Today Apple introduced new Macs - will WoW still run?

the only computer better than a mac is an alienware

Me too. For a large government department. I ran 200 servers, many different kinds and brands, including firewalls and directories. I wouldn’t say I was very good, but I did it.

Nice. I manage the network security for something close to fifty different businesses in my area.

Occasionally I will build a network from scratch. Those are the fun jobs. :slight_smile:

I occasionally did build the some of the servers that I ran, but generally we hired top-tier contractors to do the building, I was more like a sysadmin and caretaker for the 200 servers that they delivered me. Most of them were in clusters so they were different equipments but identically configured. My password book had approximately 1000 passwords.

1 Like

I got a Macbook pro from a former employer, got to keep it when I was laid off. 2013 model. I have since passed that thing down to two of my kids. it’s a great machine that has zero issues. I wish I could afford to buy myself a new high-end model, but I can’t so I have a windows machine. The only downside to macs is thier cost imo, and if you have the funds they are probably better value in the long run.

I don’t envy you there. :laughing:

I think the main reason I choose Macs is because I am/was tired of being an admin for Windows and Unix/Linux boxes. Just exhausted. In a sense I am “retired” from “work.” Most of my friends and family have migrated to Mac computers, so I’ve almost been able to stop supporting Windows.

That’s as good a reason as any. Personally I prefer the windows and Unix/Linux based systems because of the ease of support and the easy customizability/upgrade potential.

It’s a lot easier to get parts for and to fix most windows computers as opposed to Macs too.

Those Microsoft surface books though? Those things can go right to heck. They’re literally glued together. I had to fix one once and it was the biggest pita ever. :laughing:

I’ll be nice to you and say that the only thing rated lower than a MacBook for repairability on iFixit is the 2017 Microsoft Surface. I think the newer Surface scored higher than the MacBook, by a bit.

Yeah, they’re a pain.

You don’t have to worry about “being nice to me” btw. I try to be nice to folks but you’re not going to hurt my feelings.

If we disagree about something we disagree about something. It’s not a big deal. :laughing:

It’s pretty rare that two people who are arguing vehemently with each other can walk away at the end in good terms. I wish peace were that easy in other countries too.

1 Like

Actually that’s not on Apple, that’s on your Graphics card.

Agreed. Folks have a tendency to let emotions cloud their judgement though.

I was just enjoying the discussion. :grin:

WoW on a Mac? In 2020? Yikes, man.

I’ve been on a Mac since about 2000. And only now are Macs starting to really take off in terms of performance. Glad I stuck with it.

Have you watched The English Game on Netflix yet?

I have never subbed to Netflix.

To edit film as an independent producer/director like Robert Rodriguez because you can make amazing movies well under budget which will keep you employed.

first problem here is that you are using a mac

Well, benchmarks are starting to come out. It looks like the MacBook Air is scoring around 1140 single-core and 4900 multi-core, and the MacBook Pro is scoring around 1730 single-core and 7500 multi-core. (Same processor, but the Pro feeds it more power and has a fan, while the Air is fanless.) This is Geekbench 5, and appears to be a beta build of a native version.

Battery life ranging 15-20 hours, though I’m sure that’s not while playing games.

I have no idea what these numbers mean in terms of actually playing the game, if anything.

I’ve ordered the 13” MacBook Pro (trading in my 2018 Mac Mini) — primarily because as I age and my eyesight changes, I’m finding it a lot less comfortable to spend lots of time at my desk, so I’d like to be able to work elsewhere. I hope the machine can play WoW reasonably well, but if it can’t, that’s not my top priority.

ETA: I didn’t see any scores that were obviously from the Mini, but I would expect them to be higher since there are no battery life concerns.