They officially screwed my class up

Not having ice nova is so aids in 2s. Watching a rogue go restealth and being helpless because you have to have ring for rdruid is so f dumb… What are they thinking?

I guess we do no DB and take super nova? LOL. They can easily kick arcane though, when you super nova for poly. Also, getting locked on poly, you can’t supernova. Yikes.

You can’t do @arena1 with supernova either… can if you /focus arena 1 first. But, lots of bugs, when a player whose wow is running in non english mode: russian, china, tries to open trade; it causes a 3minute DC that says this character already exists. This is the most buggy prepatch I have ever seen. Not counting all the bad mage changes. The solution is simple, make mass poly and ice nova a choice node.

Just gonna leave this here: Feedback: Mages - #464 by Ttvfungames-proudmoore

2 Likes

It’s annoying that you have to choose between Ice nova and Ring of Frost, yes.

3 Likes

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/show-this-to-your-frost-pvp-developers-if-you-even-have-any-patch-is-still-in-beta/1899457

Fundementally a bad change. It’s more than annoying bro. It’s bad enough to quit the game and never play until they make some changes. At least in dragonflight they were making changes even before the season came out and even when the game was in beta they were giving feedback on twitter and communicating with the PvP player base. We’ve seen none of that this expansion. Lol. Jesus christ. I bet its going to take 3 seasons before they fix our mage trees :'(. This is worse than not having frostbolt damage. Not having damage is livable. Mind you, they started buffing frostbolt damage in season 1 and continued with that trend all the way up to season 3. Not having core functionality of your class that is needed for goes and surviving is not livable at all. They’ve not even commented on how bad the trees are or what we want changed. In Dragonflight beta, there were dozens of tweet replies directly to PvPers from blizzard, to make sure they were getting the changes right.

The changes they can implement are simple too! : Feedback: Mages - #464 by Ttvfungames-proudmoore

Meanwhile other classes kept their full toolkit?

3 Likes

It’s more like Frost mages are being brought in-line.

Mages have always just been outright better than pretty much every other class in PvP - they have more than can do at the same time than multiple other classes combined. Long term, it’s just too much.

It’s a nerf, and it feels bad - I just started playing frost a short while ago, and was kind of gobsmacked at how big the toolkit was. It’s necessary for the game though - mages are too good, and needed correction. Too much is too much.

3 Likes

This is not being brought in-line. This is cancel subscription, never play wow again status. Not having DB sounds really aids though.

1 Like

Having Ice Nova and Ring of Frost is too much? For for frost Ice Nova is not the same thing for arcane and fire.

Blizzard is treating it as they were both CC spells, when Ice Nova is used to shatter, so a rotational dps spell. On the other hand, it’s an on-demand root since we lost pet nova out of Icy Veins.

Ring of Frost should be a choice node with mass poly.

Ice Nova had no business being in the class tree to begin with, not when it has rotational significance for Frost. It should have been in the Frost spec tree. But since all the other CC spells like Blast Wave, Dragon’s Breath, and Supernova are all in the class tree they decided to leave Ice Nova in there as well just for the sake of continuity.

The underlying problem here is that the artificial divide between class and spec trees creates these conflicts and there is no way around it without overhauling the entire talent system yet again. On top of that outdated and clunky mechanics like Shatter (as well as Fire’s Hot Steak and Arcane’s mana management for that matter) only exacerbate these problems. But then it’s a 20 yo game, you move one thing around and 5 more fall out of place, it is what it is. /shrug

It should be in the frost tree! correct.

Oh yea, bro. This Arcane Mage had 56 spellsteals and 36 seconds of power infusion. I had 0 seconds of power infusion. I had a priest on my team and he did not. I only had 8 spellsteals :joy: because I went oom. Balanced… Lol.

1 Like

So Idk what they did exactly, but even though the rotation is the same the dmg isn’t. Things aren’t critting the way they’re supposed to and it feels like they really took the wind out of our sales. The opening rotations feel really lackluster in ramping dmg. I’m hearing this for all mage specs after the pre-patch and I play in beyond casual high-end content.

I flat out do not agree we were overpowered in any way. We are wearing cloth… We are supposed to be glass cannons. A really good Mage that knows how to use their class correctly should be pumping as much if not more than a lot of classes and rightfully so. If we take one hit we’re in the ground. Sorry, if you don’t want to pump out huge dmg with chance of death at every turn then maybe mage wasn’t the right class to pick

2 Likes

What are you talking about, nobody ever considered mage S tier for the whole xpac in PvP.

2 Likes

:joy:
/10char

1 Like

I’ve found that most people that contradict me or call me crazy, really do not understand the game at all. They certainly do not understand Frostbolt spec. I’ve been harassed at least 5 times on every thread I make. It’s getting really old.

Also 20% ray buff was not needed. I rather not take Ray and have death’s chill hit 9% harder than have ray and have Death’s Chill nerfed. Besides, if you get your frostbolts off, Ray will still get that 9% from Death’s Chill, so this is really only a 11% buff to ray. WTF. Dude, this is so far the worse set of changes I’ve ever seen them making for frostbolt spec mage. What are these developers doing? This is worse than when DF launched. Which mind you, was pretty damn good compared to Shadowlands Prepatch and s1/2 Frostbolt spec. FML.

Why are you replying this to me ? You’ve clicked the wrong reply button or am I missing some info ?

It was absolutely needed because while everything else got buffed in Frost’s kit on Beta, this is the first time Ray received any tuning. Ray had fallen out of the rotation and was being outdone even by Cold Front in pure single target before the tuning happened.

Also, Death’s Chill is cancer gameplay and probably hated by most players. I know the majority of Frost players I’ve talked to or seen posting feedback hate it in PvE.

I don’t remember saying ray didn’t need a 20% buff, clearly it needed buff. I’ve also not tested it on beta. Just very upset they had to nerf Death’s Chill for it because insert pve reason here.

Like it should still be an option for people to take if they want to play ray I guess.

These talents are also conflicting, deaths chill should buff frostbolt damage only and not general spell power. That is one thing I hated about SLs deathborne. Ray is like a 2:1 spell power coefficient but frostbolt is only 1:1. Feels gross.

Yes, having to track Death’s Chill stacks? No thank you, I hate that. It should be possible to track the stacks below our toon just as they did with SKB.

I did not use SKB before just of that reason. I did not want to use a weak aura to monitor the stacks.

Maybe, but in that case why even have DC when Slick Ice already buffs frostbolt.

I know it’s dumb! I’ll have to think about what they can do instead.

Got busy, edit 2 hours later:

I figured it out, Death’s Chill affects Frostbolt only, all the time, not just when Icy veins is active! The stacks can carry over into Icy Veins too. That way you can get 15 stacks before you start your go with Icy Veins+Slick Ice. Should be a 10 second buff, that can expire if not refreshed with a Frostbolt. Leaning into the word “Death’s” and “Chill” meaning you are less alive not having Icy Veins - you are in a moment of chilling. Not sending your lively go.

There are two reasons why Death’s Chill got nerfed:

• First one is hypothetical, but very likely and it’s that it spent ~1 month doing nothing on Beta and got fixed only recently when pre-patch came out. You’d literally talent into it and it wouldn’t buff spell power for a long time, so people believe that they buffed it because “why is no one picking it?” since it was just bugged, and now they’re reverting it after they fixed it.
  • Second reason is so it isn’t the best single target pick anymore since it’s supposedly an AoE/Cleave talent since it’s locked behind Fractured Frost. It’s legitimately impossible to organically stack it in single target if not taking the degenerate route of spamming Frostbolt 15 times before doing anything else, which is antithesis to current Frost gameplay and Icy Veins extension through Thermal Void.

Honestly, adding Death’s Chill was a massive mistake. The only reason people played Necrolord Frost in Shadowlands was because it was strong, not because it was enjoyable. When I say Death’s Chill, I mean the whole package of Death’s Chill, Fractured Frost and Cold Front.

Yea lol. I would love for them to make death’s chill buff frostbolt only and work during all times, not just inside of Icy veins. They could give other spells their proper tuning if they did this too, and not rely on death’s chill buffing overall spellpower. Uhg! This change will likely never happen this whole expansion!