Trading Scam

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to put this out there for everyone to see. On Friday night, I had a guildie reach out to me offering to craft the Lionheart Helm for me. I mentioned in guild chat I was 6 Arcanite short. He offered to front me the arcanite and I could pay him back.

We go to the Anvil in IF, he takes my mats : 80 thorium, 40 wicked claws, 10 blue sapphires, 4 Azerothian diamonds, and 6 Arcanite bars (again he was covering the last bit, and I was going to pay him back). All and all about 700 gold worth of materials. (He tried to get me to pay for the mats up front but backed off when I said I was just going to farm the last crystals and I was ok with waiting)

After he got the materials from me, he logged off. 20 minutes go by, and I start to freak out. I reached out to other guildies who knew him better. After some digging we found he left discord, and the server discord (Bigglesworth). He transferred servers with my mats and sold them (so I hear).

This has set me back tremendously, but the important part here isn’t about me. The follow up from the GMs on this topic was less than ideal.

I opened multiple tickets, and received canned responses back to back. I escalated and asked for a head GM and got another response saying that they would not be able to restore my items because “this took place in Classic” and “is considered unsupported by [their] teams”. Trading/Professions are a huge part of the game and some recipes are incredibly rare so you MUST find someone you can trade to make this happen. I can’t believe this is the stance thats being taken, but there’s not much I can do at this point. I’m a level 59 Warrior. This is my BiS helmet. I had to chose between helmet and mount. I chose helmet and got burnt. This is a tremendous set back. Do not let this happen to you.

I know there were some red flags I probably missed, and I could’ve handled this better, but when it’s a geared out guildie you assume you can trust them more than the average crafter. This was also early in the morning so no one was on to verify.

I have screenshots but I cannot post a link to them in this post.

Is there anything that could be done? I just want my items back.

1 Like

That’s weird. I got scammed like that back in Legion and was refunded my materials.

I’m having difficulty pulling up the support article, but generally the extent of a GMs involvement is that they’ll take the mats away from the scammer but not give them back to you. I’ll edit it in if I find it.

They do not promise restoration, as stated.

2 Likes

Simply put, Meglo, no, there isn’t anything further that can be done. As the Game Masters stated, they will investigate the reported scam (and have done so) and if verified they will take appropriate actions which will include removing any gains from the scamming character. Please understood though, direct support for WoW Classic is limited, as stated in the thread WoW Classic Customer Support and You.

I am sorry for the frustration this may have caused you and for the loss of those items. Hopefully you’ll be able to recover and get the helm you wanted.

7 Likes