Threads of Fate vs Story Mode

Last I read Story Mode was faster than leveling ToF, but if I’m leveling a tank character would you say ToF is slower still or nah? Thanks

1 Like

I hear a mix of both is best

1 Like

I’d say still start in story mode for 3 or so levels (starting ones go quick). Then swap to threads at 53/54 and spam dungeons as tank. Easy 60 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

story mode definitely feels faster

1 Like

Story mode was definitely faster, but I think I had a huge jumpstart on anima and renown for the toon that did Threads of Fate.

ToF wasnt any fun though, those bonus quests are grindier than grindy

4 Likes

I don’t like doing the story because it’s on rails and it makes you go to Bastion first. Sometimes I want to do as little of that zone as possible. I like threads because I can mix it up and do whatever the hell I want.

8 Likes

READ! opinions are like buttcracks everyone has one and they normally stink

From my own experience:
Threads if it’s a geared alt from BFA; mine was ~130 but I think anything above 110 would work.
Story if it’s a new character.

If you try Threads as a “greenie” (you’ll get to 50 at ilvl 70~80) it will take a long time to complete WQs and you won’t be getting gear as consistently as with the story.

Hmm I’ve never had that problem, probably because I do side quests and dungeons. Never relied on WQ for gear (while leveling.)

If you spam dungeons, Threads is faster by a bit.
It’s been tested by speed runners.
I regret going that route.

I tried Threads on a fresh 50 spriest (i regret btw) and it took me like 20mins to complete a WQ, same WQ took me two big pulls as 130ilvl unholy.

The difference between the two is insignificant. Who cares if it takes you 30 more mins to hit max. Threads of Fate gets you to renown 5, which is why you should take that route instead of story.

2 Likes

Do story mode till you don’t feel like following it (again) anymore. You can switch to threads at any point, just not back to campaign.

The one that holds your attention more is gonna be the faster path.

Yea Ive leveled 5 level 60’s with story mode so I’m considering changing it up that’s why I asked

I believe that if you’re going to pull out all the speed leveling tools the storyline is faster. Meaning using speed pots, gob gliders, and AAP for pathing.

In my experience leveling a Tank or Healer just spam queueing and questing through ToF is fairly inline with doing the same but with storyline. DPS is a little slower because of queue times but still doable in a 9ish hour period.

I just hit 60 on my first alt today and comparing the two Story was way faster!! Tof took forever and I got bored as hell. The only good thing was getting the renown and anima early on. I am definitely going Story mode on my next alt I level.

1 Like

Tank/Heals: ToF and spam dungeons. You’ll be 60 in half a day.

I did so many dungeons leveling my Mage in Tof I nearly fell asleep doing the exact same 4 dungeons over and over again lol. And that was a dps that had a like 10 min wait time. But I guess if someone is that determined to get to 60 super fast and doesn’t get bored with it then it will work lol.

Both are incredibly quick to level in, the difference is largely personal preference at this point.

ToF if you can’t tolerate another run through of Bastion, Main Story if you’re sick to death of Plaguefall and Necrotic Wake.

I’d rather take the extra few moments with threads than have to endure the most painful questing WoW has to offer