This is why the old models look better

The old models look better even though they’re technically “worse”.

These videos will indirectly explain why the old graphics are actually better even though they’re clearly worse.

What it really boils down too is this… The lack of definition in the old graphics makes them look more realistic because your mind fills in the gaps.

4 Likes

Do you care to point out where in the videos it actually says that? Cause if you think I’m going to watch half an hour of dudes sitting on a couch just to respond to a Classic forum post, you’ve got another thing coming.

Of the parts I did watch, the top video was about the challenge of making a computer-generated human being look photorealistic. An incredibly difficult and complex task that has absolutely nothing to do with what Blizzard is trying to achieve with WoW’s art style and character models. The bottom video, at least the first couple of minutes, was the dudes gushing about how great Thanos looks, in part because of how much detail went into his creation. Which again, doesn’t really support your point.

5 Likes

The videos are not directly related to WoW at all, they’re educational regarding why certain things look good or bad.

This applies to character models in video games.

Explain how. Those videos are discussing VFX work in movies. Where exactly do they relate to video game character art?

1 Like

No. They look worse.

Are you going to seriously sit there and tell me the first version of Laura Croft, which was a low poly blocky mess, from Tomb Raider is better than later games?

4 Likes

Better or worse is completely subjective here. Both modern and Classic are going for the Warcraft art style.

While I have no complaints with how the game originally looked (it looks great in the beta right now!), I prefer the look of my modern Mag’har orc over my Classic orc.

/shrug

It has to do with how the lighting and clarity of an image looks great if the quality of the lighting and the model are great…

Unfortunately when things are not perfect they start to look really bad, and that’s the problem with the modern WoW models, they look bad because they’re too well defined.

As a result the mind plays a big role in rendering the old models for you because they have lower detail and so your brain actually fixes their imperfections.

The quality of the original model animations is also better for this same reason.

That’s a different problem, unfortunately not everyone likes the same styles of art and you’re right that’s 100% subjective.

That’s a very different game on literally 2 different game engines, that’s not a comparable situation at all.

The thing about Modern WoW vs Classic WoW is that they’re on the same engine all be it updated vs bone stock (original vanilla)

Point is, your brain does a lot to animate things that you may not technically see.

There are some really interesting videos on that subject, I will see if I can find them.

so it isn’t up to me to determine what looks better to me, I am supposed to wait for someone to tell me ? dang…

Now , I will say some older graphics have a certain charm, but one day we won’t even have live actors, first to go will be stunt men, then everyone else.

holodecks baby!

1 Like

What you are talking about is called the uncanny valley, and modern wow models are no where near it. They look miles better than the old models.

2 Likes

the MoP behind the scenes talks a bit about updating the skeletons and the limitations of the old ones.

I hate hyper-realism. Recently wow has tried to imitate realism and it looks awful. You can’t tell what anything is and it looks all grainy everywhere.

Classic wow texturing with slightly better rendering is the best. Simplicity.

3 Likes

Yes that’s the nomenclature they used in the video. (not my area of expertise) I am just trying to understand why the modern models look strange for some reason…

While the old models (while not technically better) are freaking great.

Perhaps it has to something to do with the resolution you play the game at? I have the graphics flat maxed out when I was playing BFA, perhaps if I turn them down to 1080P they would look better?

I don’t actually know because I don’t play BFA any more.

In terms of technology, it’s impossible for the older models to look better than the new models. Outside of technology, it’s an entirely subjective argument to assert that the older models look better than the new models. Regardless, the community should have an option to play with older models. (Personally, due to this nonsensical argument, I would have preferred Classic: Remastered over Classic).

2 Likes

It is directly comparable. It is a character model that increased in complexity over time. A low poly simpler character increased into a higher poly more defined character.

You’re trying to pick nuance on aspects that don’t matter like the game engine or the game itself. LOL.

I thought you were talking about how old character models look better. Guess not when we can show otherwise.

You realize that there is some 50 years of graphic improvements in video games.

While older games are nostalgic and have their own flair, 8 bit Block Mario isn’t as “good” as his model in, say Mariokart or Melee.

I’m just glad my favorite female night elf face will be back.

3 Likes

You and I are actually talking about two different things. You’re focused on the still image component of the character models and how high quality they are… I am not, the concept I am talking about how high detail does not always make things look better.

I was talking about how the modern models because of their improved textures, more modern style lighting and over animated expressions look fake and mess with your brain making you feel that they’re fake, as a result look worse, even though they’re technically better.

Where as the original models with their minimalist yet well done animations and lower resolution textures and “Vanilla” lighting actually look better because they’re not easy to see, and because they’re a little bit blurry no matter how high you go with the resolution your brain does the job of final rendering making them actually appear to the viewer as more realistic.

I think it looks better because all the faces are not as samey as it is in um… live? Retail? What do we call it now?

I wouldn’t mind having a toggle, I know some people hate the idea but client side options would be aweshum~

Not sure actually why toggle was removed.

What we do know is that it worked in WoD was broken in Legion, and removed in BFA.

I doubt Blizzard will provide that option ever again because of the various reasons promoted as to why it was removed entirely.