Tips to get better at pvp

I actually suck at pvp no matter if its world arenas or bgs ect
just wanna know how to get better

The best way imo is to become familiar with all classes and their abilities. And play the game. That’s the only real way you’re going to get better.

10 Likes

Once you learn the abilities, think of the game like chess. Don’t fixate on one piece. Get a bird’s eye view of what is happening and can happen.

3 Likes

This. If you don’t do this first you are extremely handicapping yourself. The best players have usually played all classes at some point or at least know of every spell/talent in the game.

1 Like

Do the most damage and take the least damage.

3 Likes

Fight in the middle till you’re good at it

Ignore everyone telling you not to, they don’t understand the call, the need, to do battle in the middle

3 Likes

In wPvP, you don’t have to be great. You just have to be better than your opponent.

If you have no clue what you’re doing, start by doing your rotation. They may freeze up and do nothing. That’s one way to win.

2 Likes

I mean - what do you wanna get better at? Just PvP in general? Takes time. Lots of death. Gotta get used to reading a situation.

For all forms of PvP, there’s a couple of fundamentals. Knowing when to wall, when to burst, when to CC, etc. Knowing when the other guy is gonna turn around and try to kill you is pretty important too.

1 Like

Pvp is like physical training; the only way to get better at pvp is by doing pvp. There’s no knack or ace in the hole - there is only niche scenarios where either your class/spec combo performs better under the circumstances OR you are more skilled than your opponent. Good luck…

IMO the best way, especially if you are talking about arena, is just to queue up. It takes a lot of games won and loss to build the core knowledge you’ll need to get better. When you play, always question what you could have done better regardless of if you win or lose. Recording matches and reviewing them or having someone that is already good at PvP review them can be worthwhile.
Watching streams of high end players and asking questions in chat can also be helpful.

I would also focus on playing one spec and sticking to one comp as you learn. Jumping around between classes might seem helpful for learning what they each do but it can really set you back on getting better at your main spec.

But ultimately there is no replacement for just putting in the hours and playing. So queue up!

3 Likes

all these people have given good tips dont get me wrong but pvp isn’t just about playing against the class its also against the “Player” hence pvp. People have habits, they have weakness’s in the form of routines they often follow in bgs or arenas. You want to kick the tar out of your opponent you want to start developing mental skills… some folks here would disagree with that i’m sure but that is because they don’t like thinking in video games they just like mashing buttons and that only gets you so far. Being able to tell when an enemy is preparing to burst you and completely countering it is a must as well as telling when ones trying to bait you into a trap around a blind corner. Always assume in open combat the other guys going to get back up before you do and try to plan accordingly. Again its all trail and error but with practice you’ll get better. =)

1 Like

Practice, practice, practice. You’ll get there.

1 Like

This.

Also, I have friends who have (most) classes at level cap, so whenever I feel I am struggling against a specific class/ability/something, I have them log on and just slam my head against them until things start to feel remotely better lol

Knowing your class with all of its abilities, as well as the classes you are up against, helps. A lot.

1 Like

Watch some of the PvP Streamers and join some of the class discords.

An other thing i feel needs addressing is this: Alliance doesnt do well in most random group cases in random bgs… there are multiple reasons to this that even i dont understand after all the time i have played since burning crusade. So if your pvping on alliance its best now to just accept you will prob see more loses than wins and if not great for you cause you have better luck than i do but still… kinda need to come to terms with that off the git go cause other wise it can get kinda daunting real quick.

Roll a demon hunter
Become impossible to kill
???
Profit.

2 Likes

they are nuke nerfing them in SL, DH are loosing alot of their dodge from abilities and getting leech nerf to boot.

GOOD.

There should be no reason an entire party is needed just to kill one, and they still take out 3-2 of them anyway.

i know the pain on my dk but i also have a horde dh so in a way it is kinda a bummer but oh well, i just got her to 120 too =(

It’s because of that, I don’t mind greater pyroblasting spam them.

That’s being taken away but fire is always weak in expansion starts.