Twitch Client (Closing November 17)

The Twitch Client is currently the default addon manager for the Curseforge repository, although this will be changing in the near future as Twitch sold this part of its business to Overwolf in June 2020. Overwolf has announced that they will be releasing their new app manager on October 20. The Twitch Client will be closing on November 17.

2 Likes

Well, the Twitch client doesn’t even work for me half the time - so here’s to hoping whatever comes next actually will… :frowning:

1 Like

Don’t forget to learn how to manually install addons, trust me you don’t want to use that Overwolf garbage and have it forcefully playing ads in WoW while you’re playing due to their overlay you can’t disable without “premium”

Wowup.io works great and pulls from Curse and Wowinterface.

6 Likes

Overwolf is terrible.

I’ll be manually installing and hoping something better comes along (which won’t happen if they monopolize the Curseforge API).

1 Like

Wowup author already got messages from Overwolf about “scraping the Curse API” so don’t be surprised if Wowup or the other non-Overwolf managers temporarily shut down at some point.

Presses F

Hopefully one of the non Overwatch ones works. Updating them manually isn’t going to be good for my wanting to keep playing. It’d be nice if Blizz would host for qualified add-ons.

1 Like

They can threaten, but if Wowup and others start threatening to sue, because it’s not illegal to web scrape in the US (which is where Wowup is located), they’ll back off from bad press. But we’ll have to wait and see.

For now, Wowup works. Maybe Overwolf will get their heads out of their butts eventually.

I’ll stick with WoWUp for as long as it works, it’s great so far.

1 Like

It’s super easy to manual install. Safer to never use installers.

I never even heard of it until I saw it on WoWHead and Downloaded it. Not a huge fan of twitch myself.

yeah garbage company that just installs spyware on your computer. DO NOT USE OVERWOLF.

they can still cutoff api access as its their property

this is whats coming to wow with overwolf, have fun

https:// medal. tv/clips/3317393/

No they can’t. People went over all of this in other threads.

1 Like

web scraping in of itself isnt illegal but that doesnt mean they have to provide access

Manual install can be a hassle with some add-ons, like DBM that updates as frequently as daily and disables itself if behind by 2 or more versions.
Add-on managers or installers are generally safe, but Overwolf is one of the bad ones. They don’t vet their ads, and they force overlays into games when they can.

sighs

They can’t block the API. Please go do some research. I’m done with the misinformation in these threads.

1 Like

Seconding this!
Twitch couldn’t stop them either, and they have way more resources to do so.
They are basically trying to intimidate other add-on managers into shutting down with toothless “demand” letters.
It’s like some crazy person threatening to sue you, unless you get served by a court it’s just hot air.

1 Like

Installing Overwulf is like installing adware on your machine. It’ll throw ads up on your loading screens. Switch to WowUp ASAP.

2 Likes