Unable to run Blizzard desktop app

At my wit’s end. About to uninstall WoW altogether and forget it forever. I have literally followed every article in the database even remotely related to getting the desktop app to run, including deleting all the related files multiple times.

This problem began early this morning when I clicked the bar at the bottom of the app after it told me an update to the app was available. It closed the app but never reopened the app’s window again, and never has since then no matter what I try.

I can run WoW by running WoW.exe from the retail folder, but if I can’t run the desktop app it will never update again!

Help? Please?

Hey there,

If the problem persisted beyond a reinstall, it could be that a security application does not recognize the new update and is blocking the app. Might recommend troubleshooting security applications as a next step.

If the issue persists beyond that definitely be sure to contact support with an MSinfo and DxDiag. They should be able to go into more in-depth on the specific system using the information those the files contain.

Hope the info helps. Cheers!

Thanks … but among other things I’ve already tried, was turning off the Win10 security temporarily while I was troubleshooting yesterday.

I also attempted to contact support yesterday, but there was literally no option to create a ticket. The contact support page requested a description of the problem etc., but there was “never” a button to create the ticket.

I’ve also made sure my video drivers are up to date, in case you were wondering.

Been a customer a long, long time and never encountered so many obstacles to resolving what ought to have been a pretty simple issue.

This page should be the ticket submission page. Though if that isn’t working for some reason, could you email me the system files instead? I’ll need both a dxdiag and msinfo.

To: techinfo@blizzard.com
Subject: ATTN KAL
Body: Link to this forum please
Attachment: The system files!!

This inbox is not monitored and will not send responses. It’s used to collect information for Technical Support to assist in troubleshooting.

Thanks! Hope we can get this fixed for ya ASAP!!

Thanks, the files have been emailed. – Hopefully something can be done!

Hey there,

I’m not seeing it in the inbox. If the mail gets kicked back for being too large, try putting the files into a zip folder before sending. Uploading them to pastebin is also fine but I do still recommend emailing them since we don’t normally ask for those over the forums.

In any case, looking forward to hearing from you!

I sent them again – msinfo.txt is 2MB and DxDiag.txt is 73KB. So they ought to be way smaller than your limits.

Anything yet? Did you get the second email even?

Okay, just sent for a third time. I don’t even know if you received the second set, as you didn’t reply yet.

Hey there!

It looks like the email came through over my weekend, sorry for the delay!

I’m seeing NVDisplay.Container.exe throwing errors! Lets be sure to reinstall the graphics drivers fresh and clean! To do this, use DDU to uninstall all current GPU drivers then install a fresh copy from the Nvidia website.

This may sound odd, but could we also remove the extra USB devices temporarily? Basically anything that’s not the mouse/keyboard.

Similarly, disabling (non-Windows) startup items via Task Manager then restarting the computer after doing all of the above would be great!

Sorry again for the delay! Let me know how things go!

1 Like

I did all of the above. It still will not run the Battle.net app.

I have run DDU in the past, so I was familiar with the process, and ran it from Safe Mode.

Any other ideas?