Trouble with double Fire Blast during combustion opener!

Hey,

I’m trying to get a hang of the double FB opener after fireball during combust, which should generate me 2 instant pyros according to Preheet’s guides. The problem is this only works like 35% of the time, and the rest of the time I’m not getting two instant pyros. Not sure what I’m doing wrong as I’m following his cast order in slow motion, and I’m always doing the exact same thing. It should look like:

Pyro (no crit) -> Fireball -> Combust -> FB -> FB -> Pyro -> Pyro

Is there anything I’m doing wrong that you guys can help me with? I’m trying to instant FBx2 as soon as Fireball goes out and before it lands.

Farm a hot streak before combustion, that way you don’t need to blow 2 fire blasts for 1 pyro

Hot streak-> combustion -> instant pyro -> fb -> instant pyro -> fb -> instant pyro ect

Also what could be happening with that rotation you are trying to use, if you are at max range your non combustion fireball may be landing after your first fireblast, as it has travel time before it reaches the target. If that fire ball is a non crit it is consuming your first charge of heating up.

try that a little bit earlier

Is the fireball landing before combust is going off? You’re either accidentally munching the pyro before you realise or the fireball isn’t critting from combustion

What you do is prepull about 4s you cast pyro, then if you have badge you use that, then fireball- 50-60% through fireball you combust and instantly double FB, then instantly pyro after fireball and if you are some distance away from the boss, not on him your fireball should hit after you consume your hotstreak and that plus the pyro you sent will give you another pyro.

You’re heating up before you fireblast and you prime a fireball and fireblast before it lands … that’s how you double pyro.

It’s no different than scorch weaving during BfA

Thanks guys - I think I was hitting (CombFBFB) too late and munching it when the fireball landed.

If you are activating combust just before your fireball launches, you shouldn’t be doing x2 fb, as you don’t store up instant pyros. You would be wasting the second fb.
Doing combust just before the fireball launches ensure it crits so only 1 fb is necessary to get a insta pyro. Im not sure where it tells you to do pyro into fireball into x2 fb.
I would pyro in raid, combust just before it is off and fb x1 to get things going. I only x2 fb in m+ pugs to get the ball rolling there.

1 Like

Yep, this is why it happens. I recommend practicing the double Fire Blast opener with Lust (and Berserking if Troll), as the timing for this gets pretty difficult. I believe some people use a Combust + Fire Blast macro to make this easier, but I haven’t personally tried this.

The x2 FB opener is used to gain your two stack infernal cascade conduit buff rather than FB>PB>FB>PB which would cause only your second PB to be affected by the max increase from the conduit.

this ^ once the cascade is about to fade Fireblast again to keep the buff up at max

remember that cascade only activates when u have combustion going

Haha now we seem to be piggy backing on added tidbits. In case neither my first post nor Hunda’s was completely clear:

The idea is to have Infernal Cascade up at two stacks during the beginning to the very end of combustion, never letting it drop. If it is ever below two stacks or dropped then you are not doing your combustion optimally. You should be weaving in Phoenix Flames->Pyro and using Fire Blast->Pyro (but only FB -> Pyro refreshes Infernal Cascade and only during Combustion).

So a non crit opener normally goes:
Trinket, Combustion, FB, FB, Pyro, Pyro, PF, Pyro, FB, Pyro, PF, Pyro, FB, Pyro, PF, Pyro (you should be aiming to get at least seven Pyros in). (The crit opener is only slightly different and opens up the combustion to potentially get in eight Pyros, I would personally practice the non-crit one until you get it right).

Something that many people do not consider and wonder why they are failing the opener can be attributed to certain things:
-Haste Level
-Timing of using FBx2 and Pyrox2 at the start of the combustion
-Travel time of PF and Pyro compared to instantaneous Fire Blast
-Spellque Window/Lag Tolerance

So you munch a potential hot streak for a conduit buff? Seems degenerative, haha.

Not sure if you legitimately are asking a question or if this is sarcasm, but yes, you do. The exception to this is the scenario where you cast Pyroblast first and it crits. However, for someone trying to get the hang of the spec, it’s easier to practice the non-crit combustion sequence.

https://static.icy-veins.com/images/wow/classes/mage/fire-opener.jpg

https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/fire-mage-pve-dps-rotation-cooldowns-abilities#opening-sequence
“Below we list the standard Fire Mage opener. However, if you are running Infernal Cascade Icon Infernal Cascade (which is the best Conduit, so you should), there is a more advanced opener that requires significantly more practice to pull off successfully. We list this advanced opener after the standard opener below.”

If your pre-cast Pyroblast did not critically strike:

1. Cast Fireball Icon Fireball.
  2. Cast Combustion Icon Combustion + Fire Blast Icon Fire Blast a little bit over halfway through the Fireball cast.
  3. Use any on-use trinkets and racials like Sinful Aspirant's Badge of Ferocity Icon Sinful Aspirant’s Badge of Ferocity and Berserking Icon Berserking.
  4. Cast a second Fire Blast about half a second after the first one, but before the Fireball cast is over.
  5. Cast Pyroblast Icon Pyroblast twice. The first Pyroblast is the Pyroblast you get from using 2x Fire Blast, and the second one is from the previous Fireball + the first Pyroblast.”

https://www.method.gg/guides/fire-mage/playstyle-and-rotation
“ IF PYROBLAST DOESN’T CRIT DO THE FOLLOWING:

1. Fireball
  2. Combustion while Fireball is being cast
  3. Fire Blast
  4. Fire Blast
  5. Pyroblast
  6. Pyroblast

https://www.altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6917
10 - Advanced
Infernal Cascade Opener
“With infernal cascade, it can be a DPS increase during your second Fireball cast to use Combustion into one, or two (if your opening Fireball didn’t crit) Fire Blasts. The idea is to already have at least one Infernal Cascade stack when you use your first Pyroblast. Below I have provided some example sequences depending on covenant.“

https://overgear.com/guides/wow/fire-mage-9-0-guide/
“With Infernal Cascade conduit:

Approximately 0.8-1.3 sec before the end of casting Fireball use Fire Blast two times →
Pyroblast two times (the first one will receive Hot Streak from Fire Blast and the second one – from Fireballand Pyroblast) →
Meteor, if picked →
Phoenix Flames
Pyroblast
then follow Combustionpriorities.”

In case you’d like sources. So while it may be degenerate, I think most major sources are in agreement that if you don’t crit with a pre-pull Pyroblast that it is worth it to munch a proc by gaining the Conduit Buff by using two Fire Blasts—at least according to:
Altered Time
Method
Icy Veins
Overgear
Preheat (from YouTube—not linked in this post).