Thorim problem

“reduces the chance you’ll be critically hit by melee attacks by 6%”

Not crit immunity.

Let’s see your logs, feel free to come over and tell the discord they’re wrong.

1 Like

This is actually not true, as I thought the same thing. I tried to solo tank HM Thorim, and got crit for about 18k after balancing strike, in game combat log and WC logs confirmed it was a crit.

1 Like

Then did this tank just get lucky?

https ://classic. warcraftlogs. com/reports/TRNDqhBCnyXm3bHv#fight=4&type=damage&hostility=1&ability=1

Pally gets crit 12% of the time, Bear never gets crit.

Put it in between ` and you don’t need to use the extra spaces

https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/reports/TRNDqhBCnyXm3bHv#fight=4&type=damage&hostility=1&ability=11

As to the not getting crit: Look at when the pally taunts. They were tank swapping after unbalancing. Bear wasn’t tanking with the debuff.

1 Like

Yep, they were tank swapping, soon after unbalancing strike. The druid was slower to taunt than the pally was, which resulted in the pally taking a crit, and the druid not taking a crit.

Needs an immediate nerf.

Never heal you are bad

Also want to add that having 400 defense rating + 6% non crit from talents makes you immune to crit from level 83 mobs, however, 200 defense raiting + 6% non crittable does not. You’re essentially a really geared level 40 at that point.

Edit: Just asked the druid discord. With zero additional defense rating (from gear) and zero resilience, a druid has a 6.8% to be crit by Thorim with unbalancing strike debuff. You can use resil gear to maintain uncrittable, however.

Exactly. If the druid was a bit faster the pally wouldn’t have gotten crit either, but expecting to catch every taunt in between melees (especially with stacks going up) is unreasonable. On top of that, when he goes taunt immune, unless the pally bubbles him over or the bear already has him, that next unbalance cycle is going to one tank.

Or the druid could get some resil gear, the pally could go ret (lol), and they could one tank him from the get go.

Just to clarify on the debuff: Unbalancing is 200 defense SKILL.

*This is all if I’m remembering the numbers right"

For a prot pally - it’s like 4.something defense rating = 1 defense skill

so unbalancing is actually equivalent to 800+ defense rating lost for a pally.

YUP! Even have a calculator for it!

1 Like

no… you!

Flash of light was so vanilla. It’s a worthless spell for tank healing.

https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/reports/9VYT4rjJmK8n6zZa#fight=9&type=healing

So worthless that the #1 healing parse on Vezax is almost entirely FoL spam lol

Yes, it’s only one boss. Still not worthless!

he was also raid healing which is a massive waste of a paladin

The tanks need to insta taunt when they get the unbalanced strike and on the 4th one he becomes un-tauntable for 5secs. Tank needs to have a CD ready to reduce the damage and your healers just have to heal it

thanks for the break down. i will pass it on.

No they are not. Unbalancing Strike increases your chance of being critically hit by [ 200 * 0.04 ] 8%. Chance of being critically struck by a mob is base 5% + [ 0.04% per point of difference between weapon skill and defense (15) ] and so a boss with level 83 has 5.6% chance of critically striking. Unbalancing strike increases that by 8%, meaning a druid has 7.6% of being crit (with no extra defense or resistance) after Unbalancing Strike.

You’re arguing with a dude named Sephiroth.

Chances are he still thinks you’re all wrong.

Problem with 1-tanking him from the get go is that you need 2 tanks for P1.

I played my Druid as the crit immune setup for this fight, and I just tanked the middle stacks, say 4-8ish, solo with minor cooldowns. Then we started tank swapping with major cooldowns after that point because Thorim can wreck tanks with high stacks even if he doesn’t crit.

Any DK, ret, warrior or shaman with a shield could tank P1 really though

1 Like

Yeah, when we were discussing a Thorim HM strat it occurred to me to check if Bears could still be uncrittable thanks to SotF. So I pulled up a log (posted above) and saw that the Bear never got crit and thought “alright, theory confirmed!” and never looked into it deeper. Turns out I just picked a bad log to look at because the Pally was Taunting instantly so the Bear never got hit while debuffed. I looked up several more logs after that and discovered that, indeed, Bears are still crittable after US.

The main problem is not being crittable tbh.
Its just the raw dmg of Unbalancing (which is an unavoidable style that can not be dodged/parried/missed) + a direct follow up from auto attack, that goes over the tanks HP threshhold, and cant be healed.
This is why tanks need self/external CD´s after a few stacks.
We start our CD rotation at 6-7 stacks, but we use a 228 ilvl protpally and a 227 ilvl blood dk.
Theres no reason to not start the CD rotation earlyer if possible, just makes the fight easyer.

Pallys are insane good for this fight, every pally outside of the tank can combo Divine shield + hand of sac on tank + raid sac to provide an additional shield wall CD.

Disc can obviously use Pain Depression.

Assuming you have 2 tanks, 2 pallys that are not tanks, and 1 disc, you should have at least 5 available CDs for the tank. A tank dying near the end from UB can be considered another “CD”, and if your dps is not pumping or people die from bolts, theres no shame to cheese him to death.