Thoughts on Secret Feedback Forums

This may be an “old thing” but I recently watched a certain WOW Streamer who reacted to a video about some revelations about a secret WOW feedback forum that was being screen shotted and discussed by one of its members, probably under an alias name of course.

This video proved that Blizzard uses a secret feedback forum that has members who are “highly invested in the game”, whatever that means.

It also showed how the feedback on regular forums as well as any feedback that is in anyway insulting is basically ignored.

My first thought was that I understood why Blizzard would ignore feedback that was insulting… duh.

My second thought was wondering who gets these invites to have say so in the game as someone who has more invested than myself as a paying subscriber.

My final thought was one of sadness when it was revealed that even on the secret feedback forums the general mentality of Blizzard is they are going to do what they do and we players should conform to it and be happy. Basically the secret higher end people giving feedback are being ignored as well.

I’m curious to see what the thoughts are on this topic from the majority player base that post here or post on regular beta feedback forums.

How do you feel knowing there is a secret feedback forum that is inaccessible to you as a subscriber and that your feedback is probably being ignored here on the regular forums and maybe even so if you were actually invited to be a secret member?

2 Likes

The forum showed that there was little sway in the devs decisions from the other forum, which was the main problem, that they weren’t being taken seriously, resulting is huge problems going live.

There is nothing wrong with having that forum out of GDs scummy hands.

7 Likes

I don’t care.

Like, at all.

6 Likes

The only people surprised are those that weren’t using their noggin.

3 Likes

^^ I didn’t know it even existed until a couple of days ago.

1 Like

Not surprised. Unaffected entirely.

As it should in the majority of the cases. It is true that 99% of the players in forums have no idea what they are talking about.

Suggestions are not obligated to be acquiesced. People need to learn that sometimes the answer is no.

4 Likes

You know, maybe I’m just old, but this was how video games - hell, just product development in general - worked prior to the internet. Some dudes made something, and if you liked it, you bought it, otherwise you didn’t.

All of this attempted mediation on the part of the consumer disguised as “feedback”… jeez, I’d ignore it all, too.

9 Likes

I didn’t know it existed but assumed that it did.

Now that I know about it for sure, I am as indifferent as ever.

I don’t really care where Blizzard chooses to get their feedback from. I only care that they remain receptive and what feedback they do embrace improves the overall quality of the game.

2 Likes

Don’t care. Developers listening to high skill/pro players is pretty common.

2 Likes

I would have been shocked to learn if there wasn’t an invite only feedback forum…

I’m curious if all these people so upset and hurting over the super secret forums even know what they’re upset and hurt about. What if the feedback was something dumb like “remove Priest from the game”? I’m going extreme with the example but my question still stands. What feedback, specifically, are you upset about them ignoring?

“This is a problem and needs to be fixed and here’s data showing why and how”.

“No, it’s working as intended”.

Then they spend the first major patches trying to fix the broken system that went live.

1 Like

“We hear your feedback, but disagree” is not the same thing as “We are ignoring you.”

1 Like

No one is claiming Blizzard Devs are perfect, but people acting like if they don’t do exactly as they’re told then they are just being spiteful?

Absolutely absurd.

1 Like

GC seems to have been the brain child behind these forums. It lead to some really good tuning and design for classes in MoP and WoD. Then they stopped listening.

Blizzard wouldn’t have invited them if they didn’t initially value their feedback and testing.

A lot of the things they’ve released lately have had a lot of negative feedback and extensive testing and they ship it anyway.

They’re not asking for Blizzard to, “do what they’re told”. They’re asking for Blizzard to stop being so arrogant and actually use the data provided.

2 Likes

So you’re saying that all their feedback is gold? They’re never wrong?

Edit: Just wanted to clarify… I’m not shilling for Blizzard. They might have ignored good feedback. The point I’m making is I’m not going to clutch my pearls and fan my vapors until I know what it is to panic about. So far you and the OP have just said vague things.

I would argue the forums in particular have a sort of availability bias.

Few players who are happy with the game are going to bother to log in to the fourms and say, “I’m enjoying things!”

On the other end, players who are frustrated are much more likely to log in to the forums to voice their frustration.

Am I saying that I think the game is perfect? Absolutely not. There are lots of design decisions I disagree with. I also realize that I can just play another game if I hate it so much, the devs are free to pursue whatever design decisions they prefer, and that on the net whole WoW is enjoyable. People on the forums catastrophize to a crazy extent.

3 Likes

That still does not address people acting like they are doing it out of spite.

That makes zero sense.

Not even just the forums. That is life in general. People unhappy are far more likely to complain than those who are happy are to praise.

For good or for ill, that is human nature.

2 Likes