Thinking about a new PC soon

My computer is getting kind of old. Last night i had to disable a bunch of startup processes because the thing would just freeze up midway through loading everything. Was watching the CPU just reach its limit as the computer started up.

While playing wow the usage would fluctuate a lot between 100% and like 40%

The rig is about 6 years old and i built it myself, with help from this forum.

It’s got:
I5 6600k (clocked to 4.4ghz from 3.5)
GTX 1070
1TB hybrid drive
500gb SSD (sata, looking to move this over)

It’s not bad, and it’s been serving me well, but it’s also starting to slow down a bit, and i feel like i should take the warning shots as a sign to look into the market and see what i could replace it with should she fail on me.

I’m not looking to build my own again. It stresses me out, and if i need to replace the CPU, that also comes with replacing the motherboard and the RAM, and i was also thinking of replacing the GPU for something more modern anyway.

Not looking for anything bananas, and not looking to spend 2 grand. Probably don’t need a 3080 in it. A 3070 or a 3060 TI will suffice more than fine.

I also have a montior at 144hz that i like to take advantage of, but won’t be heart broken if i can’t get 144fps in every title on high graphics.

Well, you have a few options.

Get one of the new Intel CPUs that just came out or wait until AMD launches their new lineup next year. If you’re trying to get the top-end 12/16 core CPUs than they’re usually out of stock.

Either way the GPU is going to be the single biggest hassle. At minimum you’re looking at paying at least 50-100%+ over MSRP. I had to camp on a Discord that announces inventory restocks and it took me about 2 weeks to finally snag a 3060 Ti. I still had to pay like $100 over MSRP.

This is why i’m looking to just buy a prebuilt machine. I don’t feel like camping out for the best price per part.

Also i have just a lot of trouble attaching things to the motherboard and the power supply. Insides of cases are small and my hands are not.

I don’t remember where the good places to shop around are, it’s been a while.

They’re still going to ream you for the cost of the GPU either way and claim its an upcharge.

I would check Amazon or Newegg.

Also, I have a strong preference for caes that have fan filters you can easily remove. It cuts down dust accumulation inside the case by a lot especially if you use liquid cooling.

Cyber Power is a reputable site. A friend of mine bought a computer from them within the past year and he’s been really happy.

Also, Best Buy has some pretty good gaming systems. Good thing about them is you have a physical store to go to, should you run into any trouble.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-supreme-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-5800x-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-1tb-ssd-white/6479753.p?skuId=6479753

In-stock too.

There’s also this for $600 less
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-tracemr-gaming-desktop-intel-i7-11700f-16gb-memory-nvidia-rtx-3060ti-8gb-480gb-ssd-1tb-hdd/6483421.p?skuId=6483421

I had good luck with my NZXT prebuild.

1 Like

i checked out the cyberpower site…. customizations up the yinyang!

get one thats not black white nor silver, thats how you know its serious.
(jk) good luck w/ it