Unable to Reclaim Disk Space from WoW Classic Update

Okay it wasn’t exactly 200gb but around there… maybe closer to 150GB. It’s supposed to be 100GB so idk what the deal with that is, but that’s what the Bnet launcher and the folder size said it was. Either way, zero space was cleared up when I uninstalled it. So if you want, we can say it was the standard 100GB. Either way I never got the “100GB” back and still don’t have the space, on my C Drive, that I needed to install the new game I wanted to install at the time.

Did/do you have retail installed? Having both retail and classic installed takes up like 100gb depending. But I believe wow classic is approximately 15gb. Installing it right now it tells me I need 11.5GB of space. Do you think after deleting it you might’ve gotten 15gb and not noticed?

Have you looked at the other stuff you have installed on the computer to see if it actually looks like 100+ gigs are unaccounted for?

Just WoW Classic, yes. But with BC and Wrath installed its more than 100GB

Though Idk why mine was more than 100GB… Either way I didn’t even get 100GB back.

All I did was look at the space before I uninstalled WoW and after (just like I did with the other games I was uninstalling that day) and when I uninstalled WoW Classic Wrath it barely moved… IIRC a LITTLE space was reclaimed but not the amount of space that it was originally taking up

The various WoW versions share the same files if they can. For instance, if I have retail installed and then go to install Wrath classic, it only has to download 5-6gb or something like that.

I had retail uninstalled a long time ago… Still uninstalled. Mysteriously, when I uninstalled retail it reclaimed the space just fine

Have you actually checked for what files are being left behind then? For all you know, you might have tens of gigs of logs and screenshots. I remember a while back there was some addon that was flooding people’s screenshot folder with something like a screenshot every frame or second or something like that.

If there’s something like that I have no idea where I would look… All I know is that Wrath was taking up (at least) 100GB of space and uninstalling it didn’t reclaim 100GB of space, which according to the link of system requirements i posted above is what Wrath Classic is supposed to take up… So, I could be wrong, but that tells me that uninstalling Wrath should have given me back 100GB of space that was used for the game.

Unless Burning Crusade files are sitting around somewhere still… the Battlenet app only lets you pick between Classic, Wrath and Retail, when it comes to uninstalling WoW. But I assume uninstalling Wrath and/or Classic should uninstall BC as well

Retail is 98.1gb.

If retail is not installed, and you install wrath classic and original classic, which are the only two “classic” games you can install at this point, the warcraft folder is 11.5gb. Burning crusade doesn’t exist anymore but if it did it was similar in size.

The classic games are not nearly 100gb, they are closer to 10. I think this is the source of the discrepancy.

1 Like

Am I misreading this?

“Minimum Requirements: Solid State Drive (SSD) 100GB available space or Hard Disk Drive (HDD) 100GB available space (depending on the performance of the drive, player experience may be impacted on HDD)”

And like I said I had retail uninstalled a while before I uninstalled Classic Wrath. Also, like I said, it’s not like I just looked up on Google the file size and assume “okay this is what I’m gonna get back” when actually having looked up retail. Literally both file explorer and Bnet told me Classic was taking up more than 150GB… and then when I uninstalled it I didn’t get the space back.

There’s also the fact that several other people have experienced this same problem

I don’t know why you are basing the size of the game on the listed system requirements instead of the actual size of the game. You can install it, right now, and see how large it is. You can also look through the files on your computer and see if you can’t account for 150gb, it should be pretty easy to discover if that is the case.

I don’t know what other people have experienced that same problem. The thread you linked here was 4 years old, and in it the OP realized they were just mistaken. Or at least, the game wasn’t still taking up space on their PC.

So either you have some very weird windows permission or security issue that is stopping the disk space from being released, an amount of disk space that is completely inconsistent with the actual, testable size of what you uninstalled, or a mistake was made somewhere in the size estimate of the files.

You’re assuming that I’m wrong about the problem and that what I said isn’t correct. But if you assume I am correct than I won’t be able to find the files because they’re all deleted and yet still taking up space, but are essentially invisible, and not findable. Which is the same problem I linked to another person describing. I can also find a few websites of people saying they had this problem with WoW specifically. And according to the Blue post in that original thread I linked to, it’s a known issue.

That isn’t what happened at all. Literally the last post is the OP questioning their sanity because the problem doesn’t make sense. Which is the point that I’m at now. And ofc I can’t show you evidence because all the space is still gone. But there’s also nothing else next to nothing installed on my C drive except the OS and some really tiny programs. Because WoW is still taking up space.

Possibly, or WoW’s uninstallation process caused this. Either way, WoW is the only game that this happens with and no other games have ever caused this issue for my PC.

Regardless, the before and after amount of available space on my C Drive didn’t move after uninstalling Classic Wrath

And as for this

Why on earth would Blizzard, on their official website, list 1000% more space than the game actually takes up? They don’t do this for any of their other games but are randomly doing it for Classic Wrath and Classic Wrath alone?

I’m not assuming you’re wrong. I’m saying that some things make it unlikely that you’re actually missing this disk space, so it makes sense to try to do a little more to verify it is actually gone.

Looking through the files on your computer you can tally up the size of the things you CAN find, and see if it is consistent with the available space you see. Your hard drive is only 500gb so this shouldn’t be extremely hard. You can use a program like this https://diskanalyzer.com/download to make it easier, it breaks down what is using all of your space by amounts and percentages. You should be able to track down that something weird is going on if it is allocating disk space to an empty folder or the disk allocation it is displaying isn’t consistent with your actual free space. You could even post a screenshot of it if something seems wonky and it may help.

This is exactly what happened in your linked thread. They were questioning their sanity because when looking at their actual used disk space using that program, it was all accounted for with actual things and there was no missing space at all, yet they did not think that they got any space back after uninstalling the game. It’s unclear what exactly happened in their situation, but it didn’t involve hidden warcraft files.

1 Like

You’re taking what I said in an accusatory and negative way. What I am saying is that, under the assumption that what I am saying is correct, there would be no way to do what you are suggesting.

Didn’t think about this. I may actually use this.

That is very likely one possibility for what happened in their situation… if the files were hidden they wouldn’t be able to see or find it. But I don’t think they’re even hidden I believe it’s a coding problem with WoW interacting with Windows creating falsely registered taken up space. And if you look at the very first blue post in that thread, he says that this is a KNOWN problem, but then he incorrectly passes the buck and says that it’s window’s fault and not Blizzard’s.

And like I said earlier, that person never admitted or realized they were mistaken… they never got their space back and they never figured out what happened. They were questioning their sanity because there’s no way for them to find evidence that what they say happened, actually happened. Which is the case with me. Unless disk analyzer will solve this.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.