliance, or nuetral then I will not complain, as they’ll still be playable… doesn’t mean I won’t RP them as Horde though

3 Likes

I was gonna blast you with some triggering troll comment but. … Well done man. Fantastic post and for what I thought was going to be a lame idea … I now fully support

3 Likes

would you guys want to be a lion, tiger, leopard, cheetah, etc

With US Thanksgiving coming up in a few days, I thought I would link some videos of some various types of wild cats getting to enjoy Thanksgiving. I tried to find videos I haven’t linked before, so apologies if any are repeats. Videos are below:

Hopefully Saberon will get to enjoy Pilgrim’s Bounty someday! :lion:

I’ll be making at least one more US Thanksgiving related post, but as usual, whatever your plans are for this week, please have a fun, happy, and safe US Thanksgiving! :turkey:

5 Likes