Three Weeks Left

All the classic versions have been doa for me. No interest in leaving my retail characters and not enough time to play both. And yeah, these probably could’ve stopped with Wrath. I can’t imagine Cata getting the same hype as TBC or Wrath.

1 Like

I didn’t mind Cata too much but have zero desire to go back into it again.

1 Like

I thought it was odd that they didn’t keep at least one dedicated server to preserve each expansion separately. Kinda defeats the whole point of players wanting to play a specific expansion. I wonder if Cata will be the last “Classic” server since they’re doing this remix thing for MoP. Although, considering how much content is missing from the remix, I hope we still get a MoP classic.

4 Likes

I only dabbled in Classic and Wrath and decided they were not for me, mainly because I hate only being able to cast two spells then having to shoot things with a wand, but I agree with the OP. This is a distinct era and it would make sense to have at least ONE server where people can still play it.

2 Likes

Vanilla was the worst incarnation of this game and it should be left and forgotten for good just like Arthas.

2 Likes

I think the idea is that by periodically introducing and retiring these era servers they’ll avoid the stagnation and bloat that otherwise awaits any period-locked content.

P1999 EverQuests semi-official “classic” server has been up for well over a decade and regulars there have endless resources to spend.

1 Like

TBC for me was BiS

I will never forget the unique “atmosphere” at the time - the tightknit guilds, the highly active/social community aspect was flourishing, people actually talked to each other ingame back then without fear of catching a false ban, etc - it felt… magical, for lack of a better word :relieved:

Some of these people saying “i started in Cata, what’s the problem?” have nooooo idea what they missed out on lol…

Comparing Vanilla-WoTLK babies to Cata-onwards babies is basically equivalent to a massive party where you got to experience all the good times/all the good food/live music from a real-life band/etc if you happened to show up early or from the start (Vanilla-WoTLK babies)… while on the other hand you mostly got meager tablescraps or “leftovers” if you happened to show up late - and the live music band/main attraction already left the venue (Cata babies)

3 Likes

My dude the old world was alliance dominated. The Horde queue was literally undoable cuz you instantly dropped neutral zones for Barrens to be save from gankings. Blizzard outright admitted they ignored Horde content on purpose because after finishing the alliance zones the release date of the original game was already ahead.

Honestly I don’t think the plan was to actually provide a “classic experience” for the playerbase. The plan was to greatly diminish the popularity of the Private Server scene since Cease and Desist letters have no effect on the servers hosted outside of the US and Canada.

5 Likes

Sometimes i think people hate Cata because they think their supposed to.

8 Likes

The issue with keep servers for Wrath and TBC is how quickly the Era servers died for Vanilla. It took SoM, Hardcore and SoM to get people interested in Vanilla again. Why bother wasting time with era servers that will struggle to keep interest

Exactly. They only hate it because someone else said so and they aren’t really able to form their own opinion

5 Likes

You can’t really generate interest for a game that would have died if everything stayed the same and nothing changed. That is what classic was. Very ancient and left behind by the competition. Cataclysm was the peak of the sub numbers so it makes total sense they will stop the classic server re release with this expansion.

1 Like

They could do a WoD classic but theyd need to add stuff to it, and then its Classic +

Which i hope they do, but WoD class as is would be, what, a year st best?

Ya… no, they’re def going to keep going

We should have at the very least one server for each Classic expansion.
I’d eventually play to the BiS in all classes in Wrath, MoP, Legion if that was the case, then stick for the occasional PvP.

Since they don’t, the only alternative for TBC (and soon, Wrath) era servers is gonna be private servers, again… =(

3 Likes

TBC was honestly hot garbage. Idk why people thought xpac was good

Gotta say I see the OPs point . It’s stupid that blizzard it’s essentially putting time limits to classic servers because it’s like “so now we are changing to cata”

We have retail for playing the game if you want “live” or real time progression of content.

I’m confused now on the classic servers. Wasn’t the driving factor to keep servers in a “forever” state of the game?

Also as another suggested just make separate servers “this is the wrath server” this is the “cata server” this is classic etc.

And don’t tell me of cost. How many servers would you need? Also blizz has billions, also cost of doing business.

7 Likes

Nostalgia + Flying. Also, even with all its issues, it was a definite improvement over Vanilla.

2 Likes

I’m going to make a dwarf with your name for D&D.

Bromboner Ironshaft, Beardless Blacksmith of Brynhold.