The WoW sub count has dropped 41% since Shadowlands launch

That’s not surprising, hardcore WOW players are playing no matter what and that wasn’t affected by the pandemic. Their consistent base hasn’t really changed. The theme park players who come to view the content and leave after a month or two mostly includes the pandemic people. That’s probably why they had a bigger release, but then after a few months it drops back to the same core playerbase.

But that’s not what this random article says, it says that the playerbase dropped by the same percentage as most post expansion releases at this time which means being that the launch was bigger that there are MORE players than previous expansions at this time.

so what are ppl playing now? watching paint dry?

i’d be hard pressed to find something else to play these days, nothing looks juicy.

maybe when d2 remaster comes :slight_smile:

Which is consistent with what they said in their 4Q 2020 investor presentation. They said something to the effect of “stronger player engagement than typically seen in the post launch period”

Based on the article on this thread … they are playing World of Warcraft

Literally the same thing that happens every expansion, because plenty of people buy the new expansion to play a month get what they want out of it, and then stop. :woman_shrugging:

nothing new here

1 Like

Is it really that hard to just quit playing? You have to come to the forums and post facts on why hating this game makes sense? People have been coming here to do nothing but complain for 14 years now and I just don’t get it

1 Like

I would not doubt that if it were possible to do a search for the phrase “WoW is dying” a person’s computer would crash. We are still sending in our $15/month and logging on though.

Ok? So what? Why does it matter to you if there’s 20 million or 2 thousand players playing? How does it affect you outside of the 100 people you interact with during the week?

Why do you personally care how many people play this game? As long as you’re having fun enough to stay subscribed, and there are enough people to keep the cross realm server play active, that’s all that matters.

It’s because obsession

There’s people that quit with their last “I quit!!” Thread, still browse the forums to see if the “doom and gloom” comes true even though they can’t reply

1 Like

which is funny as in this case the ‘doom and gloom’ people are posting about an article that shows that WoW is not just healthy but growing…

1 Like

You’re correct, it’s slightly bigger, which is a success for them. Probably some of that increase is pandemic people, but really their core hasn’t changed much at all which means most core wow players are perfectly happy with SL, contrary to what the GD whiners would have you believe.

1 Like

That doesn’t mean their data can’t be wrong, or in this case misused. They’ve only gathered month to month data, and only collecting revenue. That means they are not only ignoring a large chunk of data they’re also including every purchase made via the Blizzard store.

Nothing about the data they’ve collected is useful for determining sub count.

1 Like

I’m sure Blizzard doesn’t like losing monthly sub revenue by 41% early in an expac. I think it is a trend but one the devs are exacerbating with bad design decisions. They need a new leadership.

Yeah and that is why I don’t ever trust majority of the “I quit” threads

They’re still letting Blizzard get to them rent free in their minds even if they quit their sub, because they still browse the forums even if they can’t reply

1 Like

The info says the drop matches the pattern but doesnt elaborate if the 40% drop is more or less than previous expansions.

I’d wager its more.

2 Likes

I mean its not really a choice, that’s just how MMOs work. That’s how every MMO works. You can’t produce infinite content, you release your big patch and people come to try it, then many leave to wait for the next bump of content. Only a subset of people want to stick around and make alts or grind stuff out to the maximum level. They’re probably perfectly happy with these numbers.

Not surprised when only 2 out of the 12 classes are viable.

And half of the dps are bad because of an anti melee crusade with the designs.

1 Like

I reject that conclusion. Bliz wouldnt have rushed to change loot drops if people were happy.

1 Like

Well I’m basing my conclusion on these objective numbers and you’re basing it on your feelings, so…

2 Likes