Torghast Changes Incoming?

I saw “solo” mentioned ZERO times in that interview.

1 Like

Thanks Blizzard, see positive things coming. Now get rid of torments, they serve no purpose

2 Likes

Its decent news. Their direction hits on my main issues with it.

Namely - it takes too long to be fun when you fail, and its very unclear when I’m supposed to advance to the next tier.

1 Like

They could fix this by removing about 4 or better still 5 floors of dull and pointless, as well as making sure tankless groups can handle the final boss if they are appropriately geared for the level.

Now they should think about adding some rewards besides soul ash. Cosmetics like mog gear, toys, pets, mounts, something like that. Maybe make a currency that drops from floors that can be used to buy things.

I hope they do make it shorter and more enjoyable. I did my Cloak runs every week but I’m having a hard time motivating myself to do another Torghast run. I just walked into one, killed a few things and walked right out. I wasn’t having fun and there was no way I wanted to keep clearing trash for an hour just to go kill a boss that’s way overtuned.

2 Likes

I did the same thing with a floor recently. It was taking me so long to kill trash I just gave up because it was so boring.

1 Like

Just so people aren’t misunderstanding here, the mobs and bosses difficulty isn’t changing, they are just beefing up the classes that normally struggle in harder solo content, decreasing length of the floors, and making it clear there are hard gear and skill checks in upper floors.

I guess minor outdated information, as immediately after I wrote this, a blue posted the change list.

And basically what’s happening is, yup, difficulty nerfs across the board with some bosses, and layer 8 is essentially equivalent to a layer 6.

A pity.

I will be pretty sad if they make Torghast too easy. I think where its at currently is a very good place. Players who want a challenge can complete the higher level layers, and many players have and its been a totally rewarding accomplishment. Players who just want to get in and get some soul ash can do the lower tier layers. This system is great and thinks of all the players, i really hope they don’t give in to the GD trolls.

Also why are you guys constantly defending yourselves against Phyzick? They are clearly a troll looking to egg people on…wait it’s an Orc my bad carry on.

1 Like

they already think they fixed #2 by making it harder for tanks and heals…

so now the success rate by spec is closer across all specs…

They didn’t make it harder for tanks and heals, they made it needlessly frustrating. If the goal was to make me want to group with dps then they failed as after yesterday I don’t want to go back into Torghast period. Last week I was excited to do it again this week, now I legit dread going back in.

2 Likes

How is this fun being deleted? If anything, it’s more fun after these changes lol

Just like Tupac, livens up the place.

true by harder i meant more tedious :slight_smile: now you are like the rest of us…

i too dread going in there… but i have resorted to not going above my gear level/skills…

tho its mostly the anti-afk mechanics that are the biggest turn off to doing it…

That’s very true. As I’ve gotten into the upper layers, I’ve definitely noticed that more and more. The time investment and failure that follows has been my major issue as well.

I think they misunderstood this because the recent changes have gone in the opposite direction. They should have replaced “increase” with “equalize.” They’ve decreased the success rate for classes that weren’t struggling so that everyone could struggle in solidarity.

We’ll see. I certainly hope this happens, but I have to say that mobs who spawn every few seconds and/or that try and gank you after a fight aren’t speeding things along.

Regarding Ion’s quote from the Polygon interview at https://www.polygon.com/2020/12/17/22187242/world-of-warcraft-torghast-controversy-blizzard-response-balance-additions :

If layer one was like a normal dungeon, and layer two was like a heroic dungeon, but the time you’re getting up to layer six, that’s like… a Mythic +7. And layer eight is more like a Mythic +13 or +14. And there are some players who are very, very skilled and getting gear from other sources who are doing Mythic +14 dungeons this week!

I don’t see why they wouldn’t expect this. The primary reward out of Torghast is Soul Ash, and players are always going to aim for the most of a given reward. Why wouldn’t players want to go for the max ash possible? Why didn’t they list recommended item levels for each layer in the game interface itself?

As far as comparing these to Mythic dungeons, it’s apples and oranges. Nothing in Torghast even compares to even the difficulty of a Mythic0. The only roadblocks I’ve hit in Torghast are broken bosses that spam an ability that removes like 25% health with every hit (looking at the Empowered Imperial Curator). The only recourse is getting lucky enough to collect multiple copies of the anima power that reduces the cooldown on your interrupts. Barring that, you’re pretty much screwed when you get there. The difficulty in Torghast is primarily based on how much annoyance you can tolerate before hitting Alt-F4 in frustration.

Well at least they acknowledge that they screwed up and it was too easy but the system shock of running LAyer 6 with no deaths last week to now running Layer 3 or 4 and barely making it through rubbed MANY people the wrong way.

I’m sure we are about to see an explosion of high skilled players screaming about the dumbing-down of the game, which I would agree with if this was supposed to be difficult content for only highly skilled players. Torghast was created to be expansion wide content to grind on for all skill levels, replacing Island Expeditions in Bfa. It’s supposed to be busy work to keep us occupied between patches, and if it’s inaccessible to lower skill players, because they think its out of their reach, it’s not going to be successful in what they created it for.

There already are difficult game modes for highly-skilled competitive players, and there are higher floors if you want to challenge yourself. But let lower skill players participate in this.

We now have a blue post confirming details of incoming changes:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/updating-torghast-this-week/783123