Token Price Trends

A veteran player here considering returning to the game. I plan to use saved gold to buy a game time token, but I’m not necessarily in need of starting my adventures right away. I can wait a few weeks (or even months) if it would make a difference on the gold proce.

So… when do the token prices tend to be the lowest? I initially assumed that when the expansion drops they’d be at their peak, but maybe not. I’m thinking of jumping in for a short 30-60 day stint to maybe level an Alliance character up to 40 and open the Allied Races over there. Or maybe try out the new expansion content (after the initial wave of first day levelers).

I can look up the current price easily enough, but I’m looking to see if someone has a good sense of how the prices trend. Maybe prices would be higher at the expansion drop for people wanting game time to try out the new content. On the other hand, maybe they’d be lower with people wanting gold to spend on new content.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, but please…

#dfmb

Go to

https://wowtoken.app/

and change the time period to a year.

It actually looks pretty cheap right now.

Thanks! This is really helpful. I actually set the range to All Time and can get a good sense of the flow.

I see a real low spot in early 2023. Any idea what that was about? And another dip (not nearly as much) in early 2024.

It looks like we’re in a bit of a trough at the moment. Not sure if it’ll dip to the 250k range, but maybe I’ll watch it for a while.

Nice to encounter a helpful gamer in these forums. :grin:

#dfmb

1 Like

The problem is that other games affect the Token price as well, and I don’t follow them.

People buy Tokens with WoW Gold to get Blizzard Balance to spend on other Blizzard games. Then when they have splurged a lot, and are feeling a bit gold-poor, and have no need for more Blizzard Balance, they hang on to their gold.

If you want to correlate the gold price with something, you need to factor in all the games, and the current state of the WoW cycle.

I expect the recent spike was people buying Tokens with gold to pay for TWW.

When the Season starts in a few weeks, a bunch of people will be going the other way - buying Tokens with cash - to cover their gold needs for gear and consumables. So I would expect a dip in the gold price, when everyone has bought TWW and spent gold on prof costs and other expenses, but who knows?

Dragonflight launched Oct '22. You can see a hump in the price around that, followed by a pretty big dip around Mar '23. That is the pattern I would expect from an expansion launch, but note that the delay is like 2-3 months.

That’s kinda what I’m hoping for. Thanks for your explanation. It seems pretty logical. And like I said, I’m in no hurry to jump into “subscribed content”. I’m content with my occasional dabbling into old content with my little level 20s. I’ll keep an eye on the prices over the next few months and see if I can catch it at the dip.

#dfmb