Tyrande's going to need to share. Nightborne still worship Elune!

Interfaith conflicts happen a lot. In this case it might seem dumb to us because we the players know that Tyrande’s literally Elune’s chosen one, but it might not be as apparent to most characters lorewise.

Tyrande, for example, didn’t exactly call upon Elune to protect Teldrassil, only invoked Her power for vengeance after the fact.

2 Likes

I suppose if Thalyssra and the other Nightborne aren’t really aware that Tyrande has literal one on ones with God, which is entirely plausible given their extended isolation, they might just see it as a religious schism. Fair enough.

1 Like

Another example is The Scarlet Crusade vs The Argent Dawn/Crusade. Different interpretations of how to best serve the Light.

There’s also no rule saying Elune can’t choose others to bestow favor on. Maiev’s Blink ability in WC3 came from Elune.

3 Likes

The Scarlet Crusade did nothing wrong. Not until that dreadlord showed up! :frowning:
The Argents are boring. Generic lawful good holier-than-thou crusaders. :disappointed:

I would very much like to see some lore about any remaining influence Elune worship still has in Suramar, but I doubt they’re going to revisit anything related to the elves once Azshara’s patch is over.

3 Likes

Elune was always a part of Kaldorei society, even before the Sundering. This isn’t new to them.

I agree the Scarlet Crusaders were far more compelling in the aftermath of the Scourge’s devastation of the Eastern Kingdoms. They did morally questionable stuff from their paranoia of plague carriers, but this view makes more sense to me considering Arthas’s death knight campaign.

Even if it were external source lore (novel/comic), I’d also love to see more on the subject. Hell, we still don’t have anything as far as I’m aware of how the nightborne feel about Teldrassil getting burned.

Considering Elune intervened and made sure the Night Elves that died at Teldrassil didn’t suffer, and made sure Malfurion didn’t die, something tells me she has forsaken the Nightborne, considering they took part in burning Teldrassil.

There isn’t any evidence supporting Elune abandoning nightborne, especially considering She has Zandalari worshipers through the Lun’alai.

1 Like

The Zandalari did not take part in the burning of Teldrassil, she would have no reason to forsake them.

1 Like

The Zandalari aren’t even related to the race of her primary worshipers is my point. Nightborne are.

Elune also doesn’t need a reason to do or not do anything. Elune is frequently the only entity comparable to an actual deity in Azeroth, and Elune did nothing while Teldrassil burned, or when the Burning Legion invaded.

Until some lore source elaborates on the nightborne’s relationship with Elune or straight up confirms that she abandoned them, saying Elune forsook the nightborne is speculation at best.

3 Likes

Gnomes Are, it why they can’t be Paladins.
Their Priests aren’t even actual priests, they are just medics.

I don’t think this is the case, or if so it’s not a general rule. You would think out of all of them that Oculeth would be the atheist, but he’s the one who waxes fondly about the temple and its prayers, expressing a measure of disappointment that it has fallen to ruin.

1 Like

Im just saying after coming out of their bubble, it’s not too far fetched that some start to believe in Elune again or continue their beliefs.

I’m not going to say “NO THEY DONT HOW DARE YOU”
But it could also be just leftover architecture. No sense in tearing it down if it still looks nice, yeah?

But who knows!

The Nightborne should never have been Horde but hey i guess after 10k years of being locked up behind a shield the first thing you want to do is go the faction you know nothing about because Tyrande throws some shade your way. Forget the family bonds that could be renewed by the people from Suramar and the Night Elves of Teldrassil…let’s be part of the Horde because…reasons. Forget family bonds of the people you rule over because someone gave you the cold shoulder, unimportant.

Another gem of Blizzard writing.

Yea i am sure the Nightborne worship Elune, so can anyone else really.

The cynic in me says: It makes sense. The Alliance cannot have anything unique to themselves. We have to share everything with the Horde.

2 Likes

Oh you just wait. I have a theory that the KT’s don’t look the way they do because Blizzard suddenly felt “hardy” meant that people grew to 9-10 ft. tall and became so obese that they don’t even show muscle.

You just wait until that model is used to introduce Ogres Horde side.

2 Likes

You haven’t given Horde Draenei.

1 Like

We don’t want space goats.

It could go either way, and I wish Blizz would clear this up. Nightborne can be priests, but wether they worship Elune or the Light is not known.

They could have been worshipping Elune under the protective barrier, but Thalyssra mentions specifically that they were cut off from moonlight 10k years ago. It seems unlikely that they still do and have probably abandoned the useless Elune worship in favour of magic study. There is no mention of contemporary Elune worship in Suramar.

The symbology could just be an architectural design that they stuck with. We still use ancient Greek design aspects, but noone still worships the Greek pantheon.

It seems that whatever they worship, they started doing it after they were reintroduced to the world.