UI Taint I cannot figure out

I set up taintLog 2 and examined the resulting file. Besides the normal taint just for existing, I seem to be causing some taint reports because I have added some frames to UISpecialFrames, which seems to be acceptable as the Blizzard code says that it should expect that tainted things will be therein. However, I am getting other messages like:

12/3 17:42:31.511 Global variable OBJECTIVE_TRACKER_UPDATE_REASON tainted by Wholly - Interface/AddOns/Blizzard_ObjectiveTracker/Blizzard_ObjectiveTracker.lua:1408 ObjectiveTracker_Update()
12/3 17:42:31.511 Interface/AddOns/Blizzard_ObjectiveTracker/Blizzard_BonusObjectiveTracker.lua:1305
12/3 17:42:31.511 Execution tainted by Wholly while reading OBJECTIVE_TRACKER_UPDATE_REASON - Interface/AddOns/Blizzard_ObjectiveTracker/Blizzard_ObjectiveTracker.lua:1431 ObjectiveTracker_Update()
12/3 17:42:31.511 Interface/AddOns/Blizzard_ObjectiveTracker/Blizzard_BonusObjectiveTracker.lua:1305

Of course I am not touching the global variable, so am assuming Wholly has done something else that has tainted a secure execution path. But I have not been able to track it down. Does anyone know how to go about figuring out what is happening?

I’m struggling with this too for Classic Quest Log. A user has reported many taint.log entries related to OBJECTIVE_TRACKER_UPDATE_REASON, similar to yours:

11/29 16:53:40.838 Global variable OBJECTIVE_TRACKER_UPDATE_REASON tainted by Classic Quest Log - Interface/AddOns/Blizzard_ObjectiveTracker/Blizzard_ObjectiveTracker.lua:1408
11/29 16:53:40.838 ObjectiveTracker_Update()
11/29 16:53:40.838 Interface/AddOns/Blizzard_ObjectiveTracker/Blizzard_QuestObjectiveTracker.lua:141 QuestObjectiveTracker_FinishFadeOutAnim()
11/29 16:53:40.838 AnimationGroup:lizzard_QuestObjectiveTracker.xml:74_OnFinished()

Does the end result of the taint Wholly experiences cause action buttons to be blocked?

Annoyingly (probably more for users than me), I can’t reproduce this action blocked effect at all. Another user event sent a video showing they had only Classic Quest Log enabled and steps to reliably reproduce the action blocked, but I still can’t reproduce it.

If you are fortunate enough to be able to reproduce this taint effect, can you temporarily see if removing the bindings.xml has any effect? I’m at taintLog 2 also and the more extreme taint messages seem to go away when my bindings.xml is removed.

I know this thread is a little old, but I am running into the same issue with my addon, and it sounds like the same issue.
I add my frame to UISpecialFrames.
I have never seen the issue occur.
I cannot reproduce for the life of me, but some users are reporting actions being blocked.
They have sent screenshots saying my addon caused the blocked action, but the error says its occuring in Blizzard_LFGBrowse.lua, or FriendsFrame_Wrath.lua, or ActionButton.lua, which my addon doesnt touch and has nothing to do with anything I am doing.
Did you ever figure out what is happening?
Any pointers on how I can track this down?

In my case I just ripped out features and repeated that I can’t fix what I can’t reproduce. The comments/PMs eventually slowed to a trickle. I don’t know if Blizzard did something in a hotfix/patch or more likely people walked away from the addon and I don’t blame them. I would have walked away from it too by now except I look forward to the technical challenge of rebuilding a quest detail panel from scratch. But it’d have to be in the second half of this year at the earliest.

Unfortunate, but thank you for your response.

While probably not related and I didn’t try to run it down, I did notice that (DF at least),
OBJECTIVE_TRACKER_UPDATE_MOVED and OBJECTIVE_TRACKER_UPDATE_MODULE_MONTHLY_ACTIVITIES both have the same value, 0x80000.

Every other OBJECTIVE_TRACKER_UPDATE_xxx is unique.

For my issue, I think incorrect usage of _G was the issue.