Unable to log into classic directly (must login to retail first?)

Hi there,

Strange issue I’ve noticed cropping up lately for me, my assumption is it is tied to the blizzard authenticator. This is not game breaking. I’m able to play, but it is a weird quirk I’ve been trying to figure out.

Steps:
Enter account name + pw for classic, receive error WOW51900101
Back out, launch retail, authenticate, enter world (cannot simply log in)
Exit retail
Launch classic - voila

Is this due to the authenticator not being supported on classic? Seems odd. Alternatively, my thought is this is due to the bnet launcher itself not thinking I’m logged in.

As stated earlier in my post, this appears to be a ‘nuisance’ issue, so it’s not inhibiting my ability to play the game. I am curious as to why it’s occurring is all.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Rahtal,

It sounds like you are launching the game directly from the exe instead of through the Blizzard app. Is that the case?

What happens if you go into the Blizzard desktop app and change the Version drop down to WoW Classic and then hit Play? Does that log you in automatically without prompting for the authenticator?

Hi Jambrix,

Nope - launching it from the game launcher actually, which is why this is so perplexing.

Having the exact same issue. Hoping for some kind of resolution.

Hey you two.

I’m wondering if something’s messing with the launcher app’s ability to forward your login info to the game client. IIRC the last time I fixed this, something was corrupt in one of the temporary files the launcher uses. Can we try this?

1. Press Windows+R to open the Run prompt
  2. Type one of the below locations and press enter:
    %programdata%
    %temp%
    %appdata%
    %localappdata%
  3. Delete any folders which say Blizzard, Battle.net, or Blizzard Entertainment
  4. Repeat steps 2/3 for all 4 locations above
  5. Grab a new Battle.net application installer from our website and run it

Any luck?

That looks like it did it! Had to reinstall after removing the files, but all good now.