Thermal Void baseline

Make it baseline and make Glacial Spike and Ray of Frost dps cooldowns that are an actual dps increase. Frost’s lack of talent choice is so cringe.

4 Likes

Ray of frost should be included on the two target cleave with splitting ice too. Its a cool ability, just never tuned well in pve.

1 Like

That would be cool as hell. It needs to happen.

1 Like

that wouldn’t do anything. Casting glacial spike is actually a DPS loss even if you got thermal void for free.

I think you missed the part where the OP mentioned to make GS and RoF actual dps increases.

I’d be down for that, though I don’t think RoF should cleave. Have it as the strong ST nuke, GS for cleave and then a 3rd talent that makes AoE better (Frost Bomb!?).

The fact that 99% of PvE Mages take TV should be a clear indication to Blizzard that it’s by far the best talent, and is one of the few things that makes Frost worth playing at the moment. That said, I can almost guarantee that instead of making it baseline and giving us more exciting options, they’ll just nerf it until it’s no longer good.

2 Likes

The thing about making GS and RoF “an actual dps increase” is how they would fit in the Frost Mage rotation. Currently, the only way to actually do damage is to put as many spells into your BF window as possible. The downside to that, is whether the spell in question is going to be as strong or stronger than Ice Lance in that same timeframe or not. Good example being Glacial Spike(even if built as a cd); given it has a 3 second cast time, needs to do at least 3x+ the damage of Ice Lance(will get to conduit issues with this later) while shattering(another issue number-wise which is it’s own topic) for it to safely get slotted in without being a dps loss. To top that all off, changing numbers will only make things worse since GS currently is mastery based meaning it can grow in damage as we get gear and potentially push IL out of the rotation. Even though this was only really an issue in BFA due to Blizzards poor choice of Azerite effects and corruption inflating secondary stats. Then we have RoF which while giving up to two free FoF’s over it’s duration again suffers the same issue; has to do enough damage to out-weigh the same number of Ice Lance and other spells over that duration. Which too, is not counting the lost procs when your casting time is dedicated to long casting spells. I.E. I could have gotten a second BF in the time it takes to channel RoF netting me four FoF procs instead of just two. Because currently Winter’s Chill is really only used for Ice Lance at this point so it’s a glorified FoF proc.

Basically the jist of the former paragraph; we’re having to force every spell we cast into the same proc keeping any additional spells that don’t bring their own shatter capability(Ebonbolt bringing a BF proc) unable to slot in unless they’re so good, they push everything else out.

I think a much more elegant solution would instead of just upping numbers(which you’re going to have to do anyway), is set Winter’s Chill to effect both a casted/channeled and instant spell instead of just two spells. Giving the room for spells like GS, RoF, and even FB to benefit from the proc outside if the shatter combo, and hopefully putting more emphasis on FoF procs for instant cast spells.

here’s the thing, If your best proc is always fingers of frost, and those are almost nonstop with freezing winds. Why would you press any other button?

Perhaps, “While IV is active, Ray of Frost hits all targets within 10yrds of target”. and graphically it splits like disintegrate does on D3 wizard.

3 Likes

That would be pretty cool.

I would be down for that. Icy veins has always felt like a pretty lackluster major cooldown next to its Fire and Arcane counterparts.

And what I would love to see replacing it in that row is the insanely awesome Frost Lance looking spell that originated with Jaina when she was a boss in BfA and is currently used by every other caster mob in Torghast, SoD, one of the M+ Domination affix mobs, and Kel’thuzad’s human form in his phylactery.

I will never understand why Blizzard keep designing these amazing visual assets (not just for spells but transmog items too) but only use them on NPCs and never give them to the players. It’s a monumentally foolish thing to do and comes off as incredibly shortsighted because there’s just no logical explanation on why they would put so much time and effort into creating these resources to then not deploy them to maximum effect.

1 Like

I still don’t know why there are so many talent tiers. Game would be better if most popular choices were just baseline and the talent tiers removed entirely. Anything more than 3-4 talent tiers is pointless for most specs in the game since the rest of their talent tiers are basically ‘set and forget’

1 Like