Unexplained Insane Luck Streak with Ice Fishing Holes

I’m trying to understand if there is some kind of hidden luck mechanic with ice fishing that I encountered few days ago. Here’s my story:

I’ve been farming coins for the Aquatic Shades for the last couple of weeks. I have +119 perception. Once maybe every 15-30 minutes I’ll get a copper coin, on average. It’s been a really slow build. A few days ago, I had farmed perhaps 50 copper and 1 silver thus far.

The day before yesterday, when Grimtusk’s Fishing Hole was up, along with the Suffusion Camp obnoxiously overlapping it, the craziest thing happened, and I’m not exaggerating this…

In one hour, regardless of weather or not it was a deep fishing hole or normal, I fished-up nearly a dozen copper coins, several silver coins, and I kid you not, two gold coins. Plus, I got several of each type of fishing crafting material as well as several recipes. In an hour. I have no idea how this happened. None of my fishing gear had changed.

The only thing different that I noticed was that sometimes the chat window would log that perception had granted me extra loot (which I’d never seen before).

I’ve been at the ice fishing holes since then trying to figure it out, but my luck is back to a single copper coin every so often, and sometimes a piece of crafting materials.

So, has anyone else experienced this insane luck streak? This surely has got to be some kind of hidden mechanic that I’m just not aware of. I just don’t get it.

Any ideas?

Nothing like that

I did have a bit of a streak at Forbidden Reach in the fishing area there. But it was more like 2 coins in 5 minutes. Thought maybe I had hit on something, but couldn’t duplicate it a couple days later.

It may have something to do with the fishing being Rich in that area. But I suspect you just hit an insane lucky streak.

Isn’t there an epic form of the ice pools? I bet you got a streak of those and it makes the % go way up.

Have been fishing for a long time now a bit before x mas, still hoping to get enough coins to buy Immaculate sac of Swog Treasures .Right now am at 43 coppers.You really got lucky i’d say i envie you

I get 1 or 2 copper coins every 450 fishes ± .So you really got lucky , maybe it is the bad luck protection that kicked in … and I have 145 perception.Another rng b/s from devs .

Just to follow-up on this, I haven’t since had another streak like this. What was especially odd was that it was the only time I’ve ever seen the text notification in my chat window that my perception had granted me bonus loot. I’ve never seen that before or since.

It almost makes me wonder if perception procs aren’t really buggy or perhaps just very rare (ridiculously so). I almost feel like I somehow triggered some kind of bug that either fixed perception so that it worked correctly, or maybe multiplied it. No idea.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the fishing loot mechanics (including perception) are just too opaque for us as players to be able to figure-out what’s going to happen or what the real odds are.

I suppose all I can do is to offer encouragement to folks who have been struggling with the RNG on these fishing goals. The stars might align and you get some kind of crazy streak!

1 Like

Thanks, perception has nothing to do with fishing i believe ,on an alt i got more coins in a single day not even max fishing and with an old rod.Just ridiculous , even with many coins we still have to face rng , as someone said to me they ruined professions including fishing .Never seen a cie being so mean to their customers.
Dev’s reasoning on this is It’S in the game but we don’t want you to have it

I’m pretty sure you got some deep ice fishing holes that according to wowhead only spawn at Grimtusk’s Fishing Hole. The lava pools have an epic form, the prismatic ones are epic to begin with, and the ice ones have deep ice fishing holes. All of the epic versions of the pools have a much much higher rate to catch the Tuskarr equipment and coins.

I think Perception does help with fishing but idk. Might as well use a Perception flask and put a perception enchant on your pole just in case.

1 Like

Thanks man for your post ,will do as u said