Tiny Red Carp post-skill change

I’m sitting in the Fields of Niuzao in Kun-Lai Summit, near Seeker Zusshi doing that I have been doing for what seems like forever – trying to fish up a Tiny Red Carp out of open water. I just passed 4000 catches and still nothing.

Based on what I’ve read, if you have lower skill you’ll get a lot of Golden Carp and a very low (if any?) chance of the elusive little red guy. Here’s the catch. Since they re-worked trade skills in BfA, my (I think impressive) maxed out fishing skill in Pandaria is 190 (150 base + Underlight Angler + Tuskarr Spear buff + Rumsey’s Lager + Nat’t Hat + Hat buff). As far as I’m aware, there isn’t a way to get any higher. But based on my lack of luck and the extremely high number of Golden Carp I’ve gotten, I’m wondering if the “old world” fishing stuff is somehow now even more difficult than it was back in 5.3? I have heard of people getting it post patch 8, but not many. And no one seems to have addressed the skill change issue to see if the drop rate has gone down considerably as a result.

So my question is this: Am I just VERY unlucky or is there something to this? Thoughts?

Extra details of my catch numbers (actual numbers kept for me by Fishing Buddy for this specific location:

Totals: 4001 Catches
Skill 150+40[190]
Golden Carp: 2251
Redbelly Mandarin: 920
Emperor Salmon: 749
Sealed Crate: 80
(and some Flying Tiger Gourami, but I don’t turn those in any more and intentionally keep on in my bag to prevent more from dropping, so the number doesn’t matter)

Thanks for any insight! In the meantime, I’ll continue to cast and pray.

2 Likes

Good luck to you! That is dedication for the Tiny lil guy…

I haven’t tried to get that one since MoP was relevant content. Think about it any time I am there, but just don’t have the patience.

I hope you get it soon.

I was grinding fish for ironpaw tokens the other day and got a tiny white carp at about 800 casts. As I recall, when I was actually grinding for the carps it was around 1k-1200 casts per, but I don’t have exact figures.

I’m going to say you have very bad luck =/

I have the white, blue and green. No issues with any of them – all less than 500 cats each, a couple of the ‘hard’ ones, such as blue, only about 150 casts at most. Guess my luck is just junk with this red guy. Although looking at the AH prices of one, they’re either very valuable as a battle pet or I’m not the only one with such luck. The other carps are around 15k on my server, but the red is right around 100k. Be great if I could get 2 just to sell one! lol

I really miss El’s site, you could usually find this kind of info there. I think it’s always been the rarest though. I got it back during Mists and if I remember it was just about 4k casts before I caught it, even got the turtle mount first while I was fishing for it. Hopefully you’ll see it soon.

2 Likes

I think it has always been very difficult to catch. Even during the heyday of MoP. I always got plenty of the other three, perhaps only one Red Carp.

2 Likes

I can pretty much confirm this. I got carps galore before the fish-squish. Now you can’t get them.

What’s also a lot harder is catching Lunkers from Draenor, which is also based on fishing skill.

Squishes are ALWAYS sneak in a decrease to character power, otherwise they wouldn’t do them.

Yes, even fish-squishes.

2 Likes

I haven’t had a problem with Lunkers – I can fish up 5 of a given type in maybe 30 minutes on average – helps a ton if there’s another player nearby in case you get some “pharamones” which brings my catch % from around 4-5% up to around 10% for the duration (5 minutes). The carp, though… No over 5500 catches and no luck. Still going back when I’m bored and working since it’s sort of just … there.

I was finally granted the Red Carp today. So I am able to confirm that if you are max fishing skill and you use all the other toys to increase your skill it can drop. It can be fished up on the special fishing days from the pond in Townlong Steppes. I have only been fishing for it for the past 10 days. BLUF I got is Toxic fish power.

The Tiny Red Carp tends to sell for 80 to 100K on my server. I don’t have it yet because every copper is being saved up for the Brutosaur mount, but when I do I’ll just buy it rather than farm it. It takes far less time to earn the gold than to hope for RNG to smile on you. Unless of course you want to get it the hard way for personal satisfaction, I would recommend just farming the gold to purchase it.

1 Like