Thoughts on MoP compared to BFA?

~https://twitter.com/holinka/status/1239420336459771905?s=21~

I’ve always felt the reason people liked MoP was the feel of a fully fleshed out toolkit + most specs were viable and class diversity was high.

I do remember cc chain length complaints from mop but I personally started in s15 and feels like the games gotten progressively worse every season since then due to pruning.

What about you guys?

22 Likes

Mop was not liked much either but that’s because it was coming off of WOTLK really. Cata was pretty hated, but everyone assumed feedback would bring the game back to mop, and it didn’t. So people were annoyed with mop for sure.

But in comparison:

Wotlk - 10
Cata - 5
Mop - 7
Wod - 4
Legion - 4
Bfa - 1

So obviously people would point towards mop as a great time for pvp.

Blizzard devs trolling as usual

14 Likes

What about tbc? Also, saying BFA is a one means that its utter dogredacted and giving wotlk a 10 means it’s absolutely perfect. Even ignoring the fact i think wow was never perfect, do you really think that BFA is a one? If so that means its just absolutely terrible, nothing to enjoy, just utter trash.Why would you level a character and play something that’s so garbage if you hate it so much.

3 Likes

specs felt more fun to play in mop, more utility heavy

I also liked the vibe of mop a lot (vibrant colors) though I’m a minority feeling that way

biggest difference for me is that the path from freshly dinged character to fully decked gear was very clear without massive pointless but mandatory grinds and 100% in a players’ control
just do bgs and arenas, get honor and conquest gear with ideal stats, do some gemming/enchanting/reforging, voila you’re done

not the endless slog as it is now

if i’d have to describe the difference in more general terms, mop felt like it was created by a company trying to make a fun game. bfa is created by a company trying to milk numbers.

40 Likes

Well, the scale doesn’t have to go from no PvP to some theoretical/imaginary perfect PvP.

The scale can go from worst PvP expansion to best PvP expansion.

And yes, BFA is the worst.

At this point, if they want to make PvP even worse than BFA PvP, they’ll have to start gating bis PvP gear behind pet battles, cooking, fishing, and archaeology. And further increase the way RNG procs decide the outcome of battles.

4 Likes

All I know is in MoP I played MM and if a Frost Mage wasn’t getting spam healed or blocking during my CD’s they’d die in about 5 seconds. Let’s get back to that. Danke.

edit: oh and I could wear full PvP gear I bought from a vendor and never had to do any PvE and played like 8 alts who were all fully geared.

18 Likes

Just curious what you’re basing your ranking off of? Just PvP or the game as a whole?

saying it’s the worst is fine. Saying it’s a one means it’s the lowest of the low and is just terrible. If you actually think that the pvp rn is the worst then idk what to tell you besides the fact you’re trippin.

I love your sense of humor.

7 Likes

:thinking:

Clearly, an agent of N’Zoth…

6 Likes

BFA has the worse PvP on par with Classic. No one is tripping.

9 Likes

In MoP classes felt super overpowered. There were tools that existed that I felt were way too high impact that should have been removed (stuff like instant Wyvern for hunters, Gateway for warlocks, Symbiosis for druids was cool but man was that really broken with mages, every melee have a 30 second cd ranged stun instead of keeping their unique tools). We kinda went in a direction post MoP that actually removed the lower impact spells and in some ways kept these ultra powerful ones. One thing that is really nice though in retrospect is that it’s actually fun to play a character that feels overpowered, which every class felt like in MoP.

MoP definitely had it’s problems. With BfA I feel it’s a complete opposite extreme. It’s actually existed since WoD. Even the strongest specs feel really weak, which is why you’ll see people complaining so much even playing a class like mage or warlock for example. Things like gearing is really unenjoyable now too and it makes it difficult to get into PvP. We have all these other outlets for player power in BfA, instead of just our characters being good. Comparing this to MoP where just playing your character felt amazing, and gearing+jumping into PvP was quite simple. I came back in 5.4 (S14/S15) of MoP and I personally felt it was really simple to jump into the game and get back into it. I can’t imagine that happening to anyone now in the way that I did. There are far too many obstacles BEFORE you can even begin learning the PvP game again.

MoP had it’s issues and it’s important not to forget them. There were very specific things that were just too high impact for each class. People mentioned these as things that should have been pruned. Unfortunately, I think the feedback wasn’t really clear and what happened was the lower impact abilities were the things that got pruned while the abilities that felt almost like ultimates are what stayed. This might have been an attempt to let characters still feel overpowered, yet somehow this actually made people feel really weak.

I prefer everyone feeling OP (and being balanced around that) than everyone being really weak and balanced in that way. I think it just makes the game more fun and can motivate you to play better over complaining too psychologically, which gives more replay value. When you feel really overpowered you’re more willing to blame yourself and put effort into improving, but if your character feels super weak even if it’s one of the best you’re more likely to just give up without trying and this will be worse for newer players.

21 Likes

This is my person ideation on the list. Also known as my opinion.

Currently pvp is the worst it has ever been in my opinion. I have NEVER seen a tournament where a player literally stacks 600 corruption and 1 shots a player in 10 seconds.

No vendors
No residuum from pvp chest
Bgs are irrelevant completely

Wotlk being a 10 stems from seeing the videos and players being rewarded for insane gameplay and outplay potential, etc.

Again, my opinion

Edit*

Technically wotlk could be dropped to an 8.5/9, there was silly stuff if you were a giga pver and got shadowmourne like Klinda.

8 Likes

Besides the cc chaining durational issues, MoP imo was a well refined and polished expansion. PvP gearing system was properly executed, class design was near sublime, and more importantly the game felt balanced/well-paced/fun after s12. The game has gotten progressively worse after MoP, but you know BFA is subpar to MoP in every category. Its not even a question at this point.

Nothing about this current expansion feels unique, rewarding, or satisfying (let alone the feeling of any gratification from character progression). From my perspective LOTs of things fell apart after MoP. A few being the leveling/progression of a character, twinking, the enthusiasm behind queueing for BGs (both low levels and max level), WPvP, and itemization.

I think this goes hand in hand to the idea of every class feeling very powerful back then too. And imo this was kind of what made MoP a thoroughly enjoyable expansion especially towards the end (s14 and 15). Every class was busted in its own way. Although the meta slowly shifted towards some of the favorable classes, the overall spectrum of class representation felt diverse and balanced.

7 Likes

Good post. Very accurate. Bring back alter time so I can alter karma and explode a monk

1 Like

In S7/S8 (WOTLK) I legitimately felt like 40-50 comps were viable. Granted this is probably partially a result of dumb things like various double healer comps working. It’s probably also a result of players just not being as good and great players on a class standing out more from average players on that class.

MoP just gave each class an insane toolkit. More than just an insane toolkit though, it also brought NEW mechanics into the game. As a mage frost bomb was a completely new playstyle. Alter time was new. Fire getting deep was new. Icicles were new. Shattering living bomb was new. One major flaw that BFA doesn’t get docked for enough is that it simply didn’t raise the skillcap at all because it added almost nothing new from Legion, which left a lot of players feeling like they’d already (mostly) mastered their class to 80-90% of its capacity.

I remember a MoP 5v5 1v1 tourny where a mage friend of mine who was 2920ish 5v1’d the entire other team, and most of those players were 2.2-2.3k CR. I just simply can’t imagine something like that happening now.

3 Likes

I quit during MoP, Stampede bug at the start ruined it for me. I came back during the last season, but still didn’t enjoy it.

Was added in cata and was def not new

Edit: being an idiot and confusing pre patch with 4.3.

Unless I’m crazy & Wowpedia is also wrong, AT was added in MoP. Cata was impact stun, huge combusts with fire, etc.

1 Like

I’m psure Alter Time was an exclusive MoP ability. Don’t recall seeing it in any other xpac.