Torghast: Don't stress too much about the timer, just minimize deaths

I have been tanking for undergeared friends and found something I’d like to share. In Torghast, the common misconception is run it as quickly as possible, with big pulls and everything, hoping to get 4 or 5 stars that way.

Actually, the timer does not have that big of an impact on the final score. Even if you finish the run really fast, the timer will give you a maximum of 50 points for beating the par. Meanwhile, only 3 deaths (-20 each) can more than offset that.

• Therefore, for undergeared groups, the better strategy is to go for small pulls, slow run, full clear, and to avoid deaths entirely.

I tried a different ways of tanking, and eventually carried my friends to Coldheart Interstitia +10 with an entire group undergeared (~205 ilvl avg vs 223 ilvl recomm.), and achieved 4 stars. :3

Here is the score breakdown:

Complete - 4 stars
Completion: 98% +98 points
Empowered bonus: +9 points
Time: 0:44:37 (par time 0:25:21) +8 points

Pillager: +5 points
Savior: +10 points
Reinforced: +10 points
Robber: +5 points
Rescuer: +5 points
Daredevil: +10 points
Plunderer: +5 points
Executioner: +10 points
Collector: +10 points

Final score: 185 points
3 Likes

i soloed 11 with zero deaths and 100% completion all floors and got 3 tars. somehow.

3 Likes

not enough bonus points

1 Like

oh i dont care about that tbh. i power up if the enemy needs it.

if that’s what it takes to 5-star then i just won’t 5-star.

1 Like

With 0 deaths and 100% completion, you will get a minimum of 100 points, which is 3 stars.

Wowhead has a guide called “Torghast Scoring System in Shadowlands - What Determines Your Points”. It lists all the hidden secondary objectives. Just complete a handful of those, and for sure you can get 4 stars (even without finishing within the timer).

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this information. I was a bit concerned about the timed element, as I don’t like to rush, but this is great to hear.

1 Like

If you want a high gem and to take it easy on time, just browse over the bonus points, you can get up to 140 from bonuses and another 100 for completion and just using your empowered gives a few points.

3 Likes

Do enough of this and you can easily get 5 stars without beating the timer.

2 Likes

Another nice tip, specially if you are undergeared, is to buy the bonus from Ve’nari which makes your first death in every Torghast run not count. In 9.0 you basically had an extra life, in 9.1 every Torghast run you start with a buff that makes your first death free.

It is a fairly cheap thing to buy and iirc you dont need very high Venari rep to get it, and it is also account wide, so definitely worth the buy.

3 Likes

Lots of great things here though they should still remove the timer.

Toughast was ok because despite it being tedious it was chill.

Now it’s even more tedious and not chill because you still feel rushed simply because there’s a timer.

3 Likes

If you aim for most of the bonus score things (I try to do highlander/no epic/all phylacteries/2 elites at once/500 anima at the end/chests/rescue/all remnants/no trap damage at minimum…) you will basically always get 5 stars as long as you get close to 100% completion and no deaths. Doing a huge pull with empowered buff and beating the par time are just icing on top. You can go over 300 points.

1 Like

Yeah I learned this recently. I got a horrible 3* my first time through, but repeated it focusing on the more easily obtained objectives - optimizing empowered (using to break phylacteries and on big packs with AoE CDs up, instead of using on elites / bosses), breaking all phylacteries, freeing all souls (even the inconveniently located ones), doing the 2-pull elites on floor 4 where I was very strong, stacking 5 oblerons (deliberately keeping track), and to get my last 10 points, killing the final Ethereal with a ravenous I bought earlier for +10 points ← bonus, also gave me > 500 phantasma on final boss bonus points.

Unfortunately only 4* on Coldheart interstitia, but F that place and Mort’regar.

1 Like

Honestly I’m super not enjoying blowing a half our in this place and getting these 199 scores at the end.

Being able to track to know if I’m scuffing a run before I’m 5 floors in would be helpful.

But that’s asking a WHOLE lot from a team who can barely keep the game from collapsing in on itself from a bug singularity.

3 Likes

im ilvl 211 and cant even solo twisted lvl 1. wasted 3 hours and got absolutely nothing but a ridiculous repair bill. boycotting torghast till they learn how to make a good scenario

not to be rude but that’s 100% a play issue. what spec are you trying to do it as?