The WoW sub count has dropped 41% since Shadowlands launch

People are literally just making up stuff as they go. Blizzard doesn’t release subscription numbers. They only list their Blizzard games MAU and we got their 2020 Q4 report earlier last month. You literally won’t know how the game is doing until Q1 2021.

The numbers also only focuses on revenue from month to month sales, meaning it ignores any subs purchased through tokens, game time cards, 3/6 month plan (which ignores any who switched from a monthly sub to a 6 month for the mount). While also including any revenue gained from Blizzard store sales. (I don’t know if it’s just digital or if they also including the physical store) Which Call of Duty is now included in.

The data has major flaws.

3 Likes

Do you write press releases in the public forums of video games for a living? Or for free?

They purposely want to see wow fall in some way or another, even if it’s made up statistics

The game goes on with or without for all of us

There really isn’t any data.

Its not personnel. Its the only way to get new leadership in development. The game is extremely stale and needs fresh ideas and better story telling.

1 Like

Put quite simply: I only care about whether I’m enjoying the game or not. I don’t care about the playerbase statistics.

And I don’t see why it should matter to anyone else outside of Blizzard and their investors. lol

2 Likes

I have to wonder if maybe it’s time to try an expansion structure that doesn’t live or die on patch-centric boom-bust cycles. To me that seems like a direct result of specific designs rather than some unavoidable truth about MMOs.

The natural solution is to invest more heavily in content that’s ungated, but has a natural slow burn to it while scaling back investments in quick-burn “disposable” content. After a few patches like that there should be enough slow burn content to keep the larger body of players occupied, which would reduce pressure to churn out new stuff, allowing the focus to be shifted from quantity to quality. But I’m an app dev not a game designer, so :man_shrugging:

1 Like

The bigger launch was based on hype and the expectation of former players that the good/bad expansion alternation was a real thing. A lot of players who prepurchased or bought on faith without having researched the details found they got something quite different than they were expecting. So it’s only reasonable to assume that there’s been quite a fallout of players.

It will be the next few months that are telling. How will the nontent patch affect players who have little or nothing meaningful to do? When will 9.1 come out, and how will it affect players?

In the Bellular video they pointed out how design seems to be emphasizing spikes rather than encouraging retention.

Every player who subs for a month and then takes off 9 is a big revenue loss. But if Blizzard isn’t willing to provide content players want to do, and would rather do the fly-by-night thing, that’s all they’ll get.

1 Like

Its funny to me I posted the article with out any Bias but people want to assume its an attack on Blizzard and Wow.

Thats what it seems people come play for a bit unsub than resub next patch

I’m guessing they will do something to try to stem the outgoing tide.

My sub is up this month but my wife wants me to play old content in MoP with her so I might resub for a month. I still like everything pre-WoD.

Eh, seems like the normal routine. Probably will spike up on every patch and subside again 1-2 months later.

1 Like

I foresee a much smaller spike in resubs.

2 Likes

Hard to disagree with that statement.

Problem is that revenue spike wont be plowed back into WoW.

Oh you discovered hype, congratulations.
Every single piece of entertainment loses consumers after the initial release.

1 Like

Hard to disagree with that statement.

WoW is the milk cow until they get their mobile apps up and running. Keep it on life support and run it into the ground. About the time it died the microtransactions on mobile will be rolling in.

Idk why but that ‘41%’ in the title made me laugh :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

The same reason your here, looking for an echo chamber.

2 Likes

Game can rot as far as I care. I’m pretty much at the end of online gaming. Mind you, I’ll play some Mario Kart, or my gf plays Animal Crossing. Over all, online gaming doesn’t appeal to me anymore. Many factors are the reason, and the two most pressing issues I have with online gaming are:

#1: People on the internet in general are not worth knowing.
#2: Having to rely on anyone else to get any progress.

I’ve gone back to my slew of offline rpg’s. They don’t require me to prove myself in social clicks, nor do they require me to wait on others to get anything done. I don’t prove myself to anyone in real life, nor do I wait for anyone to assist me in completing my goals. I’m not going to do that on the internet with strangers either.

I’m a very independent / get it done kind of person. I don’t want to deal with anyone trying to control my game experience, or time. Online games are simply not for me, as I’ll be honest… most of my time on here involves seeking out solo content. I’m not a team player, and I’m extremely proud of it. :wink:

~^,.,^~

3 Likes