Trading names for gold?

Hey I’m wondering if trading names for gold is legal? Can you get banned?

If it’s ok. I’ve got OCE names on classic/retail for gold if anyone is interested.

Problem with that is the time. As I understand it, a name stays locked to an account for 30 days after a character is deleted. So if you sold one to someone they would be waiting a month to make sure they weren’t being ripped off (not that I am saying you are, but you get my oint).

Let me slide in here with the correct answer. No, it is not explicitly against the ToS, but it is also an unsupported transaction and Blizzard has been known to interpret that differently from time to time. The only recourse you have if scammed is to report the player and include a lot of details and you MIGHT be able to get them banned if you kept the entire discussion about your transaction in-game. You won’t be able to get your gold/name back, you just might be able to make sure they don’t scam anybody else. It’s the same idea as any other unsupported transaction like selling mythic raid kills or timed key carries.

I recommend adding people on bnet and using bnet to discuss anything important as the bnet launcher app automatically keeps a history that you can’t tamper with.

To clarify on the name rules - if the character is above level 30, the name will be locked to your account for 30 days if you delete it. However, you can delete your level 30+ character and let the 30 day timer count down while you hold the name on a level 1. You still have the name on your account, but after 30 days, it’s no longer locked and when you delete that level 1, the name is freed.

At that point, you can conduct a sale and just have to extend a little trust. You can try doing things like half-payment up front / half-after, but at the end of the day there’s no way to guarantee anything except to remind each other that you both have chat logs.

1 Like