Threads of Fate vs Story Mode

Depends if you got a gathering profession like herb/mining then threads is faster.

I have 5 level 60s and have done ToF for every single one except for the first one. I personally like ToF more because I get to play around with my covenant abilities and can do random BGs or dungeons.

TOF is only useful for a couple of things.

1. You are going to level via dungeons, and want the covenant abilities.
  2. You are going to level via PvP, and want the covenant abilities.

If you are going to quest, leave the main quest on, because it gives you more options. TOF is horrible to try and level in, if that’s all you’re doing is questing. Just turn TOF on right before you ding 60, which will auto complete the main quest, so you don’t have to finish it before starting campaign.

I love TOF renown FTW

It really depends on the class/role you play and the content you enjoy IMO.

I don’t tank, even on characters that have a tank spec. But if I did, threads +dungeon spam is pretty quick. Instant queues and the bonus bag are icing on the cake.

I do heal on characters that have a heal spec. Threads + dungeon spam is my preferred method for healers. Again this is pretty quick, and you sometimes pick up the bonus bag of money/runes.

For DPS classes/roles, especially ones I am not comfortable doing in dungeons, I prefer to do the main story (while avoiding all side quests) until about 54/55, then swap to threads from there. I hit up all the side quests and world quests that aren’t slogs. In a rare few cases I do bonus objective areas when they overlap with side quests and/or world quests. This leads to a comfortable leveling pace for me and allows me to avoid things I don’t want to do.

If you want to farm rep while leveling, do the quests. Otherwise, do the story. Most of the campaign quests don’t give rep. Actually doesnt really matter if you dont care about rep.

kinda neither. but threads for my cov ability to assist in killing rares on EK/kalimdor via chromie time/lvl sync and to help fend off noobs in warmode while i do pet battles.

Honestly threads of fate is faster, do sidequests only and you’ll hit 60 before even being done all 4 zones

I like the feeling of freedom that tof gives than the on rails feeling story mode gives.

My mage is into level 58 now and all he’s done is fill the covenant bars. I’m 54% through Revendreth with the other three done. Goes pretty fast, I think.

I did this. Well not really lol!! I leveled to 60 in story mode. I was maybe 3 quests into Ardenweald when I hit 60. As soon as I hit 60, I went back to Oribos and entered ToF to open everything up without completing the last 2 zones.

1 Like

OMG that sentence also exists in my languaje (spanish), how funny.

Threads of fate is very much so slower. It’s way too slow. The best thing to do is go to level 59 through story then switch to threads where you can just pick your covenant and start on that situation.

1 Like

ToF is absolute garbage, unless you like leveling slower, making less gold, and grinding the same dungeons you’ll be grinding at end game anyhow.

1 Like

Story mode feels faster, especially since you’re neatly pushed through each zone in a fairly organized manner, and can easily grab side quests along the way if they’re right there. ToF is scattered, since you’re doing some side quests, world quests and bonus objectives (which take forever!). Might not be as bad if you’re a tank or healer and queue for dungeons as well, and throw in some pvp, but I rarely do that while levelling, so I couldn’t say for sure.

I’m currently leveling a paladin tank through ToF. It’s kinda slow for me, but only because I have limited time to play.

honestly it feels about the same pace to me but i like TOF more just cause i can go where i want and do my least favorite zones last

I prefer threads. The difference in time is fairly negligible but the jump you get on anima and renown is huge. With the jump straight to 5 renown I can usually do the first 2-3 chapters within my first week of being 60 if the renown catch up is to my favor.

I recently leveled my DH with Threads of fate and it wasn’t really any slower. I only did a few dungeons. I hit 60 before I could finish Threads of Fate. It was a breath of fresh air just doing side quests, bonus objectives and WQs.

If you will be spamming dungs then ToF.

1 Like