Thrall Short Story is Up

Here it is.

9 Likes

I am very curious to see more of Amarehz, or Rehze as she has been called up until now, in the future.

Sheā€™s a fun one.

8 Likes

I guess at least some of the Barrens is quite greenā€™d up.

Naralex is just failing until he finally succeeds. Bless him.

6 Likes

I pray to all lore gods above, Thrall will be alive by the time TWW is over. He deserves a happy ending with his family.

2 Likes

Wait, didnt you hate him before?

7 Likes

I think I just did a double take, did Erevien just wish Thrall had a happy ending and not scream for his murder? Someone pinch me, Iā€™m not dreaming right?

All jokes aside, I really liked the story

The Moira one was still the best out of all of them by far but I did like learning more about different orc cultural rites

9 Likes

So, Iā€™m a dad of twoā€¦ this story quite touched me.

Take away all the fantasy elements and you have here a father that is struggling with who he is as a person and what to do as a father. Wanting the kids to be strong, and independent, but also wanting to protect them from the world, It is a tough balance, sometimes you protect too much, sometimes you demand too much.

Of course, in terms of this being a warcraft story, this is really good as well. Thrall and Jaina are the only Warcraft 3 leaders that havent gone into retirement at this point, and Thrall is feeling that, he is getting old, and all I can wish for him is a worthy retirement with his son taking the mantle as the Orc figurehead.

11 Likes

I kinda wish it went a little more into Durakā€™s personality, its clear heā€™s the Zug Zug one and a bit rebellious against Thrallā€™s overprotectiveness but not much else.

As of Cata, green wasnā€™t the problem. In fact, he greened it up too much.

3 Likes

Yes. Thrall is back and when he dies the rest of the Horde will be gone and all the ideals he stood for. That would be devastating for most fans. So I hope that doesenā€™t happen.

2 Likes

So reading through it, I really enjoyed it. Its great to see him be a dad and struggle with all that it entails, reflect on the past 30 years now, especially the past 20+ that were WoW history, see the struggles of leadership, and really just be Thrall the orc again.

Rehze seems so fun and excited to see where her story goes. Durakā€™s too after his boneheaded adventure, and fun to see that frustrated and impatient attitude they gave him during the heritage quest come back.

I am curious how green some the Barrens are. Is Naralaxā€™s work overgrowing into an environment that naturally is not that green? If so I definitely think its time for the druids to have their environmental disagreements, seeing tauren druids of the plains come out to but heads with the ā€˜everything needs 100ft diameter treesā€™ kinda stereotypical druids.

Last little thing, really enjoyed them introducing some orcish words and culture inbetween it all, along with a little world building like what Bruiseweed can be used for. Its the small things like that which really matter sometimes.

And a quick additional thought

And most of all with the culture, that it shows the orcs as a multifaceted people that struggle with their identity still. That they are not just a ā€˜rawr me smash and blast dakka orkā€™ but really a people with a culture, history, and tradition, even if some of that tradition is particularly dangerous. Theyā€™re also not completely abandoning that very ā€˜only the strong surviveā€™ archetype that they both took up, particularly through their ā€˜blood and honorā€™ and ā€˜victor or deathā€™ attitudes, and has been prescribed to them by the community, often dialing those depictions up. Showing that some dont survive their omā€™gora, especially the Blessing of the Clan, says a lot about them still.

15 Likes

Naralex is doing fine you should be worried about what the Botani did instead.

Pretty sure no genesaurs came with them, I donā€™t think theyā€™re that big of a threat.

The Flowerpicker clan can handle it if it ever becomes an issue.

I found it horrible. Iā€™m honestly tired of all the sugar in these stories. Anduinā€™s short story was far superior and worked on several interesting aspects of the character. In this one seems like the narrative choice was to try to demonstrate how the world of Azeroth is a kind of utopia now. When we all know that Durotar has never been and will never be an exquisite place.

Iā€™m not asking for blood and thunder, but a light adventure telling what Durak did in his fight with the beastm that would have been way more interesting to me. Furthermore, I think itā€™s really bad how they are humanizing orcs and their behaviors at every possible opportunity.

Thrall doesnā€™t look like as an orc father figure at all for me, he looks like a progressive dad from San Francisco, a very caricatured version in fact.

All I could think about the whole time was how anachronistic and distant it was from the idea of ā€‹ā€‹ Horde and orcish culture. Not to mention that all this effort to try to paint Thrall as a wise figure all the time only reveals the authorā€™s superficiality. I would be deeply bored being around Thrall and Aggra for more than 5 minutes, listening to them turn any banal everyday event into some kind of parable or trauma issue.

This is in no way similar to the practical culture of the orcs and especially their stoic spirit that communicates much more through actions than through the words of a motivational coach. People can see something profound in this type of narrative, but for me it only revealed a profound lack of knowledge of all the interesting cultural elements that are associated with orc culture.

6 Likes

That seems the most realistic part.

Dog owners act like every movement their pet makes should be celebrated.

Parents are worse.

They act like every movement their spawn makes has some deep meaning that everyone should care about.

1 Like

I have a dog and I love him. But I donā€™t think every mischief he gets up to means heā€™s the Oracle of Delphi.

2 Likes

My yellow lab was a good girl, rest her soul now that sheā€™s in a better place. She just wanted snacks and some attention. But like we didnā€™t treat her like she was some beacon of knowledge.

She was just a really great loving dog

2 Likes

Eh, I donā€™t really agree with that. Thrall being a worrywart in a generally un-orcish manner makes sense given his backstory and obsession about family. Heā€™s also the archetypical shaman, heā€™s not going to be full zug zug with his kids.

Iā€™m not all that enthralled with his sections either but Iā€™m intrigued to see what becomes of his son, hopefully not being set up to be evil warchief #3 in the expansion after Last Titan.

7 Likes

You played WOD yes? Trust me these folks can cause alot of harm.

You might see an orc warrior posting here and think I just want to see orcs blowing heads off. I think my argument is a little more sophisticated than asking for ā€œzug zugā€ orcs. What I said is that orcish nature and culture has always been better expressed through actions than words.

And orcs generally generate interesting stories, because they are generally inserted into the type of narrative in which Blizzard excels, when the focus is world building and not plots. It is possible for you to know everything about what an orc is thinking from this type of narrative.

And as I said, the excessive focus on Thrallā€™s wisdom is deeply boring, in the end he seems like a messianic coach who only says meaningless platitudes.

Choosing plots in Warcraft is never exciting. I think that this narrative choice that emerged in DF in which the story seems monotonous and the characters are always just talking about their feelings and thoughts is not the type of narrative choice that generates interesting stories. The characters in WOW are not complex enough to support this type of literary choice and the authors are not up to the task.

7 Likes

Well, if the botani in Shadowmoon Valley were any indication, they can potentially grow new genesaurs if enough of them congregate and amass sufficient living energies from their surroundings.

Chronicle Vol. II also showed that when organized in large enough numbers, they can even feasibly create new Sporemounds.

7 Likes