Those who just want the Lore to be respected

Hey! Just because I know the lore and at one time cared for it deeply doesn’t mean I won’t insult you. I insult everyone.

2 Likes

People who want the lore to be respected should have all quit in Shadowlands.

4 Likes

Sorry, but you are never civil.

14 Likes

Ok dude.

I wanna be very genuine with you right now. I know how [redacted] this must feel.

I 100% understand the issue people have with the removal of class restrictions. I understand being so invested in a world that you learn to appreciate the lore-friendly limitations.

I also understand the people asking for a compromise. Let any race be any class, but at least let them start in appropriate cities. A Blood Elf Druid should be getting trained in Thunder Bluff by the Tauren. A Night Elf Warlock should start in Northshire among like-minded humans. Personally, this is what I would suggest if I were still invested in WoW’s worldbuilding.

But here’s the problem:

I am no longer invested in WoW’s worldbuilding. Neither are the writers. At least, not whatever version of WoW you got so attached to over the years.

We all have different opinions on when this happened (TBC? WoD? Chronicles Retconing the magic system? Shadowlands?) but many of us have come to the same general conclusion: WoW’s story fell off a cliff. It’s over. We’re doing fun fanfiction now.

Everything, down to the most fundamental lore of the cosmic forces of the universe, can and will yield to game design and the whims of the current writers. Best we can hope for are some good adventures, maybe some decent characters here and there. But, as a universe, Warcraft is broken.

So you have two options, my friend: you can play vanilla, where the lore is solidly established, but lacks modern amenities and many races,

OR

You can embrace the madness. Make modern WoW the way you want it to be in your own headcanon. This is an RPG. We’re all capable of using our imagination. I know that’s not the best compromise, but it’s where we are at this point.

8 Likes

it fits the lore fine. you’re just thinking of the wrong lore:

Long ago, at the founding of activision blizzard, a select group of individuals were given extraordinary power and bestowed with the name “shareholder.” To these shareholders AB executives pledged their loyalty.

In the modern era, AB has begun to struggle with WoW subscription numbers, unable to bring in new players. To appease the shareholders, AB must look to wring as much cash out of existing players as possible. One day an ambitious executive determined that some of the more popular classes aren’t playable on some of the more popular races. Clearly this was an opportunity for micros-transactional growth! etc…

3 Likes

While a lot of WoW’s lore is wishy-washy on multiple things, I figure even if Blizzard doesn’t give a good explanation, that will open it up for roleplayers to figure it out; we’re pretty good at coming up with some unique ideas.

Like the time I met someone who was a Void Elf Monk; they implemented the use of darkness as a type of meditation; without darkness, light would burn too brightly, darkness brings light’s hubris down and keeps it humble.

So I’m sure we’re smart enough to figure things out and work around it.

1 Like

I really don’t want to generalize too much, but it does appear to me that the “all races all classes” aka race homogenization crowd have been pretty nasty about all this. I don’t really understand why.

12 Likes

This makes me very sad… :cry:

13 Likes

Because people who disagree with these changes come to the forums with melodrama and hyperbole and expect… what? You came for a reaction, you got a reaction. Sorry if it wasn’t the one you were looking for.

Consider that the nonstop whining about this, that, and the other thing, has an effect on other players. Some people are sick of seeing it. Simple as that.

7 Likes

No they haven’t. People disagreeing with you with jokes isn’t being nasty. Yeah, you made a thread about how you’re going to unsub over warlock races, yet expected the WoW forums not to flame you for such a childish decision.

9 Likes

It makes me sad too, my friend.

For me, it happened when Chronicles came out. I know a lot of people love that book, but for me it just erased core tenets of Warcraft’s universe that made it unique, replacing it with this rigid, inconsistent cosmic force system that is directly inconsistent with in-game content that came before it.

My main was an arcane draenei mage. Back in the day, arcane was pure magic from the Twisting Nether, and pure magic is both corruptive and addictive. But instead embracing the raw chaos like warlocks do, mages apply logic to the illogical. I loved the idea of playing a Draenei who has mastered the very magic his demonic kin failed to control.

It tied deeply into his character, and into my perception of the Draenei as a whole. I was fascinated by their love for arcane magic. It formed a fascinating duality within their culture. They love the Light, but they’re still drawn to the forces of the Nether that originally tempted them. But they’ve mastered that temptation and have become some of the greatest mages in the cosmos. This was so core to the love I had for the Draenei. And I loved my Draenei mage.

Then Chronicles came out and both overcomplicated and oversimplified the magic system. Now Arcane is a force of Order, and fel magic is its polar opposite.

Even though it was Arcane magic that ruined the Netherstorm. Even though it was arcane magic that drew the Legion to Azeroth. Even though Archimonde himself referred to Dalaran as “stealing our fire” (referring to how arcane and fel magic are one in the same and how the mages, in Archimonde’s mind, were abusing the Nether’s gifts). Even though, right now you can fight an arcane wraith boss named “anomalous” who literally shouts “CHAOS!”.

No. Arcane is order now. Get wrecked little Draenei. You were never mastering your people’s greatest flaw. You never proved your superiority to your Man’ari kin. You spent 10,000 years doing jack all.

So I quit World of Warcraft.

Now I’m back, and I’m not letting Blizzard ruin the story for me anymore. I’m done with it. I’m RPing in my own silly fanfiction universe now, and I’m never looking back XD

2 Likes

Void Elves exist in lore, yes.

Some people only care about their own immersion. Not mentioning names.

I think it is very unimmersive to have all these races staying exactly the same, never changing or growing.

So many of these races have made advances in technology, science, education, magic, etc. It would be so silly for these races not to learn from each other and make their lives easier. The world changes when cultures interact with each other. Maybe radical change doesn’t happen after 20 years, but it does change.

7 Likes

I knew it was just a matter of time until the tribalism threads started. “Lore fans” but you’re a void elf without blue skin.

K.

5 Likes

Now do Sir Zeliek and Forsaken Disc/Holy Priests. Still waiting on those.

Also this would be lore breaking as much as Lightforged Draenei being warlocks, yet we have Lothraxion.

Yall ain’t much of lore fans tbh since only now yall are complaining about stuff that doesn’t make sense.

i am the biggest lore nerd of the WC universe and still see fit to belittle the whining yall have been doing, all 3 of you.

1 Like

Well, they have no standing as they are “I don’t know nor care. Just flip the switch.”

1 Like

You are not required to accept them, you don’t have to play them.

4 Likes

Where is this shown in game?

Players don’t want to only be told, they want to actually see it happen.

It’s like going to fight Arthas but when you get to Icecrown it fades to black then you’re told that an epic battle occured and everything is taken care of off-screen.

1 Like

Tbf that’s actually how everything happened pre-lfr if you didn’t raid; so yes that’s how most people experienced the fall of the lich king.

2 Likes

That is correct! On top of that there has to come a time were lore has to catch up to the modern time of Azeroth as we are currently in WoW. With that said I believe they can expand the lore without reconning everything to suit the current story.

As a famous orc once said “things change”

1 Like