Ultima Online - Who played it?

Who here remembers as well as played Ultima Online?

That game was amazing. Truly a world onto itself.

I was a Chesapeake player. You?

2 Likes

Still play it. Ultima Online and Anarchy online are my 2 favorite games of all time.

3 Likes

I got the beta disc, played it for 5 minutes and never tried it again. Sometimes I wish I gave it more of a chance, I would have had fun with it.

2 Likes

The housing customisation alone would make most WOW players drool

1 Like

UO is the only MMO I’ve seen so far to turn forests in to suburbs with how much of them there were.

1 Like

Hahaha soo true! Loved it!

Oh you still do? So tell!

Also Anarchy Online was awesome. I loved the customization you could do.

The black and white disc? I got one too from RG, was friends and family back then. Just curious how did you get it?

Did you know the disc has a fully functioning UO server on it? Yup you can solo play it on the server on the disc!

I do remember it being a friend and family disc. I don’t remember exactly where it came from (but I did have some connections). That’s pretty awesome that it has a server copy on it. I probably still have it somewhere. Thanks for the info!

1 Like

There are plenty of free shards out there to play on. Alot of them have tons of custom designs and some are more true to the original design. I play on Excelsior which is both good for pve and pvp and Outland which is more pvp. Plenty of other good ones out there too.

1 Like

The funniest thing I remember about Ultima Online was being invited to someone’s house where they proceeded to lock the door and kill me.

4 Likes

I played. I was a little tough from the start. Much like this one. But once they sorted out the skills and allowed for mana regen, the game was awesome. I started on Chesapeake but ended up on Catskills.

1 Like

Yeah probably the game I had the most fun in ever. Played for 6ish years (1998-2004) then switched to WoW. MMO’s these days are so soft in comparison. The only reason I switched was because I played on oceania, a mostly Australian server and it’s population was too small.

I was never a fan of class based systems. UO’s skill based, where you could make any kind of character you wanted, is better imo.

2 Likes

We have apparently met then :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What is it like? Looks pretty cool. Reminds me of Darkeden from way back, very nice horror atmosphere. Edit: darkeden that is/ got me reminiscing

1 Like

Back in the day, the entire world allowed for non-consensual PvP (with looting no less), so I didn’t bother. By the time they changed that, I was invested in WoW.

About the only thing that caught my attention was Lord British getting ganked during a public event that one time.

1 Like

I played for several years on the catskills server, proud member of the SS guild disarm-thief.

1 Like

I remember buying back my supremely accurate axes of vanquishing from disarm thieves. And also killing them with my ‘newbified’ starter hatchet that couldn’t be stolen.

1 Like

This post got me thinking about it again. I missed the beta, but I played when the game first came out.

Was able with a friend I met in game to afford one of those 2-story stone houses. Looked like a mini castle. Stood it up on the south-side of the maze that was south of Britain.

Once they put in the “sharding” of each realm, most people went to the carebear side and that’s when my game time dropped quite a bit. Then in 2001, I needed to take an extended trip for work and wasn’t able to refresh my house, so I lost it. I couldn’t replace it because of the placement rules they put in place prior. I was done at that point.

3 Likes

I played it, though not for very long and not very seriously. I started EverQuest in 1999 when it came out so UO didn’t get much of my time.

Like someone else said, I wish I’d played it more, I really did like it for the time I played, I just liked EQ more.

1 Like

I did. Started on Chesapeake in 1997 played till about 2003. then off and on pservers till about 2010. Great game, I do miss it.

1 Like

Hey I was Chesapeake too, from the very start. I was LongSchlongDong aka L S D aka Evilseed. A modest… PK. You?

1 Like