TWW Lore Videos

Has there been any discussion on if we’re getting short story videos leading up to the War Within? I really loved all the ones we got for previous expansions. My favourite being the Warbringers: Jaina for BfA.

Here’s a link to the first video in each expansion’s video series:

Mists of Pandaria: The Burdens of Shaohao—Part 1: Doubt (youtube.com)

Warlords of Draenor: [Warlord: Kargath]. (youtube.com)](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG3RVCEwCPg)

Legion: Harbingers - Gul’dan (youtube.com)

Battle for Azeroth: ALL Warbringer Cinematics (Jaina, Sylvanas, Azshara) | WoW BFA World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth (youtube.com)

Shadowlands: Shadowlands Afterlives: Bastion (youtube.com)

Dragonflight: Dragonflight Legacies: Chapter One (youtube.com)

2 Likes

Just short stories. Maybe it’ll happen but i’m assuming they’re cut from the budget for now. :carpentry_saw::robot:

1 Like

They sometimes do both, hopefully they do. It’s been a great addition each expansion.

I’m assuming the book related to the expansion will be out sometime mid expansion, similar to the one for DF, if they choose to do another book.

1 Like

I was not a fan of the DF ones. War bringers were awesome though.

It seems like we might only be getting the short stories. Could be budget cuts, could be that they blew the budget on more fully rendered cinematics for the game.

3 Likes

I’m confused.
“Why are there no short stories”
“Here are the short stories”
“It’s probably because they are not in the budget”
“But here they are”
“Yeah too bad, no short stories”

1 Like

I was referring to lore videos, similar to all the ones I posted in the OP.

Breakcog was referring to short stories.

Sometimes we get both.

2 Likes

Not to derail the thread but you made me wonder if we will have an actual cinematic for the war within? They made it seem like that one we saw during blizzcon was something else.

1 Like

Dark Heart also feels like that sorta story or perhaps i’m bothered from how insignificant that questline was. :robot::thought_balloon:

I’m terrible with talking and thinking. :robot::nut_and_bolt:

I hope so, the animatics were unironically the best part of each expansion. They were always such a joy to watch.

2 Likes

It would be cool. But the Jaina Warbringers would be hard to top. That one is amazing.

If I’m remembering right, most of the previous “series” released very close to their expansion’s launch. We’ll probably hear about them in about two weeks if they’re happening.

2 Likes

I expect a series to begin soon. It’s still too early.

2 Likes

The best ones were WoD ones that told the story of all the warchiefs

1 Like

I noticed a placeholder card for a “2.5D” cinematic while watching one of Nobbel’s streams of beta gameplay. I believe that term has been used before to describe the painted-looking cinematics, so that may indicate that more are on the way.

1 Like

Hopefully! We’re now just under 2 months for the global launch of the expansion.

If they do the videos, not sure if they will or not we’ll see, I wonder what they’ll be about. If they do 4 of them I’d probably say:

Anduin

Alleria

Faerin

Xal’atath

But that is only a theory.

Idk if they’ll do Anduin and Alleria, since they got short stories. It would be interesting if they did them on the denizens of Khaz Algar. One on the Earthen, one on the Nerubians, one on the Arathi and maybe one on the Harrownir (Cave Elves).

1 Like

Not a bad notion. And I wouldn’t say no to learning more about the Harronir.

1 Like

Previous cinematic series have mostly been used to establish backstory information for the expansion, either by helping introduce new characters and zones, or by giving catch up information for existing NPCs:

• Burdens of Shaohao: introduced historical events and NPCs for Pandaria

• Lords of War: introduced the titular Warlords of Draenor, including some of the AU details, as well as some backstory for Maraad

• Harbingers: backstory on AU Gul’dan, refresh on Illidan and demon hunters, and refresh on Khadgar’s early history

• Warbringers: refresh of Azshara’s history, refresh on relevant Warcraft III events for Jaina and Sylvanas

• Afterlives: introduce the Shadowlands zones and some NPCs, reintroduce Draka and Uther, refresh on Warcraft III and Wrath events

• Legacies: introduce Emberthal and the dracthyr, refresh on history of the aspects

• Lore in Short–Arthas Menethil: made for Wrath Classic, features Jaina narrating a summary of Arthas’ path in Warcraft III in the same painted-looking art style as the retail WoW series

If the placeholder I spotted is in fact for one of those cinematics, then it will involve the Nerubians. I think given the previous precedent of using the cinematics to set up backstory information for the expansion, it’s very reasonable to speculate that any cinematics will set up the peoples of Khaz Algar. Individual characters already covered by new short stories are probably less likely. I could see us getting something for Xal’atath, but if she’s going to continue on through to Midnight, she might get the AU Gul’dan treatment and get a cinematic before that expansion instead. Besides, we’ve already gotten a small refresh on her history with the Dark Heart quest line, so I don’t know that we need to see further from her in advance of TWW.

Also, on the topic of pre-expansion lore material, I would love to get more audio dramas. “The Tomb of Sargeras” and “A Thousand Years of War” are fantastic, with good prose and excellent acting performances, and are just very enjoyable to listen to.

1 Like

A video series on these Nerubians would be awesome. I know there’s some stuff in their zone about Anub’anark reaching out to them during the events of WC3, so building on that could be cool.

1 Like