Timeline for Illidari

From the timeline on Wowpedia, I see we were imprisoned at Black Temple in year 26, and released to fight the Legion six years later in 32. When might we have been recruited, especially for Night Elves who wouldn’t have been there with Prince Kael’thas? Was Illidan making recruiting trips back to Kaldorei towns back in those years, or did we only reach Outland with the opening of the Portal? Trying to brainstorm a backstory for my VDH, and wondering what all I need to account for.

EDIT: Just came across this in Wowpedia post on Illidari : Over the course of Illidan’s career as one of Azeroth’s most prominent heroes or villains, he had amassed various followers, servitors, and allies. Those that have flocked under Illidan’s banner were enticed with either promises of power, vengeance, or were subjugated by Illidan himself. Most prominent of Illidan’s followers were Illidan’s demon hunter apprentices. Originally, Illidan trained night elf outcasts who became demon hunters to fight the Burning Legion during the Third War.
So a Night Elf could have followed Illidan to Outland back when he first went there.