Uldum and Vale rare pet drop %

Just keen to see if other pet battlers have been killing the rares once a day and if the 1% seems about right? (According to wowhead, or is wowheads numbers totally wrong here?)

Uldum:
Skikx has a 0.89% chance to drop the tunneler pet
Amalgamation has a 1.9 to 2.20% to drop the wicked lurker pet
Lord Aj’qirai has a 1.76 to 3% to drop the rotbreath pet

Vale
The forgotten has a 1.67% to 1.8% chance to drop K’uddly pet
Will of Nzoth has a 2% chance to drop the tenacle pet AND 1.3 to 1.6% chance for the eye half (to combine with Uldums half for the pet)

These numbers are terrible and I am hoping WoWhead somehow got it wrong… For a once a day kill I am going to be doing these rares for years. Sigh.

1 Like

IMO give it a full month or longer before checking drop rates. A bigger sample size might be more accurate.

Does Wowhead take into account that the rares are not up 100% of the time? They’re only up if the associated invasion is active (Black Empire and Aqir) which is every other week and/or every so days. I don’t know if or how that would affect the drop rate calculation overall.

My opinion is that these have a lower than usual drop rate (for battle pets, at least). The drop rate feels closer to that of rare mount drops than the normal battle pet drop rate.

I’ve been trying once per day (when the rares are actually up) on multiple toons, and haven’t seen a pet drop since the first day. Even when in groups/raids of 5+, I haven’t seen one person loot a pet from these rares in a very, very long time.

1 Like

That is what I was hoping, that WoWhead would be wrong but in saying that, I have been farming on 3 toons a day and am seeing similar things to what you are. Possibly means wowhead might be close :frowning:

Wowhead numbers are simply “number of times this dropped, divided by number of times the boss was looted, by people running our reporting addon”.

So they are subject to the usual concerns about sample size for low probability events (you probably want at least n=10,000 before being confident about a drop rate in the 1% vicinity), but the extra layer of how often the boss is up doesn’t influence it. The only thing that could throw a wrench in the works is if it is possible to loot the boss but be ineligible for the drop somehow.

I do think they 100% designed this patch to keep us locked in all the way to December when Shadowlands likely comes out. I managed to farm every pet in Nazjatar and Mechagon myself but I suspect i will end up buying some of these ones at ludicrous prices.

1 Like

Dunno how many kills, I don’t keep track of pointless things like that. Still, I have acquired both the Will of N’zoth pet as well as k’uddly (which is unique 1/1, wut). Yes, I would camp them daily when they were up. On an alt or two as well if I had extra time for taking alts through the assaults. Also got a couple of the mounts too.

Edit to add: in my opinion, the amalgamation event pet might be hardest. I’ve only seen that event up once in the 3 weeks assaults have been happening. Have made a mental note to keep an eye out for it next time & make sure I make the time to throw all my alts at it when it shows up.

I did managed to get the Void-Scarred Beetle last week and was doing cartwheels. It is sickening whenever I loot a blue (armor token) item and realize it is not a pet though.

2 Likes

The low drop rate is to keep us doing this for longer. When all the other players have geared up and are finished with visions, we sad pet collectors that refuse to buy the pets from the auction house will still be flying around looking for these rares. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I have mentioned this another thread (cant remember what /doesntmatteranyways).

My advice to collectors is to spend your pet farming time, farming non RNG saleable items (insert whatever you want) to buy the pets and hope on a casual basis you get lucky on a random drop. It has worked for me every expansion I played, no matter how bad the RNG gets. Non RNG gold into RNG pets makes life simple.

1 Like

Its good advice. Sometimes people who couldn’t care less about battle pets get a pet drop and put it on the AH. If i have more money than i need, i’ll spend it on a pet rather than spend my time looking for that pet to drop. Mostly. I’ll still look, but the pressure is off, not nagging at me. The Mob drops , Uldum and the Vale?
One Corrupted Tentacle = Will of N’zoth, two halves of an eye, made a toy, dammit, idano what dropped it, eyes of N’zoth? Two bottles of Gloop, both from Uldum, fished up from pools. Two void scarred Beetles, both from Lesser Visions, Uldum. I have not camped anything, well maybe for cuddly a couple hours, kill the Mob, no pet drop… I did help with putting down a big Drake Mob, something of the four winds, and the Drake of the Four Winds dropped into my very surprised hands. I didn’t know it did that! I was looking for pets! Such have been my drops. Plenty to keep me ‘hooked’, for weeks i don’t doubt.

I know this thread is a bit old, but the drop rates on the new pets feels just awful.
Been killing them daily, sometimes multiple times a day with alts, and have seen zero pets drop.
I’ve actually had better luck with mounts so far, getting 2 of them despite far less kills compared to the pet rares.

I really wish they had gone back to the Warfront system, with once per event lockouts and higher % drops.

4 Likes

Doesn’t mean you can’t farm another one up…so that you can sell it…

1 Like

True.
Son of Sethe, a WoD rep pet, is unique and I’ve lost count of how many of those I’ve sold.

I just have to put mine in the Guild bank first, (you can store any number of a unique item in a guild bank,) so I can learn and level the new one prior to selling it.

2 Likes

They had really good battle pets in WoD. I think it was the best expansion for pet battling.

2 Likes