Tuning Needs to Improve - We are C Tier All-Stars.. Again

I’m sick of of other classes having simpler rotations, more survivability and better damage profiles. We are pure DPS classes. No off-spec. Where are any mages in world first? Oh just brought for int, go talk to Gingi and get his two cents lol.

6 Likes

It’s funny that at the same time all 3 Rogue specs are top 3 DPS. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s no more tuning before the new year.

I’d love some damage tuning for frost and fire, but defensively we’re definitely not lacking. Short alter time, ginvis, ice cold, mirror images, barrier + mass barrier. Feels pretty dang good to me in most situations

2 Likes

Our best defensive is blink/shimmer, imo.

The problem with mage defensives are that theyre all proactive.

Im at a 477 ilvl and my mass sheild does 170k damage absorbed. Thats like 1 tick of a water elemental swell in throne. We have our regular self casting sheild but its another thing you have to maintain. Again, its a proactive defensive and basically is equal to the static stamina buffs all other classes get.

Theres also a lot of melee meta, so I get targeted by a ton of mechanics. The demon hunter boss in brh basically targets me for every mechanic. You run our of defensives eventually.

The fact that we have to work so hard to be proactive with out defensives, coupled with a difficult rotation and like 10 cooldown/buffs youre already managing, makes it difficult to play defensively without losing a lot of dps.

Then throw in the fact that all three mage specs are pretty low in pact for damage, it doesnt seem like blizzard cares about mages.

3 Likes

I personally don’t mind it mostly being proactive considering how powerful the toolkit is. It’d be a bit silly if it wasn’t, because then we’d be extremely broken.

Ginvis can fizzle most targeted boss mechanics, such as corrosion on blight of galakrond. It might even work for glaive toss, but I haven’t tried it out. I agree tho we’re kind of in a mechanic slave position when there isn’t a hunter or boomy in the group which is unfortunate.

It’d be great if blizz would do a tuning pass so we can get some ranged homies to split the workload with. :dracthyr_cry_animated:

1 Like

For Fire, it really feels like the last two raid tiers have played heavily into our weaknesses, those being: pure ST; lack of sustained grouped cleave for ignite; distant target switching; and downtime/intermissions. What would be great is a talent that allowed us to proactively “retract” an existing ignite bank on a target for application to the next target hit so we’re not quite as penalized for downtime/target switching…

2 Likes

No it’s really ridiculous, I mostly PuG nowadays because my schedule doesn’t allow for scheduled play and I’ve literally seen listings like: “Will Carry Any ilvl Mage for Int Buff” or “Where da mages at?” I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I haven’t been the only mage in the raid this tier. Of course it actually works to our advantage in a perverse sort of way because it’s easier to get invites and people know not to expect miracles from you in the DPS department but at the same time it’s sad that we’ve been reduced to glorified int dispensers.

2 Likes

It’s so low! It can’t even absorb the full self damage part of Belor’relos. Depending on the ilvl mages will have 700-800k HP this season but our shields don’t even absorb 200k. If it’s gonna be so low the cooldown needs to be reduced as well.

1 Like

I dunno guys. We’re probably doing something wrong. The devs were very level headed and data driven in our rework.

1 Like

At least for fire, I think the rework was quite strong. The part that falls flat is it feels like it was abandoned after the rework was completed. talent imbalance between skb and anything else is worse than it was before and ignite vs flamestrike is becoming a problem again. The tools are all there, but the knobs are all messed up.

1 Like

Not really that surprising that Ignite is the meta in AoE again after so many nerfs to Flamestrike. What was it again? 5 nerfs in a row to Flamestrike or something? Not to mention other spells like Living Bomb and Meteor.

Reverting back to pre-10.1.5 gameplay after a rework due to constant nerfs and poor tuning is beyond ridiculous. And there’s now another weird way to reach Firefall where we once again pick Living Bomb but never cast it.

2 Likes

The game has evolved to extremely fast and reactive mechanics for M+, and raiding, most of which melee are just blowing short CD’s and not having to target anything outside of kicks, which when they aren’t is just something else we have to do to interrupt casting and trashing our DPS.

Warrior can WW to their hearts content, rampage and blow all their short CD’s weave in skills. Paladin, same idea has skills that don’t require targeting but can hit everything in a radius. DH and Rogue don’t even get me started, same garbage.

I play frost, and sitting there for a 2 second cast ranged on Frostbolt fishing for procs to get 5 charges to get GS off is dumb. Trying to blizzard, Frozen Orb, flurry, cold snap, CoC, Cometstorm, Nova, - are you serious? God forbid we need to dispel, interrupt or move.

There are classes that take far less effort and do better DPS. It’s not a badge of honor to play poorly designed class and be competitive with other classes - people think you just suck.

Blizzard look at simplifying things. There is a reason why on average you don’t see the numbers in 20+ keys with mage like other classes.

2 Likes

AM I the only one annoyed that there’s no indicators on SKB? I feel like my ADHD self would have to take the talent that buffs pyro if only for my own sanity if I used it and I hate addon management.

1 Like

I’ve been using WeakAuras for so long that I don’t even notice this kind of stuff anymore but it definitely is a big issue for new players or players not too found of using addons.

2 Likes

yeah its weak aura required situation. the skill is too complex for the base ui to responsibly represent it. I’ve just accepted this now and made my own skb weak aura. Without this weak aura I wouldnt be able to play fire mage.

1 Like

Do you have instructions on how to do that?

https://wago.io/rlsLFWMPB

here is the one i made and have used since skb was made lol

1 Like

Google Curseforge app Download and download the app (no acc needed) then open that up it should auto detect your wow folder.

Next step go to your retail wow folder from the dropdown and and click the get more addons tab and search for weak auras. Download the addon named weak auras.

The next step log in and do /wa and it should bring up a screen and click import at the top of the screen that comes up, this is where you can go to wago.io and download a string that you copy past into here.

Probably has it uses download this import into weak auras and then move it to a place you can see and viola is it done. The curseforge app will auto update weak auras from you every time you run it so it is never out of date.

1 Like