TWW Resto Druid Feedback

All Feedback here is coming from a player who does not like shapeshifting and just wants to play Resto in my Human form. Also a casual.

Class Tree
Most of the changes here look fine on paper, dislike that I have to take some Shapeshifting related nodes to fill out the tree, but not a huge problem.

Spec Tree
There’s a lot here that I like:

• Any HotW talents I personally don’t care for or look at so thats neutral to me.
  • Thriving Vegetation is something I’ve wanted on Resto for a long time. Really dislike the Proactive playstyle, but Nature Healers are my favorite fantasy so I’m forced into it.
    Hopefully this means its a 30% of periodic instant, but we still get 100% of the periodic effect and not 30% initial, then 70% remaining over time.
  • Prosperity is a welcome return
  • Love the Rejuv focus going into TWW. Should be our main source of healing IMO.
  • VI and Nurturing Dormancy nerfs are unfortunate but whatever
  • Invigorate needs removed and replaced with a cooler passive talent, button bloat is already insane, nobody needs another one.
  • Adaptive Swarm removal from healing rotation is a good change, HOWEVER, there is a better use for that further down in this post.
  • Luxuriant Soil removal is also good, having a very low RNG chance to spread rejuv just made it so Rejuv was weaker.

Adaptive Swarm Idea
Adaptive Swarm, especially after the VFX change fits the Fantasy of a Resto Druid perfectly and seeing it removed entirely is a mistake.
I’ve always disliked the Solar/Lunar theme on Druid so here’s an idea:

-New Talent: Adaptive Swarm - Replaces Moonfire and Sunfire - Summons an Insect Swarm to attack an enemy, and every 2 seconds, the Swarm spreads to nearby targets within 6-8yds dealing Nature damage over time. Cap at 8 targets if needed.

Make sure the talent is off to the side by itself so it is truly a choice node that nobody is forced into and it’s taken purely by people who like it.

This still reduces button bloat by 1 button like the removal of Adaptive Swarm but gets rid of the annoyance that is Moonfire/Sunfire Reapplication and Tab Targeting

Fit’s perfectly with the Fantasy of Resto (atleast for me).
Also if Blizz ever brings back Glyphs the options are endless here:

• Any Autumnal Adaptive Swarm enjoyers? Orange VFX instead of the Nature green of current.

Keeper of the Grove Hero Talents
Where to begin with this.
Maybe it’s a Vocal Minority, but boy are Grove Guardians hands down one of the worst ideas and additions to Resto Druid in the entirety of WoW’s life.

• Grove Guardians provide nothing exciting to the gameplay of the spec, it’s a press and forget button till more charges are back.
  • Way overtuned so you’re forced into it, unless you’re like me and actively avoid it no matter the loss of healing.
  • Fantasy wise, if were a “Keeper of the Grove”, the definition of Keeper is - “a person who manages or looks after something or someone”.
    Then why are we taking control of these young treants and forcing them into combat to heal and risk themselves?
    That’s quite the opposite of a “Keeper” and against the entire point of Resto as a whole.

This entire tree needs to be redone from top to bottom, drop Grove Guardians entirely and focus on Rejuv, Regrowth and Swiftmend.
It’s about “Keeping”, which is protecting the forests and inhabitants of it, not summoning them.

AND YES BEFORE ANYONE COMMENTS, I KNOW A KEEPER OF THE GROVE IN THE RPG ALLEGEDLY ANIMATES TREES AND USES THEM TO THEIR BIDDING.
Luckily that’s not canon.

TLDR : Makes no sense, back to the drawing board with the entire tree.

Wildstalker Hero Talents
Seems fine, not a fan of shapeshifting so 50% of the tree is useless to me. Tree is pretty basic and simple which isn’t awful honestly.
I’ll probably be forced into this tree given that Keeper of the Grove will stay exactly how it is until launch because Blizz love Grove Guardians for whatever reason.

I do like the Symbiotic Blooms though, and they have a nice flower bed animation on the ground.

Also Blizz, we still need a full cosmetic glyph system to be brought back into the game, because these Hero Talents are barely even scraping the surface of some of the VFX that people deserve to have on their Classes/Specs.

Verdant Infusion isn’t really getting nerfed.

It’s going from 12 seconds to 8 seconds of HoT-time extension, but it’s based on Swiftmend. With Prosperity giving Swiftmend two charges, that is 2x 8 seconds = 16 seconds of HoT extension.

Verdant Infusion is a choice node with Prosperity on Alpha currently.

Ah, well that would be a problem in that case.

Well, I have the opposite view. I love the trees, and the more the merrier. If I could, I would give a tree to every person in the raid, and bask in the shade of the forest I create. I’m disappointed with the reduction of Incarnation because it will mean one less tree in the overall scheme of things. To compensate, druids should be able to summon four trees in TWW, rather than only three.

As for Adaptive Swarm… I never saw how that fit with the Druid theme. Goodness, it comes from the Necrolords in Shadowlands, who were the opposite of what could be reasonably considered as Druids. Nasty insects that bite and sting… where’s the pesticide? Give me the moon and the sun and the stars overhead and I’ll be a happy Druid.

4 Likes

I agree with you. Love the trees!

Must not have been around for early druid, one of balance and resto’s main dps dot pre-mop rework was insect swarm and adaptive was the closest thing we’d gotten to ever having it back. Its also the only interesting hot resto has besides maybe a fully built lifebloom.

Treants are fine, i think the grove keeper will suffer from them not having any real aoe componenent besides that one wildgrowth with the tier gone. Probasbly should be roped into their wildgrowth improvement or added to replace one of the more bland grove guardians talents.

3 Likes

Treants saved resto druid, change my mind. 2/10

1 Like

Sure, the current ability name and icon art came from shadowlands, but Insect Swarm was deleted from druids in favor of celestial magic.
Literally didn’t even check with the playerbase, just up and removed it.

resto druid was actually completely fine before Grove Guardians for years upon years. Blizz just decided to toss in Grove Guardians seemingly outta nowhere for no real reason.

Admittedly, I am a tree hugger. The way I see it, treants are the manifestation of a hot… they are not pets like the warlock’s demons, or the hunter’s beasts that are permanent and can be controlled. Instead of having an aura or big green circle on the ground, we get a tree. Love the trees and what they provide.

2 Likes

I love the trees and the adaptive swarm. I love any kind of nature magic! After they changed the animation on it adaptive swarm is basically just a new and improved insect swarm, not really a necrolord anything anymore.

1 Like

Don’t get it mistaken, I think Treants as a concept are cool af, wish I could just use my Wandering Ancient mount all the time, but flying exists.

I just think the kit is already bloated even without Grove Guardians existing, and then if you try to play with them, it makes it even worse.

Conceptually trees are cool. It just feels like I’m not the one doing the healing but they are. Which is a bit feeling. It interferes with the idea that it’s your skill that is doing the healing.

Exactly my thoughts, all of the satisfaction with playing any kind of action combat game (which WoW and tons of other games are) is the visuals and sound effects of skills/abilities.

Grove Guardians have neither.

Just make the guardians a passive talent that pops your swiftmend. Or better yet give swiftmend charges. My understanding is that the grove tenders were introduced to functiom as a burst healing button. Swiftmend did that already so why not just give charges to swiftmend.

I was thinking the same thing, just make Grove Guardians cast Swiftmend on the target, and then continue healing but that goes back to having pets heal for you which isn’t satisfying gameplay for me personally.

Cats bite. Scorpions sting. Two cases of Druid shapeshifts (Fandral Staghelm is the Scorpion).

Insect Swarm is more Druid than any ret con sun magic will ever be.

If trees were created or well, they were reintroduced to help Rdruids alleviate moments of burst damage and to improve their dps rotation.

Removing the trees would be a big mistake, since many (I’m not saying this for you) druids want them removed, but they don’t know that if they do we will return to the same situations of suffering in moments of explosive damage.

Furthermore, they are part of our healing, but in the end we are the ones who invoke and empower them.
Another thing to mention is that they enhance us indirectly by giving us time to apply new hots.

Something that should really change is our mastery, since although it is very useful (to a certain point in raid), in M+ it lost a lot of impact due to the high damage scaling that comes in, making the mastery effect almost useless (not counting the extreme cost it requires to take advantage).

To be honest, some changes are not very focused on what we really need, which would be:

• Better ways to react to unexpected damage (instead of anticipating mechanics that many are RNG)
  • Ways to recover mana
  • Reduce button bloat (from dps)

I dont get the part about the trees doing burst healing. Is it because they swiftmend when you cast them? okay give swiftmend charges so you can do it instead.

Unless I’m incredibly shortsighted here, doesn’t Swiftmend with Grove Tending basically do what Grove Guardians does, but much weaker?

Just buff the healing of Grove Tending by a ton to come close to the tree’s and give us prosperity higher in the tree or a choice node of Prosperity/New talent that reduces Swiftmends CD by 3-4 seconds

Because as it stands GG has 3 charges and is supposed to give us burst healing.
Which can be solved with Swiftmend, Grove Tending, and new/old talents that don’t add any more buttons.

1 Like