Treasure Goblin event is over, please disable sharding on RP servers

Remember the time Blizz said the default for RP servers was No Sharding?

https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/status/1022566187266232320

Can’t wait for that default setting to kick in.

8 Likes

Sharding done when? Please? Blizz.

4 Likes

Can we please have the phasin’ be over now? We already had to wait through the whole event… <D

4 Likes

Going to echo this as well. Not only is the sharding still on, but this time the sharding was egregious even relative to prior times it’s been implemented in Stormwind. At least in years past we had an ‘active shard’ to jump to via group up, this time before people decided to move to Darkshire I don’t think there was a single shard with more than 15 people in the entire city.

6 Likes

PLEASE make this change. Sharding makes RP in SW impossible.

5 Likes

I will add my name to the list! Sharding/phasing is also very bad for roleplay beginners and I have seen many posts about it recently where they were confused and discouraged. It is disheartening to read as well as for the new roleplayers who were looking forward to starting their journeys.

4 Likes

Please disable sharding, it is a major detriment to the roleplay community.

4 Likes

Please disable sharding.

4 Likes

Come on guys you forget to do this every single time. Disable the SW phasing.

4 Likes

Bumping this thread because sharding sucks, I like making new RP friends and hanging out with them.

Sharding prevents that and it makes me sad =(

4 Likes

BUMP!
This is damaging the RP community. Ive seen a lot of confused new RPers that’ve become discouraged from playing because of this.
Alternative world RP is there but not as easy to mingle like cities.

2 Likes

Hey everyone,

As technical support we don’t have direct influence over this issue, but I understand the impact this has for the communities on these realms. We’ve passed this issue along to see if we can find out more details, but we don’t have any concrete info on when it’ll be returned to normal at this time.

34 Likes

Thank you for passing along our concerns!

6 Likes

Thank you! This post was moved over here from the Customer Support forum by the SFAs there, likely for a similar reason. Previous reporting to General Discussion and the Bug Reporting forum when this issue has occurred in the past has proven to also not get to the right people.

I’m not sure who “the right people” internally are, but RP servers have some kind of custom ruleset that turns off phasing/sharding for legacy content including old-world capital cities that occasionally gets overwritten when events like new expansion launches, holiday events like this that drive a lot of people into one place or the Running of the Gnomes, or other content that would brick the server with too many people in one place happen.

The problem seems to be, from experience, that this overwriting of the custom ruleset needs to be manually undone after the event is over. I believe that it’s just Stormwind and Orgrimmar that are affected at this time, the rest of the old world content seems to be fine, but Stormwind and Orgrimmar are our main social hubs and sharding means that we can’t freely interact, which puts a big kibosh on our hobby.

Any assistance that you can give is appreciated!

8 Likes

Then maybe you guys need to create a specific place for when the players have issues like this since no where in the current layout is the “proper” place for it?

You did just openly identify an area in which blizzards is failing the player base.

Either way thanks for passing the info along.

7 Likes

If it is not working as intended, that would be a bug, and it world go in the bug report forum.

1 Like

It was stated that:

Therefor bug report forums are also not the place for it. Especially since sharding is working as intended. It just SHOULDN’T be turned on is all.

1 Like

In a way it sort of just feels like the RP servers were abandoned or just forgotten about. Which sucks considering we are quite a large portion of the population (obviously not majority, but not an insignificant amount)

Regardless, we know with the event starting on a Thursday that the sharding can be implemented without the need for a weekly (Tuesday) reset, so doesn’t that follow that it can be disabled at any time, too?

2 Likes

I have, in the past, seen sharding both turned on and turned off in realtime, as suddenly people fade in or out around me when events start midday, or someone finally flips the switch to ‘off’ again. It doesn’t seem to need a weekly reset, or it hasn’t in the past.

1 Like

Thank you tech support for answering. Sorry it’s not you guys we can ask. That being said, who is? Unless we’re expected to whisper into the screaming chorus that is general forums we have nobody to actually reach out to. Please feel free to list any forums better than this one to remind the correct people to turn off sharding on RP realms since it seems to happen rather often.

2 Likes