There's now 21 playable races in WOW, but only 5 viable for Arena

probably to remove claw/maledict in the 8.3 meta.

i’m not blaming anything. a racial isn’t going to hold you back much. I’m pointing out that in the high brackets, there isn’t much in the way of racial diversity. and that’s because some of the racials are just way better. It’s just a fact. 20% stun reduction and a free stun trink are objectively better for arena than any other racial.

you CAN push glad with any race, but most of the glads are one of the five races i mentioned. i don’t see a problem in saying that some more options would create better spreads for the game. there’s no good reason why, as someone pointed out, that 16 of the 21 races hardly get played and 70% of the bracket consists of just 5 races.

I got rank 1 as a panda :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

are you one of the spriest pandas who are above 3k?

Nope, was season 1 (bfa) and quit there after. Not priest

well, i want to reiterate that i’m completely aware that you can push any rating on any race (it was pretty much what i started my post with). I still think the prevalence of the top 5 races is directly because of how preferable their racials are in arena.

nearly 50% of ranked players are human or orc. i don’t think that’s just an aesthetic thing. it’s because humans and orcs are the best pvp races.

one of the big things about bfa was the addition of allied races. i truly believe that if either a) other racials were improved or b) humans and orcs were nerfed so as to not be the default pvp choice, we’d see a wider range of toons in the high bracket.

edit: i also think it’s in blizzard’s best interest to make more races “viable” (i use that word loosely because i know that any race can be used). they don’t get most of their money from subs nowadays. if people had more reasons to race change, they could line their pockets with pvpers race changing.

1 Like

Dwarf, DI Dwarf, Mechagnome, Goblin, Tauren are all decent races with okay racials. The fact you mentioned belf when belf is pretty terrible though…

2 Likes

arcane torrent isn’t worse than any of the racials you mentioned, though. plus, it’s not reflected in the numbers…

belf 17.8%
tauren 4.7%
goblins 1.6%
dwarf 1.4%
dark iron 1.1%
mechagnome 0.2% (LOL this is crazy considering their racials seem pretty decent for pvp)

AT is a free purge and purge is damned useful in arena.

Yeah because BELF used to be incredibly good for PVP because it was a silence.

1 Like

yes but that was even more OP than orcs and humans lol

Yeah people aren’t paying money to switch…

a lot of people paid to switch to nelf/dwarf because of maledict

Tauren are played because Troll sucks. The best druid racial by far is Shadowmeld. Nothing else is even close to that. Druids are locked Horde because every moron in the game seems to like to be ugly people so to be in a competitive community we’re stuck between crappy haste bonus or 2sec aoe stun.

1 Like

Its still around

Think it’s because it DRs with Poly and Trap, so it could be useless in Jungle and RMP, Disc’s 2 main comps.

Worgen. Hopefully never, bad enough feral druids empower furries
Panda has been a thing at high rating, zsteezy got r1on two pandas dread ssn

Yea that’s true. Might could work with other (weaker) comps though.

Switch the t with a j and enjoy the new one.

I don’t understand the point of this thread, at all. As the title is clearly false. Any race is viable. Racials barely affect the outcome of the match, <1% impact on win rate. Obviously, some race will always be the best race for each specific spec, and top players will pick that because they care more about winning than aesthetics. But any race is ‘viable’.

:face_vomiting:

Pretty sure undead players don’t care and play for aesthetics/mog.