There is literally nothing wrong with redeeming Sylvanas

Probably having to sit through her lectures as she tries to break him gave him better insight into how her brain actually works?

1 Like

Literally how are they trying to justify her actions? So far, Tyrande is 100% right and the only hangups with her by her allies is “if you suddenly explode and cease to be then how the hell is there going to be justice?” and she even acknowledges the fact and agrees. Teldrassil is actually being handled a lot better in Shadowlands right now than it ever was in BFA, and the fact that there is so much more to come through the Night Fae story and the looming possibility of a time skip should ideally bring some measure of hope that there will be resolution.

Its one thing to be reasonably and justifiably pessimistic about Teldrassil, but let’s not jump the gun and start making wild claims as if they’re undeniable fact.

2 Likes

I don’t think however that Anduin’s arguments should be what convinces her though.

They can shake her a bit, but if she truly believes that she is powerless, then despite what Anduin is saying she isn’t the one with the power in that room. The Jailor has power. The Arbiter system she thinks damned her has power. She doesn’t “hold the power” if that is her world view, and thus she should commit to her current path. Even if she hesitates atm.

Frankly, if the Jailor (and not the Arbiter, like she believes) is who’s actually responsible for dragging her into the Maw (and her Primes were playing her), then that reveal should be what both shatters her world view and what gives her the proper catalyst to get on a redemptive path. Not the sleepover musings of Teen Heart-throb Young Brad Pitt here. No matter how dreamy and hope filled his blue eyes are lol!

6 Likes

The problem is that the only thing to look forward to at this point is

1. Saving Tyrande
    or
  2. Watching Tyrande die

Neither of those options are satisfying because if we save Tyrande, she still won’t have achieved anything of significance with her Night Warrior powers, she still hasn’t seen justice done which was the entire point of the Night Warrior Ritual. I don’t think I need to explain how option 2 would be unsatisfying.

On top of that, we didn’t even save all Night Elf souls, we even had to destroy some of them and that’s Sylvanas fault, so I really wouldn’t be able to live with a justification of hers and letting her get away without a scratch.

3 Likes

Not addressed in a way you consider proper =/= forgotten.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s Anduin’s arguments that’s having an effect on her. I think it’s more of her using him to reflect a bit deeper down than she’s ever gone before–Anduin right now is only hitting soft spot after soft spot in hopes she does something drastic. He has never been this personally antagonistic to someone before, and while he has every right to be towards her (especially with all the torturing and everything), Anduin is a lot more calculated than most people realize.

If like you suggest that the Jailor is truly the mastermind behind everything (most likely the case given how simplified WoW’s writing is), Sylvanas will genuinely come to the conclusion on her own. Anduin right now is taunting a brick wall, while Sylvanas is too busy in her own head right now to really pay too much attention to what Anduin is saying. Otherwise, she would have turned the moment he shut her logic and viewpoint down in the very first Torghast cinematic between them.

I think you’re looking at it far to grand for that moment.

Nothing the Jailer can do will actually challenge her world view. Even if the Jailer decides to run her through, then her world view isn’t really challenged, she just got betrayed again. Which, while that can lead to a heel realization, I personally find that way way more boring because the agency is out of her hands, and dropped into the hands of another overwhelming force she has no control over.

By the choice being to run Anduin through and thus completing the circle of being a monster just like Arthas (the one who for her caused all of this), it is a lot more thematically sound and such a situation would but the agency on Sylvanas.

Now I think this would be the limit to how far Anduin goes, everything else would need to be Sylvanas just having the heel realization on her own.

1 Like

The problem is that the only thing to look forward to at this point is

1. Saving Tyrande
    or
  2. Watching Tyrande die

First of all: this is blatantly meant to mirror Illidan. This means Tyrande, in desperation, did something literally everyone warned her and anyone prior to her to never, ever do. She, like Illidan, at that point did not give a damn about the consequences on herself. In no way does the narrative point her out to be explicitly wrong about it. In fact, the narrative is going out of its way to justify her while giving her a way out. We’re not trying to purge Tyrande of the Night Warrior, we’re trying to help her gain control of it so she can do what she set out. We literally give up the right to deal with Sylvanas ourselves to her, so we can focus on saving who we can.

On top of that, we didn’t even save all Night Elf souls, we even had to destroy some of them and that’s Sylvanas fault, so I wouldn’t be able to live with a justification of hers and letting her get away without a scratch.

That’s
 That’s exactly my point. Redemption doesn’t mean Sylvanas is automatically pardoned for everything ever done, and good writing means she can be redeemed while answering for her crimes. Tyrande does not have to be denied her vengeance for her people in order for Sylvanas to be redeemed. Reminder that Nathanos genuinely taunted that killing him would only further his own goals, and is promptly denied said goals and left to the wayside. I sincerely doubt Danoseur would willingly crucify the character made into his own self insert and in the same breath claim Sylvanas “did nothing wrong”. That would take a level of delusion and a lack of self-awareness that would make Holinka’s comment about Ashran being a success seem surprisingly inflectional.

1 Like

Considering she seems to blame the Arbiter for plunging her into the Maw, and that at least seems genuine, then the realization that the Jailor and Primes have been playing her for years 
 and she’s essentially turned herself of Arthas in response to a Convenient Lie 
 should shatter her world view.

All she did, was in response to her hell in EoN. Her “seeing the world as it really is” was in response to her hell in EoN. So, if it was never her hell 
 then all she did was worthless to her, and her simply “seeing the world as someone else wanted her to”. I want the Jailor to use and discard her, and for that reality to come out in the process. I want her to be put in the same position as the one she’s placed so many of her own victims. I want her to be “the arrow in the Jailor’s quiver” 
 and once that happens, THEN she might find a path to redemption.

3 Likes

It would also open up her to finally having her own actual agency too.

2 Likes

I should have specified, nothing the Jailer can do on his own, should challenge her world view.

Being forced to recognize that she has just became Arthas (by running Anduin thru with Shalamourne), and now she has her own Lich King Master should further rock her to the core. THEN she should make the final decision on if she will embrace this Dark Lady she walked into, or the Ranger-General everyone remembers she used to be.

Having the Jailer just
toss her aside as I said would mean the decision of her defection (if it comes to that) is not hers, it’s the Jailers, and thus no actual agency for her.

Basically she should move to the path of redemption on her own, not be dropped on it by a convenient betrayal from her current Boss.

1 Like

I’m failing to see how dramatic and literary irony robs her of agency here. Her entire point is she claims she lacks it completely, and Anduin’s is it was always there and she was the one robbing herself of it in the first place. The Jailor wouldn’t be betraying her because by her own words he would be using tools fit to the situation. She wouldn’t and shouldn’t have that be her realizing he’s a jerk who was only ever using her for his gain.

The dramatic irony would be in place for her to face her own viewpoints and actions through her own introspection and come to the conclusion ultimately on her own. Neither Anduin or Zovaal will ever decide her fate for her–that would completely undermine the entire narrative that’s been dragged on for all this time, and would completely destroy the entire reason for Sylvanas working with Zovaal in the first place. It’s not a “convenient betrayal”, it’s her own logic and viewpoint being thrown back into her face for the first time in her (un)life, and having the personal agency to take a step back and consider the fact that she might actually have been wrong.

1 Like

There’s a major difference between “redeeming” Sylvanas and “justifying” her actions. The cake they ate is with BfA and how despite the fact that the majority Horde followed Sylvanas unquestioningly, they were allowed to blame their complacence wholly on Sylvanas and walk out of it scott-free.

Sylvanas is a lost cause and no matter what she does, there is no way she’s walking away from this expansion with her life intact, let alone, be absolved of punishment and rejoin the faction she betrayed.

She’s already been in the spotlight for 3 consecutive expansions, shewill be redeemed and die in the process, she has fulfilled her purpose in the narrative they’re trying to tell. There is no benefit in keeping her around aside from keeping half the playerbase enflamed.

1 Like

The issue I would have is that if that introspection comes purely after the fact.

If she’s dumped by the Jailer as expendable, and that’s the cause of her to go “huh maybe I was wrong” that means the motivation of that introspection comes directly from the act of being expendable to the Jailer. She didn’t realize it herself, she didn’t make the decision to stand against the Jailer, she was dumped so her only option now is to oppose him.

That’s why I feel the introspection needs to come before the Jailer Dump. She has to start thinking now, realize she may have effed up and continue to think about that until she’s given a final choice: embrace the darkness or stop.

2 Likes

Just like her Forsaken could theoretically have agency now with it being thrown in their face they were nothing but tools to be discarded. Granted, that would require some tact beyond Calia to do with Blizz, but the theme is the same. They have theoretically the chance at agency now because they’ve cruelly had the truth thrust at them that they turned themselves into Scourge for the convenience of someone just using them. And yes, she used half truths and convenient lies to compel them to do that. She shaped their world view in so many ways, just as the Jailor has apparently shaped Sylvanas’.

I don’t see a problem subjecting her to the same treatment and lesson she subjected so many others to? She’s been long overdue for a load of bad Karma, and thematic irony can provide her a path towards that agency. Just as her betrayal and truths opened up the Forsaken to it. As Velonara said “We will no longer be slaves to this torment” in 8.2.5. And perhaps Sylvie will be able to say the same soon.

3 Likes

Ah, I see where you’re coming from now. In that case, I agree wholeheartedly.

I feel that’s why it’s so important that the cinematics so far keep having her be visibly distraught about the whole thing. I think it implies she’s known full well the way the game is being played, and that’s why I think the dump would only serve to be the last piece of her introspection hitting home–instead of it alone being what does it.

Right now, she has long had the epiphany. She says just as much to Anduin in the first cutscene between them in the Tremaculum. She’s fully aware she’s expendable. It’s the punch of the dramatic irony that should, ideally, have her make up her mind rather than just have her say “wtf u lied to me” and suddenly she’s good again. Her making up a troubled mind that’s been mulling over it all for a long time now vs “curse your sudden yet inevitable betrayal”, in other words. Does that make sense?

1 Like

Yes it does make sense. That’s how I hope this plays out.

I know how much people just want to kill her and be done with it. And honestly I would have been fine with that. But I’d be lying if I didn’t say I wanted there to be
 you know an actually good story here.

Having her realize she was wrong and do something to try and atone is far more interesting to me. Especially in a game where our usual MO is to just murder the guy.

4 Likes

The problem is not so much about whether a given character can be redeemed or not, it’s the fact that so many people are just sick of Sylvanus as a character, and they would rather see her just killed off rather than have a redemption that would probably seem both rushed and forced.

3 Likes

Well we are, that’s the point. We’re trying to find a cure for her from the Night Warrior curse.

Good writing is nothing the writers are capable of, at all. They are absolutely going to justify Sylvanas and make her appear as “right” as we know Sylvanas can do no wrong.

Eh I’ll believe it when I see it. I’d rather bet that they will not only redeem her, but justify her AND paint her as our savior, also let her story continue into further expansions as a protagonist.

In order for someone to actually be “redeemed” she first has to admit she was wrong. And even that alone should not be enough. She actually needs to pay for her crimes. I personally wouldnt be opposed to have her spend a few millenia in Revendreth with Garrosh as her cellmate.