There is something seriously missing from this game

I wanted to share some thoughts with the community here.

TLDR: Story is not maintained for past expansions. New players have no clue how to get invested into your current stories and expansions.

I am not a poster (unless a random question here and there recently), more of a lurker…I know that is not really respected here but I genuinely hope I do not come off like a troll of any kind. I’m just expressing an opinion and I think it could really help Warcraft in general.

I’m really concerned about a certain aspect of World of Warcraft.

The Story. The history. The Characters. The Quests. The World.

We have what over 30 years of Warcraft history and lore?

Why is this not being maintained in an understandable narrative in this game? Every single person I have attempted to get into this MMORPG (who do not just want to do some BGs and Arena) has left because Blizzard fails to lay out a understandable story for Warcraft. Unless you are a a long-time fan playing since firends and family alpha (lol sorry) you have absolutely NO idea what is going on story wise.

This is killing the game, and it’s turning new blood off. I’ve seen it.

How can Blizzard fix this?

There has been discussions constantly on the forums of massive campaign overhauls to explain the story, new quests, new scenerios, etc… I could go on. I’ve seen it brought up time and time again here and even privately in guild discords with new friends trying it out, or a random family member. It’s important to your RPG franchise blizzard and longevity in this game. People want to get invested. Or maybe not? (Wanna rush to end game? Let them be with their friends. Not a problem.)

Some of the ideas expressed here are fantastic why isn’t Blizzard doing something about it? Are they so far gone into the e-sports (I’m trying not to be negative towards other players and interests… Sorry) Mythic + grind fest etc to realize they made a online massively multiplayer role playing game? (the most succesful in the world, at that)

Not only that. But I see the way they treat past expansions as so disrespectful to the artists, the composers, the storytellers, the developers, the testers…everything. They just throw it all away, every expansion. Never to really get an update again…outside of a half-baked chromie time pos system that was generally misunderstood. ( story for a different day :roll_eyes:)

No story updates on old raids or quest lines at all. Just forgotten.

Is it too late to fix this? Can Blizzard find a way to fix this?

I genuinely want to hear peoples thought’s on this. I want to know what you have told friends you’ve recruited coming into (I have to do that embarrassing go to this Nobel youtube channel to understand I love him btw no hate. I listen every update myself) but c’mon.

Blizzard, please lay out a massive story overhaul for every expansion to explain “the story so far” make it worthy to the Warcraft name, the game us as loyal players for years has loved, you have loved. because we need new players. I LOVE new players, I love answeing easy questions in guide chat… making people genuinely happy to understand your game. This is becoming less and less. Your story makes no sense, Your past expansions in retail are left for dust and ruin.

Why are you doing this to the people that work for you and develop your World…let alone your fans.

Lets pick of the pieces for the future.

Thank you for reading, if you did. I would love this to be a respectful open discussion between everyone.

5 Likes

It definitely needs addressing in some way. I’m hoping MoP Remix can be something of a model for how to do timewalking going forward. A speedrun through an entire expansion’s story, raids and all. They need something like that for every expansion, and they should be accessible for every character at any time.

Any new player to WoW knows that there is a lot of story to catch up on. That’s a given for anyone coming into it this late. And while they shouldn’t need to do it all in order, it should all still be available to them in a coherent way for whenever they feel like tackling it.

It would also just be super neat for any veterans wanting to replay an old chapter of the story and have it still feel like a proper game.

3 Likes

This upset me a lot when Cataclysm replaced all the old story content. I expected them to modernize the structure and flesh out the lore, but instead it all got ripped out and replaced with filler. Always bugged me. It’s easy to think that as you are leveling up through zones you’re also progressing through time.

Huge missed opportunity back in the day.

1 Like

The big thing about this tho, it’s almost never new people complaining about it. I know a tonnnn that joined purely for m+ and progressive content, that don’t care about the story. There’s also a lot that joined for the rp aspect, and they mostly get a quick overview and then adapt their characters from other games. I genuinely believe the overall story isn’t maintained from the past because the masses just don’t care.

I’m not entirely sure.

It wouldn’t be easy. WoW has always been and more then likely always will be a combat first game, Blizzard could never mimic the long segments of cutscenes between gameplay like other MMOs can. For example being FFXIV.

And due to WoW’s age, the more time passes that a good system isn’t figured out the bigger the burden becomes. We’re talking 2 decades worth of story telling that any new player is gonna look at and be completely overwhelmed.

No matter what the system is, it also can’t be mandatory. Cause if a new player is pushing to give WoW a try and learns that they need to go through 9+ other expansions before even scratching the surface of what’s current. I’d say that’s even worse then the Level cap being 100+ (Which also doesn’t help matters, but that’s a different topic)

Finding a streamline for new players to follow, that isn’t overwhelming yet also gives a taste of what has happened for the past 9 expansions. Not the easiest thing to achieve.

already failed as they are keeping important lore removed for the sake of exclusivity of content that u could finish by doing lfr when it was current :rofl:

1 Like

While I don’t think this lessens the need to improve how old expansions are presented and played, I have noticed this as well. And it is kind of funny. Like we’re all proud of this thing we love and eager to show it to our friends, but we get real hung up on these flaws because we think they’ll judge us for it. It’s like frantically deep cleaning your house before guests come around, when really your place was probably fine anyway and they wouldn’t have cared.

1 Like

Wow is definitely missing something and it’s the social interaction. I have been playing cataclysm and I have been having a blast, I enjoy my friend and I arguing about a quest location or just meeting random people and questing alongside them.

I have to say… This is probably one of the better posts on the forums. Very concerning, very true. Thank you for the thread.

so true.

I had this same thought. Unfortunately they ain’t even bringing back old quests or anything this will be like retail stuck in MoP areas. I hope this changes.