Tier Sets in PvP

Since tier sets were added back to the game in Shadowlands, anyone who PvP’s knows how much of a headache they have become. With the current format of having tier sets be the same for PvE and PvP, but the effects being nerfed for the latter, every season you have to determine whether it is beneficial to have sucky secondary stats or to skip 4-set/tier entirely. While I can’t speak for every class and spec, I can speak for my main and let others chime in on their specs as well. Currently, Retribution Paladin tier set actually performs worse in PvP than if you were to skip it entirely and have better secondary stats (this video from Lvladen breaks it down well, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dass-GzuJ1Y&t=625s ). This should never be the case, acquiring the seasonal spec power up should always feel good to use. This brings me to my next point. If tier sets need to be made to cater to PvE players but retuned for PvP, why not just make PvP specific tier bonuses? With the current structure some specs have tier bonuses that make them wildly better, while others skip them entirely because after tuning they’re useless. I’m not advocating for anything super fancy or gamebreaking, in fact I think PvP specific tier should be the opposite. Small bonuses that don’t break the game but still feel good to acquire and use as you gear up. Using Retribution Paladin as an example, tier set could look something like: 2-set The Judgement debuff causes the target to suffer an additional 5% damage from your next Templar’s Verdict or Divine Storm. 4-set When Templar’s Verdict or Divine Storm consumes the Judgement debuff, they strike again at 15% effectiveness. This set combo is a nerfed version of last season’s and this season’s tier set, without all the fluff the requires it to be nerfed in PvP. Also, with PvP specific tier, we could have tier from vendors like we used to where it’s already on the conquest gear when you buy it, no need to convert your conquest items to tier and have the stats change. The balance of this for PvE could just be that the tier bonus only applies to outdoor world content when Warmode is enabled and instanced PvP combat, so PvE mains don’t feel required to farm PvP to be “optimal” for M+ or raiding. TL;DR Get PvE tier out of PvP and make specific tier for PvP’ers. Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

3 Likes