Timegating on Cosmetics

Continuing the discussion from Timegating:

Hi Community Council,

There’s also timegating on cosmetics, Blizzard doesn’t add bad luck protection or better drop rates, but they could remove the lock out for MoP world bosses instead of a week, daily.

The biggest time gating at least for me, it’s regarding Holiday’s mounts, they keep moving the minimum level requirement for the epic box each year since Legion patch 7.3.5, Why is this timegating? Because Collectors must level every alt again 10 levels each time a new expansion is release, there’s not a good explanation from Blizzard why besides the low drop, we’ve to level up alts again.

A lot of Old Raids could have daily lock out instead of weekly, that could improve the transmog/mount runs for players with less characters compared to collectors with multiple alts.

they could remain with low drops that several members on the community ask for reviews just like they did with Mecha done achievement, but at least they could improve the attempts / time ratio for those low drops, other games allows you to run dungeons/raid without a lockout when those are outdated content.

Also, there’s casual players that may lost some weekly attempts but when they’ve time they would like to do 3-5 runs for the same tmog or mount, the only way to do that right now is via 3-5 alt characters with the right level, some casuals will appreacite the QoL change if they could do 3-5 runs with a single character when they’ve time, so the game could provide a better field for 1 character to many while maintaining the “rarity” that some players like.

3 Likes

I don’t think you are using the phrase “time gating” correctly.

Can you communicate your post without the phrase “time gating”?

2 Likes

I disagree with this, i’m an avid collector but i think that we’re better off keeping raid mounts and world boss mounts at a weekly chance, having said that, i could see Blizzard doing it at some point because as it is now i’ll travel around the place taking my weekly shot at different mounts and then the rest of my week is pretty sparse.

If you added a bunch of old world boss and raid mounts into my available daily activities i think there’s potential for me to be much more busy, i just prefer to do my weekly runs and then relax, i like looking forward to reset day.

1 Like

If it’s daily you can choose to do it any day or do another things, you can even just do 1 attempt per week and you won’t need the same amount of alts that’s required now.

I no longer use an army of alts to try and brute force my way around RNG of boss drops, i just take my weekly shot and cross my fingers, smashing something without any weekly limits kinda feels like standing at a counter and buying scratch lottery cards one after the other for ages until you win something, i think the activity itself loses its excitement if you just spam it.

Each to their own though, you want to bash your head into the RNG wall daily and i prefer it weekly, there is no right or wrong answer here, just preferences.

1 Like

I second this. I beliece that a lot of timegating for old content is outdated. Maybe they could also add an account-wide skip to raids, instead.

True and those voices (Both sides) need to be hear by Blizzard and they can choose just like they improved Mecha Done achievement, i don’t know which post they take on consideration for those changes on 9.1.5 because they never reply to a player post.

I would like to see Devs response on cosmetics drops, lockouts as mentioned on this post, bad luck protection and other topics, beside us discussing this topics a lot, there’s a vocal majority that doesn’t use the forums and there’s a lot of things right now in game that could cause a quit moment for players and don’t bring new players, while other games reward players better.

I consider this mechanics as timegating because on previous patches there wasn’t a lockout for holiday’s mounts, you just reset the instance and get inside, when they introduced the dungeon finder it changed to a daily lockout which put a timegating barrier for the next attempt, basically lockouts are that a time barrier for the next attempt.

Even when i already have the 4 MoP World Bosses mounts, i always mention ideas for those drops because i know the issues around those farms.

1 Like

It’s less about time gating and more about how rare they want something to be, if an item has an X % drop chance but you can only farm it weekly, that determines how elusive it is or more to the point how elusive Blizzard wants it to be.

Blizzard rarely gives without taking something away, i feel like if they were to make raid/world bosses of old content spammable daily instead of weekly, they’d probably want to lower the drop chances to compensate for the enhanced access.

I have Galleon’s and Oondasta’s mounts but still need Sha’s and Nalak’s so i’m not making this argument to try and self sabotage or anything, by rights i’d probably be better off if you got what you wanted but i’m trying to look at the bigger picture.

anything increasing drop rate is fine with me, I’m tired of people justfying the low drop of things in this game.

3 Likes

Just bumping the bottom range of drop rates to 1% would probably do the trick instead of changing lockouts.

I know that, they could take several paths to improve the current state, there’s players that don’t want any change at all. I don’t get their idea around “rarity” and players must endure the same that i did.

Blizzard could take any rng reward and increase drops, alter spawns, lockouts, add a bad luck mechanic or include it to BMAH at any moment, a lot of players are asking for any input around these from them for cosmetics like Tusks of Mannoroth, Holiday’s mounts,WB mounts and others.

1 Like

This i 100% agree with, 1% drop is fine in my books but anything under that is cruel, the likes of Sha and Love Rocket come to mind, they’re insanely low.

2 Likes

There should be some rules around drop % between the amount of attempts that a player with a single character have, so they can provide a better scenario, the worst drops as you mentioned are holidays or weekly lockouts with less that 1%.

Compared to rares that you could farm each day with better drop rates.

There’s always a ratio between attempts/drop %, right now we’ve some insane scenarios.

BTW, I always mention from 1 character to multiple because that’s the minimum for any player and a Dev has to take on consideration all the scenarios, that’s why they don’t create somethings account wide because it’ll create a scenario that players with alts have an advantage and they keep reps for each character as example.

A little transparency would be great too, Blizzard is notorious when it comes to keeping us in the dark on drop chances, spawns, locations and such. I think if there were more transparency, situations like the Love Rocket and Sha wouldn’t happen, or they wouldn’t happen without there being a big fuss kicked up.

We should be able to scroll down the mount collection tab, mouse over a mount and have it tell us who drops it and what the percentage is, i think Blizzard would come off looking terribly if they had to actually publish Sha 0.01% or whatever.

Due to that lack of transparency, they changed Anniversary mount from 1-3% to 100% via hotfix, that’s another example of Blizzard noticing bad RNG, there was like 15 days for last year anniversary, the lockout was daily, i did 70+ attempts between 2 days before that hotfix, that means that a player with a single character could have the same bad luck for 4.6 years of attempts with a single character.

There’s plenty of different scenarios that if you think from 1 character as minimum, those become almost imposible. And i would like to see more new players engaging in the game and noticing collecting things as something possible, more with a probably new playerbase if WoW is included into the XBOX gamepass.

1 Like