Toxic, Obsessive, and Controlling Player needs to be removed

Yes, if she feels threatened in real life, then the police are the next step. However, I wanted to touch on these points:

If by “hunting down”, you mean camping and killing, nothing about this is really against the rules. In fact, on a PvP realm or in Warmode, this is very much part of the game.

“Talking smack” is not against the rules either (provided they are not using offensive language). It’s good that you said “from what I’ve heard”, because that means you have ignored him.

Also, if he has resorted to “talking smack” in public channels, it seems like he has stopped trying to bypass ignore and directly contact you. Which tells me that he DID get warned, at the very least, and has altered his behavior because of it.

5 Likes

To answer this particular part, they don’t take third party reports. If she’s not willing to do it herself, which is very unfortunate, then there’s nothing Blizz can do. She needs to be the one to report any ongoing harassment.

I’d also like to emphasize the suggestion that she contact her local police about any blackmail attempts.

4 Likes

I’m still not clear on what “hunting down” entails. If they are simply engaging in PvP, that isn’t a violation of policy so no ban hammer would be swinging. It doesn’t matter if the PvP is targeted or not. Guild vs Guild is not an unusual situation on PvP realms.

For the LookingForGroup chat, it depends what you mean. Talking smack tends to be fine in most situations. If they are using inappropriate language and/or subject matter, that tends to cross a line and should be reported via right click report for: language.

As the others mentioned, this appears to be infecting her real world, so I would recommend she contact her local authorities. There simply isn’t anything that we’d be able to do regarding contact that takes place outside of our game.

9 Likes

No, because you’re not the target. You know what they have to do, and it’s they who have to do it.

Unless he has personal information, there’s nothing he can do. A sense of perspective is important to keep. Remember this is a game, and all anyone ever knows about you, by default, is your avatar. Anything else is information one chooses to share, but if it’s not personal information, it really can’t be used to do anything harmful.

That said, I would concur with everyone else in that if she feels threatened, she should contact law enforcement. But while police tend to kinda-sorta allow people to contact on behalf of others, it really makes things easier if your friend contacts for herself. Your stake in all of this, if it’s not happening to you specifically, is fairly minimal I’m afraid.

2 Likes

It might be worth mentioning, as Ive seen this crop up a lot from time to time with guildies etc. Its a sad fact but as much as possible you need to show some self preservation and be very careful with what info you give to whom on the internet. The guy might be threatening to blackmail her by saying he will send things to her husband, so just being honest, sounds like she’s sent things she shouldn’t have to this guy, either personal information or has had conversations she maybe shouldn’t have had (otherwise she’d be self assure there would be nothing behind the threats). Things went pair shaped and now he’s ruffled by it. People by all means are allowed to act and conduct themselves in whatever manner they choose, but that doesn’t absolve one of any potential repercussions.

My advice would be to create a new battle net, maybe speak with customer support about maybe getting some help to transfer her main toons/gold etc onto the new bnet along with complete name changes, server changes etc. And start fresh. Or just do a complete do over - its annoying, but at least this way shes safe and as sad as it is can protect herself a little more from the social side of things.

She can also remove him and ip ban from the discord and make a ranking for new discord members that stops ppl from posting/messaging etc until they are approved by a group admin. This helps stop trolls.

I’m really sorry your friends are experiencing this, its not what should happen.

2 Likes

That’s a bit extreme. The guy doing the harassing is the one who should get in trouble, and will if the correct steps are followed. Unfortunately, those steps have been explained at length and need to be followed by the person having the problem, which isn’t the OP. Means there’s very little else we can do here.

1 Like

mmmm extreme yes, but when they obviously know your information, being slapped even with an account closure wont stop anyone who wants to be stalkerish, takes 5 seconds to make a new account and continue harassment. only way to completely stop it is to disappear. Unfortunately some people just don’t know when to let go. regardless of the punishment they suffer

I’ve notified everyone this will possibly effect about reporting harassment and ToS violations. Hopefully they all follow through, because this guy really is the lowest of the low. I can only hope at this point.

4 Likes

Let’s not go there and keep your opinions to yourself.

6 Likes

I would concur with Thunder. Anything further than what OP said in their last post is none of our business and starting to just get nosy.

4 Likes

Agreed. I think all of the necessary information has been shared so I’m going to go ahead and lock this one up.

3 Likes