Thinking of switching from Venth to Kyrian: Prot Pally

Hey folks. My main has been Venthyr since week 2. I originally changed to it (from Necro…shudder) to be a bit different from the rest of the pack. I really like the vibe of the covenant as well as the ashen hollow nuke. Been running 15s and we’re 9/10 on heroic raiding.

But…recently I’ve been feeling like something is lacking. Door of shadows is essentially a dead spell. Other than looking cool as you beam across something…it’s never ever used. Ashen Hollow is pretty amazing (visually as well), but the cooldown is super long. From looking at the logs, it’s also not as good as I thought. The healing aspect is mostly wasted (something like 75% overheal). The damage only comes out to be about 3-4% of the total run (60-65k). When you do the math, that’s about 150 dps or so on my 3k average. Not spectacular.

I’m wondering about the soulbinds as well. Draven, on paper, is the best tank spec…but in M+ you move way to much to take full advantage of stand your ground. And our heroic Sire attempt last night…man that fight has you moving constantly…so I think it’s pretty low uptime. I thought about switching to Nadjia, for the damage, but then…why not just switch to Kyrian?

Kyrian seems to have a much more useful array: divine toll on 60s cooldown, phial, and Pelagos looks really strong. I can’t tell you how many times a Phial would have been useful last night…especially on the attempt where we got him to 2%…

Anyone else have this dilemma? Make the switch? How’d it go for you?

I actually just switched from kyrian to venth today lol mainly because as hpal looking for 20 keys I didn’t get invited as kyrian. I will make it work for prot but I play holy and prot equally.

Kyrian is a great choice honestly and is really strong I think both are strong in different aspects

That’s pretty funny; we balanced each other out.

I’ll miss ashen hollow, but I’m renown 6 already after 30 mins. Lost 9000 anima tho…that’s gonna leave a mark.

I 90% run with guildies, so no worries for me on rejection. I just wanna be better for the team. I felt like Venthyr was holding me back

Lol I can’t speak on raids too much as far as holding your team back. But for m+ Either of them can work pretty well

I switched from Venthyr to Kyrian. I find Divine Toll great for Mythic Plus-focused Protection Paladins. The short CD makes it very easy to pull and group large pulls for nuking.

1 Like

This week on why Pugs ask for things without knowing why they are taken.

In all the pugs I’ve done in the 20+ range, no Tank has pulled around Ashen correctly and drag it out as they go to kite. I’d argue in a Pug settings Kyrian is far superior and probably has a higher chance over timing keys outside of co-ordinated groups.

But Pug ask for things without knowing why all the time, saw a group in LFG look for Venth Hpal for a 15, in a 15 Ashen isn’t even that good.

2 Likes

I agree with this 100% lol pugs ask for things because they see top streamers play it and play it well. They don’t care to pay attention to the coordination it takes to play well though

2 Likes

Even in my coordinated guild groups, Ashen gets wasted as mobs move or we have to kite or someother thing messes it up

Update: made the switch. First time I popped Divine toll in a group of 5 enemies…I was in love

1 Like

Yeah prot is better as Kyrian. I’d argue so is hpal but the perception of Venthyr being better is out there no matter how much Ellesmere yells about how it was for raid and how he hates it in keys.

1 Like

Unless they changed it, you coulda bought a bunch of covenant armor with the anima and vendor it after the switch for the refund.

1 Like

Dammit…too late now

1 Like

I am a topped out renown and soulbinds in Venthyr because in the begining it was a strong fit. Now with the changes on the last patch, Ret pally would probably be better as a Kyrian (which is what I wanted in the 1st place). My questions is I put a lot of dam time to get maxed out. Will I completely have to start over? I am maxed on rep with All current factions etc. Seems like alot of miss info out there and nothing totally clear on subject. I have never switched coventents before with this toon. But its hard just drop everything when maxed out and start ALL over!

You get about 15-18 renown a week, in catch-up. My paladin who switched 2 resets ago is 30, and this character is…18 I think?

I switched on Tuesday. Make the jump, it’s not that bad.

Make sure you take your anima, like it says above!

Reputation isn’t touched, only the covanenet specific stuff. You even keep your neutral followers and the level they are at

The damage overall isn’t what’s important. The 4 min CD makes it available for almost every boss in some keys which is why it’s so good

From my experience now (2 weeks) w Kyrian, I don’t see ever going back. Phial has saved many a run, in a crucial spot and the dps is just about the same overall.

Sustain seems way better